Author Topic: Fouls drawn per field goal attempts for selected players  (Read 17135 times)

Re: Fouls drawn per field goal attempts for selected players
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 06:46:19 PM »

Kiorrik

Someone here on the blog said " You can always find a stat to prove your point"...or something like that. I think thats a good point.
Got a stat to prove it?

I would have quoted the poster if I could find the post.
No stats, no point! ;)

But yehr, that poster was right. There's stats for just about anything, and you can read into every stat in whatever way you want.

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 07:08:42 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
and for all you conspiracy theorists, you know who blows even lebron out of the water?

Corey Maggette, 20.7!

Must be Stern wants Maggette, the golden child of the NBA, to succeed, right? (958 FG attempts)

Lebron deserves his free throw attempts numbers, no doubt. However his lack of personal fouls and techs really bugs me. ..Not to mention his freedom to travel whenever he wants.

What is LeBron averaging this year?  3.5, 4 yards per carry?
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 07:32:09 PM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
Rondo has taken 10 fewer shots than Pierce!

Thanks for killer fact.  TP.

If I were GM, in Doc's exit interview after this season, this would be one of the first things I'd bring up.  Unreal.
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 07:37:45 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Someone here on the blog said " You can always find a stat to prove your point"...or something like that. I think thats a good point.
Got a stat to prove it?

No stats, no point! ;)

But yehr, that poster was right. There's stats for just about anything, and you can read into every stat in whatever way you want.

Quote from: action781 on April 04, 2010, at 08:24:58 am

[....] You can always find statistics to prove a point that you want to prove! [.....]

Here is the quote, Kiorrik. ;)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 07:51:44 PM by barefacedmonk »
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 07:40:18 PM »

Kiorrik

Got a stat to prove it?

No stats, no point! ;)

Quote from: action 781 on April 04, 2010, at 08:24:58 am

[....] You can always find statistics to prove a point that you want to prove! [.....]

Here is the quote, Kiorrik. ;)

Hahaha, TP for finding it. I was just kidding, you know that right? ;)

.oO( Here's to hoping you didn't spend more than a minute finding that quote! )

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 07:53:24 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
and for all you conspiracy theorists, you know who blows even lebron out of the water?

Corey Maggette, 20.7!

Must be Stern wants Maggette, the golden child of the NBA, to succeed, right? (958 FG attempts)
Stern loves Maggette. It was obvious when Maggette was on LAC that Stern loved them and made the refs protect Maggette, the future of the NBA.

This thread also confirms that Stern has been trying to help the Celtics maintain a title lead on LAL by instructing the refs to favor Pierce and to not call fouls against Kobe.

Funny the simple and obvious answer is staring everyone in the face. Lebron is the hardest player in the NBA to defend so he gets fouled a lot.

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 08:05:47 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
That's why people spend years in graduate school learning how to formulate problems and interpret the statistical results that come with them.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2010, 08:11:57 PM »

Kiorrik

That's why people spend years in graduate school learning how to formulate problems and interpret the statistical results that come with them.
To rub it in our faces over here at CelticsBlog? ;)

I'm not saying it's not an important thing, it's just that I think every now and then we look at stats a fair bit too much.

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2010, 08:21:48 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides
author=Kiorrik link=topic=36641.msg723291#msg723291 To rub
....it's just that I think every now and then we look at stats a fair bit too much.

Agree with you on this one, Kiorrik.

Well here are more stats for those interested in numbers:

Most Free Throws Attempted by a Small Forward - '09-'10 (Top 5)

Kevin Durant: 771
LeBron James: 763
Carmelo Anthony: 529
Corey Maggette: 529
Gerald Wallace: 514

According to the first post, Paul Pierce is number 2 on the list of most fouls drawn...yet, he does not even figure in the top 5 list of most free throws attempted by a small forward. All I'm trying to say is you can always use/interpret stats to your advantage and to help prove your point.

Stats don't mean a lot....unless you are a marketing company. :)

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 08:46:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
According to the first post, Paul Pierce is number 2 on the list of most fouls drawn...yet, he does not even figure in the top 5 list of most free throws attempted by a small forward. All I'm trying to say is you can always use/interpret stats to your advantage and to help prove your point.

If you're willfully misinterpreting them, sure.

You'll note that Paul Pierce is number two at drawing fouls per shot attempt. He has far fewer shot attempts than the other SFs, hence why he's not top 5 in free throws.

Presenting a biased example, and then using your own biased example in an argument isn't a good way to take down statistics.

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 08:47:46 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Corey Maggette, 20.7!

Lebron deserves his free throw attempts numbers, no doubt. However his lack of personal fouls and techs really bugs me. ..Not to mention his freedom to travel whenever he wants.

haha. Seriously! TP

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2010, 08:49:54 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg

Corey Maggette, 20.7!

haha. Seriously! TP

Back of the Year
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2010, 08:50:39 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides

You'll note that Paul Pierce is number two at drawing fouls per shot attempt. He has far fewer shot attempts than the other SFs, hence why he's not top 5 in free throws.

Presenting a biased example, and then using your own biased example in an argument isn't a good way to take down statistics.

I noticed that when I looked up the stats. All I was trying to say is that you can always find some stat to prove your point.

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2010, 09:00:03 PM »

Kiorrik

Corey Maggette, 20.7!

:')

I lol'd and TP'd.

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2010, 09:01:37 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I noticed that when I looked up the stats. All I was trying to say is that you can always find some stat to prove your point.
So by stating something incorrectly (or just making stuff up), you can prove/support anything?

Umm, okay you win that argument...