Author Topic: Anyone with recording experience? (music)  (Read 5613 times)

Anyone with recording experience? (music)
« on: March 16, 2010, 09:31:04 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Just wondering if anyone had any recording experience.. Basically, I'm trying to put together a ghetto vocal booth. I don't really have a ton of money to spend, but I can splurge a little right now.

I know someone who stole a porta-potty and turned that into a vocal booth, but I don't think I'm too into doing that haha.. So if anyone has any suggestions, or anything like that.. Ideas on what to do, whatever.. That'd be awesome and I'd appreciate the advice.

Re: Anyone with recording experience? (music)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 09:50:28 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5351
  • Thumper of the BASS!
man..ya bathroom..

run a mic in there..thats ya booth..

real talk..outkast did they early stuff like that..

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 09:51:15 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Word aapp!
man..ya bathroom..

run a mic in there..thats ya booth..

real talk..outkast did they early stuff like that..

Yea? Wouldn't that be pretty echoie though?

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 09:54:42 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5351
  • Thumper of the BASS!
u must gotta huge bathroom...lol..if u livin like that a small closet would werk..

i do this music stuff and i perfer the live sound of jus a mic and me in the open..

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 10:08:59 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Word aapp!
u must gotta huge bathroom...lol..if u livin like that a small closet would werk..

i do this music stuff and i perfer the live sound of jus a mic and me in the open..

Luckily, I do have a small closet.. And not that the bathroom is huge, actually it's really small.. It just seems to echo a lot, idk. I was thinking about lining my closet with some acoustic foam and going from there.

And just curious, What program do you use to record?

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 10:21:41 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
All you need is Nuendo to record, a decent mic and stand. To sound proof get some egg crate foam from home depot. put mic in closet if not use in the open depending on what type of quality mic you get. use a minimal reverb, equalizing synthesizer and normalize @ .5 to prevent clipping (resulting in blown home, car or headphone speakers)... and last but not least... PLEASE NO AUTO-TONE!!! lol ;D

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 10:25:41 PM »

Offline scurvmeister

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 30

Luckily, I do have a small closet.. And not that the bathroom is huge, actually it's really small.. It just seems to echo a lot, idk. I was thinking about lining my closet with some acoustic foam and going from there.

Use the closet. You can always add reverb later to your liking. Lining it with acoustic foam will help, though honestly, you may not notice the difference between that and a bunch of clothes. You'd be surprised how well you can record these days with just a decent mic.

I write songs and will often record them. I'm using Cubase. I had one of the full versions a few years ago, then started using Cubase AI4, which came with a mixer I bought, even though it's like a lite version. Still gets the job done.

What kind of stuff will you be recording?

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 10:51:36 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Word aapp!
All you need is Nuendo to record, a decent mic and stand. To sound proof get some egg crate foam from home depot. put mic in closet if not use in the open depending on what type of quality mic you get. use a minimal reverb, equalizing synthesizer and normalize @ .5 to prevent clipping (resulting in blown home, car or headphone speakers)... and last but not least... PLEASE NO AUTO-TONE!!! lol ;D

Thank you.. I honestly appreciate all the advice. As for Auto-Tune, If I ever, EVER use auto-tune, I give you full permission to hunt me down and hang me from telephone wires. I HATE auto-tune with a passion lol

Use the closet. You can always add reverb later to your liking. Lining it with acoustic foam will help, though honestly, you may not notice the difference between that and a bunch of clothes. You'd be surprised how well you can record these days with just a decent mic.

I write songs and will often record them. I'm using Cubase. I had one of the full versions a few years ago, then started using Cubase AI4, which came with a mixer I bought, even though it's like a lite version. Still gets the job done.

What kind of stuff will you be recording?

Hmm. Never thought about clothes. I have a bunch laying I don't wear anymore. Good idea, sir.

And I'll be recording mostly rap vocals in there, I think.

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 10:53:51 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
If you can find a couple mattresses, stand them up, and you have a perfect sound booth.  If you did do it in a room with hard walls/floor, I would recommend hanging up some blankets or something to deaden the sound, and cut down on the echo.  Unless you have a great room to do the recording in, you probably want to just get the most pure sound, with the least amount of echo as possible, and then add reverb or effects after the fact.

Really though, if you have a decent mic (and you don't need to spend a fortune these days, I got great sound out of a $200 Audio-Technica studio condenser), a quality pop-filter (VERY important), and a quality interface and pre-amp, it is possible to get a very good sound.  You just need to know how to work it.

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 11:23:14 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Word aapp!
If you can find a couple mattresses, stand them up, and you have a perfect sound booth.  If you did do it in a room with hard walls/floor, I would recommend hanging up some blankets or something to deaden the sound, and cut down on the echo.  Unless you have a great room to do the recording in, you probably want to just get the most pure sound, with the least amount of echo as possible, and then add reverb or effects after the fact.

Really though, if you have a decent mic (and you don't need to spend a fortune these days, I got great sound out of a $200 Audio-Technica studio condenser), a quality pop-filter (VERY important), and a quality interface and pre-amp, it is possible to get a very good sound.  You just need to know how to work it.

I don't really have any room for any mattresses. I'm completely  cramped as is, and really I have most of my gear on the floor. Turntables, vinyls, mixers, an MPC, a guitar and a bass. All on the floor. It pains my physically, but i don't have much of a choice, sadly.

And I've been around recording studios for a few years, just haven't really put any of my own stuff down, as of yet. So I have a pretty good idea of what's going on, I think. Thank you for all the info though, much 'ppreciated.

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 11:48:44 PM »

Offline BadBoyBosh

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • drink it in baby

use this

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 12:09:14 AM »

Offline celts4life

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
I figure you know this, but if you are a Mac user then you've got GarageBand at your service for free.  It's not the deepest software in the world but, from what you've indicated, you're just starting out on your own and thus likely won't need a program such as ProTools, Logic, Cubase, etc.  Furthermore, it's about as simple to use as they come.

In terms of hardware, I'd suggest investing in a decent pair of studio monitors and/or actual studio headphones, as they really come in handy during playback.  Now, this is less important for hip-hop because rapping isn't always as much about being on key as it is putting a few good rhymes together with a decent flow and a strong beat.  However, if you'll also be producing and creating a beat, especially with more than an MPC (if you play the piano, for instance), the monitors will come in handy because you'll really be able to sit back and hear how the track is coming together.  Studio monitors and headphones are usually better options than speakers from say, a boombox, and headphones for your iPod.  The reason for this is that the sound is much more neutral, with less emphasis put on bass.  For instance, while the Beats by Dre headphones are nice and pretty fashion-forward, they still bang so much that it can be tough to adjust your track to the proper level for mixing.  There are plenty of websites and forums out there that review monitors and headphones, so if you're interested, I can provide links to a few.

Someone also mentioned getting a good pop filter for your mic, and I'd agree.  However, if you're on a budget, there's actually a fairly decent way to get the same effect with just a couple household items (providing you've got a sister or a girlfriend).  You'll need a mic (of course), a mic stand, a wire hanger, and a woman's nylon.  You cut or untwist and bend the hanger into a shape in which one end wraps around the mic stand (to hold it in place) and the other end forms a circle.  You then take the nylon and stretch it over the circle and down the hanger where you can then tie it off.  If you can visualize it, it's basically the same thing as a pop filter (and functions as such), but it's cheaper... and a little bit uglier.  :)

If you've got any more questions or need any advice, feel free to ask.  Glad to see there are some other musicians hanging around here!

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 12:50:33 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Word aapp!
I figure you know this, but if you are a Mac user then you've got GarageBand at your service for free.  It's not the deepest software in the world but, from what you've indicated, you're just starting out on your own and thus likely won't need a program such as ProTools, Logic, Cubase, etc.  Furthermore, it's about as simple to use as they come.

In terms of hardware, I'd suggest investing in a decent pair of studio monitors and/or actual studio headphones, as they really come in handy during playback.  Now, this is less important for hip-hop because rapping isn't always as much about being on key as it is putting a few good rhymes together with a decent flow and a strong beat.  However, if you'll also be producing and creating a beat, especially with more than an MPC (if you play the piano, for instance), the monitors will come in handy because you'll really be able to sit back and hear how the track is coming together.  Studio monitors and headphones are usually better options than speakers from say, a boombox, and headphones for your iPod.  The reason for this is that the sound is much more neutral, with less emphasis put on bass.  For instance, while the Beats by Dre headphones are nice and pretty fashion-forward, they still bang so much that it can be tough to adjust your track to the proper level for mixing.  There are plenty of websites and forums out there that review monitors and headphones, so if you're interested, I can provide links to a few.

Someone also mentioned getting a good pop filter for your mic, and I'd agree.  However, if you're on a budget, there's actually a fairly decent way to get the same effect with just a couple household items (providing you've got a sister or a girlfriend).  You'll need a mic (of course), a mic stand, a wire hanger, and a woman's nylon.  You cut or untwist and bend the hanger into a shape in which one end wraps around the mic stand (to hold it in place) and the other end forms a circle.  You then take the nylon and stretch it over the circle and down the hanger where you can then tie it off.  If you can visualize it, it's basically the same thing as a pop filter (and functions as such), but it's cheaper... and a little bit uglier.  :)

If you've got any more questions or need any advice, feel free to ask.  Glad to see there are some other musicians hanging around here!

I actually use a gaming headset for almost everything. The Astro A40 is byfar the best headphone set up I have ever owned. If it's Call of Duty or music, it has to be the Astro. Twas a little pricey, but well worth it, imo.

