Author Topic: In the latest 'LeBron is a tool' news, he now wants to wear #6  (Read 13540 times)

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Quote from: ESPN
LeBron James could reportedly have a new number next season, but Cleveland Cavaliers fans hope the words remain the same.

James filed paperwork to switch from No. 23 to No. 6, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported on Monday. He beat a Wednesday deadline to make the request.

The All-Star said in November that he was thinking of giving up 23 out of respect for his hero Michael Jordan, but at that time he was "50-50," according to the newspaper.

"I've done it," James told the Plain Dealer. "I already sent it in. I'm going to be No. 6."

Six is James' jersey number on the Olympic team, but the NBA does not have to grant his request.

James will be part of the vaunted 2010 free-agent class that includes Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. While Bulls fans would like to see him try to make No. 6 as legendary as No. 23 in Chicago, New York has also maneuvered to have enough cap space to sign James.

Cleveland can sign James to a longer, more lucrative deal, however.

LeBron, out of deference to what some call the greatest basketball player of all time, has decided to switch his number, to WHAT SOME CALL THE GREATEST BASKETBALL PLAYER OF ALL TIME.

My respect for LeBron's game is rapidly losing ground to my disdain for LeBron as a person.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: In the latest 'LeBron is a tool' news, he now wants to wear #6
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 12:48:10 AM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
On a side note, have you watched "More Than a Game"; Lebron is awesome. Loved the movie.

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 01:18:13 AM »

Offline RedVision

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
i despise lebron the Cavs and all his BS at least he's staying true to himself and picking #6...lbj=tool

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 01:25:07 AM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
i despise lebron the Cavs and all his BS at least he's staying true to himself and picking #6...lbj=tool

yeah, it's a shame that LeBron could never don that number 6 in Celtics green, seeing as THE Lord of the Rings (Bill Russell) retired it in 1972...I guess he's not a big fan of, you know, winning  ;)  :P
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 05:19:53 AM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97
This is so disrespectfull to Bill Russell and Julius Erving...I really hope Magic or Celtics beat him this year and then he sign with Knicks and hopefully won 0 rings in career...Punk
No1 Celtics fan in Croatia

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 05:43:47 AM »

Offline potsie023

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
Wow... I mean I dislike LeBron as a person as much as the next C's fan but you can't really give him that much crap about a jersey number. There's only 99 to choose from, no one really uses anything over 40 or so that often, so he's pretty much going to "disrespect" some kind of legend no matter what he does. I don't really believe it's anything against Bill Russell, when you think of Bill you (or I, at least) don't immediately think of #6. With Jordan, he's so attached to #23 it's hard to separate the two. LeBron is almost definitely a tool, but this isn't the reason.

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 08:56:29 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2741
Wow... I mean I dislike LeBron as a person as much as the next C's fan but you can't really give him that much crap about a jersey number. There's only 99 to choose from, no one really uses anything over 40 or so that often, so he's pretty much going to "disrespect" some kind of legend no matter what he does. I don't really believe it's anything against Bill Russell, when you think of Bill you (or I, at least) don't immediately think of #6. With Jordan, he's so attached to #23 it's hard to separate the two. LeBron is almost definitely a tool, but this isn't the reason.

I have to disagree here, this is blatantly disrespectful to Bill Russell. After his last comments about Jordan being the greatest of all-time, even Jordan hinted that Lebron should tone it down and give a nod to guys like Russell, Bird, and Magic. Lebron is a jerk, I hope the cavs get kicked out in the ECF and he ships out to NJ so we can beat his ass at least 4 times a year.

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 08:59:28 AM »

Offline RedVision

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
Supposedly there are those out there, not sure if they would be called conspiracy theorists or not but, have linked Lebron and Kobe for that matter for being a part of some masonic cult which were the reasons for jersey changes and marketing etc according to them.

Kinda makes sense bc LBJ is somewhat a basketball historian and I'm sure he knows that number 6 was worn by Russell and the Doc

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 09:26:35 AM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24
LeBron made a mistake about Russell - since he chose #6 because of the Olympics ... somehow that he identifies himself with Team USA does not seem to matter. 

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 10:08:10 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Please...respect for MJ??
David gave him a call and said: "Hey LeBron, the market is full with #23's and nobody is buying jerseys anymore, could you/you will switch numbers for some stupid reason, it worked with Kobe and as a bonus I'll keep those refs in your pocket?!"
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 10:17:33 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 610
Please...respect for MJ??
David gave him a call and said: "Hey LeBron, the market is full with #23's and nobody is buying jerseys anymore, could you/you will switch numbers for some stupid reason, it worked with Kobe and as a bonus I'll keep those refs in your pocket?!"

Haha, perfect.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 10:19:14 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Didn't we already discuss this??

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Yes but that was a while ago and he was just floating the idea. Now it is official.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 10:48:11 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
This is so disrespectfull to Bill Russell and Julius Erving...I really hope Magic or Celtics beat him this year and then he sign with Knicks and hopefully won 0 rings in career...Punk

I believe the reason he likes #6 is out of deference to Dr. J.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 10:50:22 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yes but that was a while ago and he was just floating the idea. Now it is official.

Ah, gotcha...just wasn't sure if I was having Deja vu