Author Topic: Perk should be traded this off-season  (Read 13544 times)

Re: Perk should be traded this off-season
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 12:59:14 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Perk is great for a half court, contending team. He reached his potential playing alongside KG. This team is now building around Rajon Rondo and the best kind of big man to go alongside rondo is an athletic big who likes running the floor like Amare.

As much as i love Perk, it just seems like he doesn't fit with the direction this team is moving in.

I'd like to see us make a trade with GS involving Randolph, even if it's a minor trade.  Randolph could go really well alongside Rondo.

randolph would be the perfect KG replacement and compliment to a perk styled center.

i don't believe we will be able to pry him away from GS. maybe,just maybe we could get him if we offered perk and took on multiple bad contracts. but then we'd be way short on big men this season, with little room to add a center of consequence to play alongside randolph.

a more feasible trade is perk for m. gassol straight up. memphis gets the playoff proven vet to guide their team (chuckle), we get a burly center with out the 'tude.

then sign randolph when his contract is up

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 01:03:54 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
If I had my druthers I would like to trade him, Scal, Tony and Ray to Chicago for Joakim Noah, Kirk Hinrich and Loul Deng. But the Bulls GM would be shot for making that deal.

Another nice deal would be to ship KG and a 1st back to Minnesota for Al Jefferson to reunite Perkins and Jefferson because I know they are friends and could play off each other. Again it is wishful thinking on my part.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 01:06:48 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Why wait until the offseason?

Well, do you see us getting a viable center replacement through a trade right now? 

Yes, Samuel Dalembert, for one. Andris Biedrins. DeSagana Diop.  The list goes on.

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 01:11:28 PM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24
at 8-10 million Perkins is still better than Dalembert or Biedrins ... right now he is among the best dollar for dollar values in the entire league.  He is a good sell high choice - but he is probably as elite a center as is available to a team that does not get a top 3 pick in a future draft.

Moreover - "trade so and so" is never a mentality to have ... all the guys are tradeable, just have to assign a price.  OF course this being the NBA, 90% of GMs do not have actual organizational plans. 

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 01:18:23 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Kendrick Perkins is not an elite center.  He is a cheap center.

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 01:23:11 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Agree, Perk is a very good- great low post one on one defender against big guys like Shaq and Howard. Other than that he is an average rebounder, horrible passer. Horrible pick setter and average offensive post moves.

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 01:25:09 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!

Agree, Perk is a very good- great low post one on one defender against big guys like Shaq and Howard. Other than that he is an average rebounder, horrible passer. Horrible pick setter and average offensive post moves.
How can you say he is a horrible passer after that great pass out of the post to PP for the three last night?   ;)

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 01:28:44 PM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24

elite defender, unselfish offensive player and will do the dirty work ... nobody will confuse him with kevin mchale postwise ... but in this centerless NBA we live in - he is plenty good enough.  Obviously you are not going to build a team around him - but compared to Biedrins, Dalembert, Emeka Okafor, Tyson Chandler - center is not a problem position for this team.

He is a great pick setter, actually one of the best in the league - which is why he gets called for all those fouls.  The Celtics do not care about them - it's the price to pay to set rocking picks - and dead ball turnovers are not nearly as dangerous as in the flow ones.     

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 01:34:38 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Perk's questionable durability makes him someone who would make me shy away from locking up a lot of money in him for too long a period of time.  He is not a player who should be guaranteed a spot in the Celtics' long-term plans.  Only a superstar talent merits that kind of consideration.  Perkins is there only so long as he is cost-effective and healthy.

If someone else wants to overpay him, I'd be happy to see Ainge facilitate something like a sign-and-trade that nets a high draft pick.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 01:48:32 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Why wait until the offseason?

Well, do you see us getting a viable center replacement through a trade right now? 

Yes, Samuel Dalembert, for one. Andris Biedrins. DeSagana Diop.  The list goes on.
Baaaahahahahahaha. You want to replace Perkins with DeSagana Diop. You have clearly never seen Diop play.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 03:53:16 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2427
It is definitely worth exploring but I expect we'll find that Perk's value as a player is greater than his value as a trade asset.

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 03:55:22 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Trade him for a Technical Foul and a Scowl to be named later...

He's maxed out his abilities...tries to be a tough guy, and plays mechanical down on the low block.  He won't be worth whatever amount of money he wants, so I'd send him packing a year early than a year too late...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 04:03:42 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Even if this is what Perk is for the rest of his career.  Why would you trade him?  He's the perfect role player.  Average rebounder for his position?  Probably.  Above average defender?  Absolutely.  He's average offensively.  Sounds to me like he's better then 60% of the starting centers in the league.  Obviously his defense isn't going to look as good as 2 years ago when KG was completely healthy.  Defense tends to be played as a team.  If one of the big man gets burnt on defense, normally the other guy is either going to have to make a great play or he's going to look bad because it's tough for big men to rotate that quickly.  Regardless, try finding a center that's available, that can come in and play defense like he does, because I don't see it happening.
do it

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 04:23:09 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
Perk is known as one of the better defenders at his position in the league. He has the strength to hold his own against guys like Shaq, Dwight Howard and Bynum. You can't teach size...Also his offense is coming around and his help defense is solid. He can run the floor, albeit a bit awkwardly, and he's still really young. He's a few years out from peaking and he will only get better. He played great while KG was out, and that was teamed with Rasheed who never goes below the foul line on offense. Perk is one of the cornerstones, IMO.

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 04:24:31 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1820
It is definitely worth exploring but I expect we'll find that Perk's value as a player is greater than his value as a trade asset.

Pretty much my thoughts on the situation.