Author Topic: Trade Idea: Fleece the Knicks  (Read 3485 times)

Trade Idea: Fleece the Knicks
« on: February 16, 2010, 05:11:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If nothing else works, I say we just fleece the Knicks.  Looks like they are willing to dump Jordan Hill if they can get someone to take JEffries off their books.   Such a deal would be a "game changer" giving the Knicks 2 max contract slots (one for LeBron and one for whoever else wants to join LeBron).   http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64736/2010021/windhorst_calls_2nd_potential_nyk_max_slot_gamechanger/

Shoot why stop there?  What would it be worth to the KNicks if they could also dump Eddy Curry's contract?  Think they'd move Gallinari?   Just offer them this:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yfyp9a8

Boston trades:

Ray Allen (expiring)
Brian Scalabrine (expiring)
Tony Allen (expiring)
J.R. Giddens (expiring)
Glen Davis (bum)

Knicks trade:

Eddy Curry (2 years)
J Jeffries (2 years)
Jordan Hill (8th pick bust)
Gallinari (human sacrifice)
David Lee (tangible value Knicks aren't going to retain anyways)
Nate Robinson (because he wants to be in Boston)

Everyone we send to New York is expiring other than Glen Davis... which I see as addition by subtraction.

Knicks can head into next season with nothing but 6 million under contract (glen davis, Wilson Chandler and Tony Douglas) ... and offer max contracts to everyone who is relevant (wade, bosh, bron, joe johnson, amare, etc).   Come on... do any of you REALLY think it's far fetched that Bosh, Wade and Bron all decide to play in New York at the same time?

Meanwhile Boston gets stuck paying Curry and Jeffries next year (but would combine for a nice 16 mil in expiring contracts next season)... maybe they retain David Lee or maybe they send him to a different team (Sac wants a prolific big man, right?... maybe just work out a 3 way trade and bring in Kevin Martin)... 

we get one solid prospect in Gallinari and one bust prospect in Jordan Hill for our troubles.

Lol

Re: Trade Idea: Fleece the Knicks
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 05:18:22 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Horrible trade and I would give you -1 TP if I could.

We take on every NY player that's either garbage now or is a bust waiting to happen? ugh no.  Gallanari lol

For your sake I hope this was a joke and you only wasted your time to post this to comment on BBD. 

Edit: Lee isn't bad for SF who plays no defense.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 05:18:54 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Here's a nice little threeway:  http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ygyu7pl

Leaves Boston with:

PG - Rondo
SG - Kevin Martin
SF - Pierce
PF - KG
C - Perk

With Jordan Hill, Gallinari and Nate Robinson on our bench instead of Tony Allen and Eddie House.

Then next year we use Eddy Curry and Jeffries as expiring contracts.   Boom.  Done.   We'll get beat in the ECF by the Knicks every year, but at least we'll be relevant for more than one year.

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 05:19:59 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
Here's a nice little threeway:  http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ygyu7pl

Leaves Boston with:

PG - Rondo
SG - Kevin Martin
SF - Pierce
PF - KG
C - Perk

With Jordan Hill, Gallinari and Nate Robinson on our bench instead of Tony Allen and Eddie House.

Then next year we use Eddy Curry and Jeffries as expiring contracts.   Boom.  Done.   We'll get beat in the ECF by the Knicks every year, but at least we'll be relevant for more than one year.

This team w/o KG and Pierce is lottery bounds. 
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 05:20:48 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

We take on every NY player that's either garbage now or is a bust waiting to happen? ugh no.  Gallanari lol

For your sake I hope this was a joke and you only wasted your time to post this to comment on BBD. 
Nah it's not a horrible trade.  It would be Boston fleecing the Knicks.

In such a scenario the only player of value Boston would be giving up is Ray.  

Scal is a bum
Glen Davis is a bum
Eddie House is a bum
J.R. Giddens shouldn't be in the NBA
Brian Scalabrine is a joke.

