Author Topic: KG Said It Best:  (Read 17409 times)

KG Said It Best:
« on: March 31, 2010, 10:25:32 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
(paraphrasing)

"It was like we were playing Michael ____ Jordan out there tonight.  He took...I think he took [dang] near as many free throws as our whole team out there.  'Aint nothing you can do."

Yep.

As a poster who is often quick to point out things the Celtics did wrong, I want to come out right now and be clear: I watched the whole game tonight and I thought the Celtics played pretty well.  I couldn't single out one thing that I thought they really failed at.  They had a hard time containing Durant (shot 50% from the floor), but he hit a lot of tough shots.  You can't blame them for that.  Bottom line, the Celtics got owned at the free throw line, despite the fact that they scored more than half of their points in the paint.  You simply cannot win under those circumstances. 

I've made this offer before: I'll give a bunch of TPs to anybody who can find me a statistic for Celtics free throw attempts at home versus on the road, and Celtics free throw attempts at home versus opponent free throw attempts at the Garden. 

I'd be very interested to see those numbers, because my subjective impression over the course of this season is there have been a lot of home games when the opponent has taken a lot more free throws than the C's.  The Celtics don't seem to get much respect at home, either from their opponents or the refs.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

Re: KG Said It Best:
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 10:30:09 PM »

Offline reggie35

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 51
KG in particular is getting no respect from the officials. He's getting hammered with no calls coming his way. There were three or four possessions in a row down the stretch where KG was fouled and no whistle. He was also illegally screened on Green's second three pointer.

This is a trend that's been going on for a while. I don't know if his trash talking has caught up to him or what, but he get's no calls lately.

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 10:31:54 PM »

Offline MaxwellSmart86

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 144
and Doc pretty muck said it too---without saying it---we lost at the FT line.

Plain and simple---the refs won this game tonight!

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 10:34:18 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Well, I tend to agree with what my dad said to me about the issue, although he tends to exaggerate for effect - the fact is, the NBA wants to market the new upcoming stars (Durant, LeBron, Wade etc).  Has-beens just don't get the calls even though they are well known.  

Paul Pierce used to get crazy star calls like the bogus three free throws Durant got in the 3rd quarter, or that ridiculous call on Pierce's all-ball reach in, but at this point in his career he's kind of a has been.  In fact, the Celtics' roster is full of former stars who no longer get star recognition.  

If anybody on our team is going to get star calls, it's Rondo - and he can't make most of his free throws!  It's definitely a tough situation to be in, and it's really hard to watch as a fan.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 10:38:29 PM »

Kiorrik

Well said Pos, TP.

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 10:41:55 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Well, I tend to agree with what my dad said to me about the issue, although he tends to exaggerate for effect - the fact is, the NBA wants to market the new upcoming stars (Durant, LeBron, Wade etc).  Has-beens just don't get the calls even though they are well known.  

Paul Pierce used to get crazy star calls like the bogus three free throws Durant got in the 3rd quarter, or that ridiculous call on Pierce's all-ball reach in, but at this point in his career he's kind of a has been.  In fact, the Celtics' roster is full of former stars who no longer get star recognition.  

If anybody on our team is going to get star calls, it's Rondo - and he can't make most of his free throws!  It's definitely a tough situation to be in, and it's really hard to watch as a fan.

Well put. In the playoffs we'll at least see the upper crust of the referees. And all the games are under a greater microscope from the media, especially after the recent scandals.

I'm holding out hope.  :'(

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 10:42:45 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Completely agree when I heard KG say that PosImos TP!
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 10:49:58 PM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
to me here is the shame.

this was one of the best played, most entertaining games of the year. both teams played hard and well. durant is amazing, as is westbrook. and it is ruined by another brutal officating game. the league has a betting/gambling/ref scandal and it is buried. here we are, not even a year later, donaghy's phone buddies still work games, the officiating has not improved, stern smugly denies there is a problem, espn does not want to tarnish the nba product, so they never bring it up.

but the league has a serious problem. and when great games by two good teams are ruined by three dorks with whistles, make no mistake, there is a problem.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 10:52:26 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
to me here is the shame.

this was one of the best played, most entertaining games of the year. both teams played hard and well. durant is amazing, as is westbrook. and it is ruined by another brutal officating game. the league has a betting/gambling/ref scandal and it is buried. here we are, not even a year later, donaghy's phone buddies still work games, the officiating has not improved, stern smugly denies there is a problem, espn does not want to tarnish the nba product, so they never bring it up.

but the league has a serious problem. and when great games by two good teams are ruined by three dorks with whistles, make no mistake, there is a problem.

Agree on all counts. TP.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 10:54:19 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
If they do get less respect from the refs it isnt David Stern and it isnt a group conspiracy by the refs.  

Its because they talk alot of trash and complain almost every call. There was a poll of NBA players not to long ago that asked Who talked the most trash in the NBA?. KG came in 1st and Pierce came in like 5th then Rasheed and Perkins cmon. Even Finley commented on how much smack was talked in practice after his first week.

""A lot of talking - trash talking,"  Finley said. ...

just play the game guys.

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 10:55:48 PM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
Agreed with all.....

KG is known for using an expletives every other word.  Yet he never drops one in press conferences.  It was no mistake he dropped it tonight.  He will gladly taking the ensuing fine to send a message to the league and good for him.
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 10:58:26 PM »

Kiorrik

Is there any place where you can listen to or look at the full post-game pressers? :(

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 10:59:03 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
If they do get less respect from the refs it isnt David Stern and it isnt a group conspiracy by the refs.  

Its because they talk alot of trash and complain almost every call. There was a poll of NBA players not to long ago that asked Who talked the most trash in the NBA?. KG came in 1st and Pierce came in like 5th then Rasheed and Perkins cmon. Even Finley commented on how much smack was talked in practice after his first week.

just play the game guys.

I agree with some of what you are saying, but if they do dock us for trash talking, then that IS a league wide conspiracy because the rules say jack about trash talking.

Bird did it. Jordan did it. It's part of the psychological part of the game and I love it personally.

TP to op for the post. Agree on all counts.

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 10:59:08 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides

just play the game guys.

They talked a lot of trash in 2008 too...a lot more actually. Trash talk is not directed at the refs.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 11:01:11 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Well put. In the playoffs we'll at least see the upper crust of the referees. And all the games are under a greater microscope from the media, especially after the recent scandals.
I'm holding out hope.  :'(

While I want to say the refs will get better in the playoffs..... We are playing (likely) several of the aforementioned young stars. Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Joe Johnson are all possible matchups.

I fear it will be more '8 on 5' at the Garden.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku