Author Topic: How impressive is Daryl Morey  (Read 6639 times)

How impressive is Daryl Morey
« on: February 18, 2010, 06:44:29 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Whoa. He has done an amazing job since 2007, but i think this deal takes the cake.

I posted this in jest a few days ago, and the conversations came about as close to this farce as possible:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Video-Knicks-Rockets-backroom-trade-negotiat?urn=nba,219962

Now, I like Carl Landry. He's a good young role player. But for Carl Landry he got:

1) Kevin Martin -- a really talented scorer for a team more or less devoid of scorers. He's on a reasonable contract. He can shoot and create his own shot. He gets to the line. He couldn't be a much better fit with Yao, when he comes back. Meanwhile, he helps Brooks, he helps Ariza, etc etc. He'll be just fine in their team defensive scheme.

2) The right to swap picks with the Knicks next year -- if the Knicks fail to get Lebron or Wade, how good is that pick going to be?

3) The Knicks 2012 pick -- see above;

4) Jordan Hill -- he's not smelling particularly good right now, but it's too early to write off a guy of his size (which they need) and athleticism. He'll get a better chance in Houston.

======================

Highway Robbery
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: How impressive is Daryl Morey
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 06:51:47 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Daryl Morey is the best GM in the league.  I fully expect him to have at least one championship ring within 10 years, if not more.

He doesn't have a ton to work with, but he's still doing a great job.

Considering how well the Rockets have done without any stars this year, when Yao gets back next year and K-Mart gets settled in, they could actually be contenders.

I'm hoping he sees something in Jordan Hill than D'Antoni and the Knicks didn't.  I want Jordan Hill to become the next Amare down in Houston.  That would be awesome.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 06:56:04 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Morey is definitely impressive.  He hasn't drafted a bust yet, and he's made smart free agent signings and trades.

The deals today, in my mind, were excellent.  I saw people suggesting that Morey overpaid by giving up Landry for Martin, and I just don't understand that.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 07:00:35 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Morey is definitely impressive.  He hasn't drafted a bust yet, and he's made smart free agent signings and trades.

The deals today, in my mind, were excellent.  I saw people suggesting that Morey overpaid by giving up Landry for Martin, and I just don't understand that.

Martin fills a position and role of need for them; now the Rockets finally have a go-to scorer.  Neither Brooks, Landry, nor Ariza are anything more than complementary scorers.  Once Yao gets back, they'll have two solid scoring options with a 2-3 good complementary scorers.

I'm assuming Daryl Morey sees a nice amount of potential in Jordan Hill, which means he'll almost certainly eventually be at least decent if not pretty good.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 07:26:40 PM »

Offline buzz

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 29
I'm not that impressed. Exactly what are they building off of down there? Overpaid, overrated swingmen and some mid-to-late round picks?

You win in this league with top tier talent. Not only do they not have anything that even resembles that, they don't even have a path to get to it.

You have to grade GMs on the whole, not individual moves. And for that, I am not that impressed with Morey.

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 07:38:58 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2427
Morey has been spectacular but I'm not sure he wins a ring with Yao Ming there.

That team is still a move away (an impact player) from being able to win the West. So, I'm still dubious about their ability to win a title with Yao.

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 07:46:33 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

That team is still a move away (an impact player) from being able to win the West. So, I'm still dubious about their ability to win a title with Yao.

Not that I expect them to trade him, but if Yao is healthy on an expiring contract, I'm trying to imagine what GM won't be calling him.....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 07:48:53 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Do you see them winning a ring without him? They'd still be at least 1-2 stars away from contending.

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 07:53:22 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'm not that impressed. Exactly what are they building off of down there? Overpaid, overrated swingmen and some mid-to-late round picks?

You win in this league with top tier talent. Not only do they not have anything that even resembles that, they don't even have a path to get to it.

You have to grade GMs on the whole, not individual moves. And for that, I am not that impressed with Morey.

What more do you think Morey should have done, other than what he has so far?  I think it's hard to blame him for not landing a superstar; it's fairly tough to trade for a guy like Lebron, Durant, or Kobe.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 07:57:43 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Do you see them winning a ring without him? They'd still be at least 1-2 stars away from contending.
I don't think Houston should trade Yao ... just that they are still far away from a title and he's not getting any younger or healthier.

I feel like it's a short window to put a title contender on the floor. At least with Yao as their franchise player.

The Rockets should absolutely continue to build around Yao for the foreseeable future. Yao gives them their best chance at winning a title over the next 3-4 years.

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 08:13:17 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Houston was smart to be tough on NY. NY was willing to give up too much for the chance to sign another free agent. That is value gained for NY that Hou did not have to provide, though Hou wanted NY to compensate them for that added value.

There is still no guarantee that the Knicks get 2 all star quality signings. If NY cannot get 2 top free agents, wouldn't any single free agent be better off going to a team like Chi for a max contract? Who on the Knicks (who has a contract for next year) would you want to play with? Chandler and Galinari?

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 08:18:16 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Houston was smart to be tough on NY. NY was willing to give up too much for the chance to sign another free agent. That is value gained for NY that Hou did not have to provide, though Hou wanted NY to compensate them for that added value.

There is still no guarantee that the Knicks get 2 all star quality signings. If NY cannot get 2 top free agents, wouldn't any single free agent be better off going to a team like Chi for a max contract? Who on the Knicks (who has a contract for next year) would you want to play with? Chandler and Galinari?

Right. It was my feeling the Cs should have offered to take Jeffries for Chandler. Were 1.5 1st round picks and Hill more valuable to them than Chandler? They did get Rodriguez in addition, but to sign him they'll need to allow a cap hold on him.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 08:23:11 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I don't think Houston should trade Yao ... just that they are still far away from a title and he's not getting any younger or healthier.

I feel like it's a short window to put a title contender on the floor. At least with Yao as their franchise player.

The Rockets should absolutely continue to build around Yao for the foreseeable future. Yao gives them their best chance at winning a title over the next 3-4 years.
And then once Yao's game fades, like you said, the Rockets would still be 1-2 stars away from fielding another contender.

So the years directly after Yao's decline look difficult for Morey as well. So I think there's a strong chance Morey goes the next 7-8 years without winning a ring.

We'll see if he manages to land another impact player to play alongside Yao (their lottery pick + depth + Jeffries expiring contract could make a good trade package this summer). I think that's his best chance to win a title throughout that stretch.

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 08:27:16 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
He's doing a very good job so far. He does get a lot of support from his owner in terms of extra $ for draft picks, but he still saved the guy a lot of money today.

We'll see if they will eventually be willing to part with their young talent for a superstar to put them over the top because people were loving the job Paxson was doing up until their recent implosion.

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 08:28:13 PM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
I've said it before and I will say it again.

I really don't like this trade from Houstons point of View.

Lets start of with Martin, he's soft, doesn't attack the rim and is always injured.

The main reason I don't like it is for what it does to Houston up front.

You just gave away Landry a 6th man of the year candidate and a candidate for most improved player, I watch a lot of Rockets games and Landry is an absolute stud, extremely underrated and hes only going to get better.

Now Houstons big man rotation consists of scola, hayes and Jordan Hill? Really thats going to compete in the West?

There is no guarantee Yao returns to his old all star self.

I don't know i'm not a big fan of this trade at all.