I think landing David Lee, Gallinari and Jordan Hill for Ray Allen is about as unrealistic as you can possibly get.  What am I missing here, Birdbrain?  Lol  :))

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 05:28:03 PM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I had a similar idea, with the thinking that Houston's proposal would be accepted by New York. New York would have enough for two max players and D. Lee if they followed the Houston trade (T-Mac and other expirings for Jeffries, Hill, and Hughes) with:

R. Allen
E. House
Scal
T. Allen

for

A. Harrington
Gallo
Nate
E. Curry

“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 05:28:20 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I'm obviously not serious.   My point was... I think if any team was willing to take on Eddy Curry and Jeffries off the Knicks hands, they could basically have any player of value they wanted on the Knicks.  (Fyi to anyone who has been living under a rock... it's pretty much assumed Bron would join the Knicks, but they dont' have money to offer a 2nd max contract right now... the only drawback from Bron playing on the Knicks is that they couldn't surround him with his bffs Wade and Bosh.  Curry and Jeffries are the only big contracts left on the Knicks and they are logically desperate to dump them so they can start over and form a superteam through free agency)

Unfortunately the only "players of value" on the Knicks are David Lee (talented guy), Gallinari (21 years old and has some potential) and Jordan Hill (8th pick this year.  So far a total bust, but you dont' usually give up on an 8th pick who is only playing 10 minutes a game).

And really any team willing to take Curry and Jeffries just has 16 million of expiring contracts to play with next year... not that big of a deal.    

Flip David Lee to the Kings for Kevin Martin and I can't imagine any rational Celtic fan arguing against such a trade.  lol

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 05:29:40 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff

Nah it's not a horrible trade.  It would be Boston fleecing the Knicks.

In such a scenario the only player of value Boston would be giving up is Ray.  

Scal is a bum
Glen Davis is a bum
Eddie House is a bum
J.R. Giddens shouldn't be in the NBA
Brian Scalabrine is a joke.

I think landing David Lee, Gallinari and Jordan Hill for Ray Allen is about as unrealistic as you can possibly get.  What am I missing here, Birdbrain?  Lol  :))

Most of those guys we would be giving up are bums (not named BBD lol) I'm primarily talking about the players you think have talent that we get from NY.  Gallanari dude's got cool hair but, that's it.  Lee isn't bad but, is helping them win anything?  No just waste of Ray's contract.  Nice chat.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 05:34:35 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I had a similar idea, with the thinking that Houston's proposal would be accepted by New York. New York would have enough for two max players and D. Lee if they followed the Houston trade (T-Mac and other expirings for Jeffries, Hill, and Hughes) with:

R. Allen
E. House
Scal
T. Allen

for

A. Harrington
Gallo
Nate
E. Curry

Swap in David Lee for A. Harrington and make it a 3 way trade where Kings get their "prolific big man" (David Lee) and we get Kevin Martin...and it's a win scenario for all involved.

Once you wade through the muck it boils down to:

Kings get - David Lee and give up Martin (win)
Boston gets - Kevin Martin+Gallo and give up Ray (win)
Knicks get - 50 million in cap space to chase their dreams (win)

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 05:48:19 PM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

R. Allen
E. House
Scal
T. Allen

for

A. Harrington
Gallo
Nate
E. Curry

Swap in David Lee for A. Harrington and make it a 3 way trade where Kings get their "prolific big man" (David Lee) and we get Kevin Martin...and it's a win scenario for all involved.

Once you wade through the muck it boils down to:

Kings get - David Lee and give up Martin (win)
Boston gets - Kevin Martin+Gallo and give up Ray (win)
Knicks get - 50 million in cap space to chase their dreams (win)

Count me in. I'd be all over that. However, I have three questions:
1) Where does that put the Celtic's salary figure next year?
2) Would Lee approve a trade to the Kings?
3) Do the Kings have enough cap space to resign him next year since they will not have his Bird rights?

I'm at work and don't have time to look up the figures. TP for someone who does have the time and energy.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010