Thanks for the pop filter idea, probably wouldn't have thought of that. Luckily, there isn't much I do that's pretty haha so it should work out great  :D

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 02:32:07 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I've got a 32-track digital studio in my house, (built around a Korg D32-XD multi-track), and a ton of other gear like a Yamaha S90, Korg Motif, Boss DR-880, Aphex 230, Evantide Harmonizer, Lexicon MX300, Alesis DEQ230, Kawai K1R, Yamaha TX81-Z, Audio-Technica AT450, AKG K-701 Headphones, (best made), and a bunch of other stuff. I primarily use it for recording my own stuff for copyright/sale purposes, but do some production for other bands/artists as well, (I know you're in Maine, so if I can ever help out, let me know). I have a three-room set-up with separate sound booth, vocal booth, drum/percussion booth, and use professional foam baffling, which is great, but it's expensive for larger areas. If you want it for just a vocal-sized booth, you could do it fairly cheaply, and you can buy it at like Z-Zounds, AMS, Musician's Freind, etc. A friend of mine has a recording set-up as well and he uses hanging baffling which might also be a great option for you, as you can hang them at the level of your mics, and it will still deflect like a whole room. Both he and I got all our sound-proofing suppiles here, as the prices are more wholesale, and they have the most options, (you should check it out):

http://www.soundproofcow.com/soundproofing-baffles/?gclid=CJWNgMyOv6ACFdlw5QodemYKTg&lcode=EA81268

Now don't laugh, but when I was first starting out and couldn't afford the pro stuff, I used empty boxes of different sizes and attached them to the walls, coated them with this spray rubber particulate paint, and it was awesome. I've also had other musician friends who have used stacked boxes to surround them for vocal recording. I've seen suggestions here like mattresses, etc., which is OK, but the problem is room size, getting them to stand up, cost, and the fact that they don't baffle as well as an empty box because the sound is still carried through the substance of the mattress. Yeah, it may sound stupid, but the baffling/soundproofing I got with empty boxes was as good as the professional stuff I have now, (seriously), and it costs next-to-nothing. Also, you've got to use a double or triple-layer pop filter, it's essential equipment for any vocal recording. And if you want to invest in an amazing vocal processor, the Aphex 230 does EVERYTHING ... it's the best vocal processing unit I've ever used and takes the place of just about everything else, (except an effects unit) ... check it out online sometime, (it's freaking awesome!):

http://www.aphex.com/230.htm

Hope this has helped ... if you ever want to visit my studio just let me know ... it's located in Gorham. Good luck with your project! ;)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 03:57:13 AM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 02:59:10 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Word aapp!
I've got a 32-track digital studio in my house, (built around a Korg D32-XD multi-track), and a ton of other gear like a Yamaha S90, Korg Motif, Boss DR-880, Aphex 230, Evantide Harmonizer, Lexicon MX300, Alesis DEQ230, Kawai K1R, Yamaha TX81-Z, Audio-Technica AT450, AKG K-701 Headphones, (best made), and a bunch of other stuff. I primarily use it for recording my own stuff for copyright/sale purposes, but do some production for other bands/artists as well, (I know you're in Maine, so if I can ever help out, let me know). I have a three-room set-up with separate sound booth, vocal booth, drum/percussion booth, and use professional foam baffling, which is great, but it's expensive for larger areas. If you want it for just a vocal-sized booth, you could do it fairly cheaply, and you can buy it at like Z-Zounds, AMS, Musician's Freind, etc. A friend of mine has a recording set-up as well and he uses hanging baffling which might also be a great option for you, as you can hang them at the level of your mics, and it will still deflect like a whole room. Both he and I got all our sound-proofing suppiles here, as the prices are more wholesale, and they have the most options, (you should check it out):

http://www.soundproofcow.com/soundproofing-baffles/?gclid=CJWNgMyOv6ACFdlw5QodemYKTg&lcode=EA81268

Now don't laugh, but when I was first starting out and couldn't afford the pro stuff, I used empty boxes of different sizes and attached them to the walls, coated them with this spray rubber particulate paint, and it was awesome. I've also had other musician friends who have used stacked boxes to surround them for vocal recording. I've seen suggestions here like mattresses, etc., which is OK, but the problem is room size, getting them to stand up, cost, and the fact that they don't baffle as well as an empty box because the sound is still carried through the substance of the mattress. Yeah, it may sound stupid, but the baffling/soundproofing I got with empty boxes was as good as the professional stuff I have now, (seriously), and it costs next-to-nothing. Also, you've got to use a double or triple-layer pop filter, it's essential equipment for any vocal recording. And if you want to invest in an amazing vocal processor, the Aphex 230 does EVERYTHING ... it's the best vocal processing ubit I've ever used and takes the place of just about everything else, (except an effects unit) ... check it out onoine sometime, (it's freaking awesome!):

http://www.aphex.com/230.htm

Hope this has helped ... if you ever want to visit my studio just let me know ... it's located in Gorham. Good luck with your project! ;)

You sir, look like you're packing some serious heat. Never would have guessed you had a studio like that, sounds awesome. Like usual, great info man. I'm taking notes from everything in this thread and I think I'll be able to get something going real soon.

But of course, as soon as I type this my backspace key falls off my computer. Gotta love it haha