Author Topic: Joe Mauer agrees to extension with Twins (8 yrs $184 mil)  (Read 10762 times)

Re: Joe Mauer agrees to extension with Twins
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 11:10:29 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Red Sox would NEVER have ponied up the money needed to sign him anyway. If they didn't give Teixeira more than $168 million over 8 years, what makes me think they would've done it for Mauer? John Henry would've offered him a 1 year 9 million contract and then would've added by saying "well...we offered what we thought was fair market value."

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 11:41:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Red Sox would NEVER have ponied up the money needed to sign him anyway. If they didn't give Teixeira more than $168 million over 8 years, what makes me think they would've done it for Mauer? John Henry would've offered him a 1 year 9 million contract and then would've added by saying "well...we offered what we thought was fair market value."

This is just not true.

They ponied up $160 million over 8 years for Manny and he was a left fielder. Mauer is a much better player than Manny and at a more valuable position. My guess is if he went to free agency the Red Sox would have gone 8 years $190-200 million easy and then hoped they wouldn't have to go higher or more years because of what the Yankees would offer.

Regarding Mauer to third, how many catchers who's knees go to the point where they can't catch any longer actually go to third base, a position where explosion out of the legs and instant reaction times are crucial. Haven't like 99.9% of them gone on to be DHs, 1st basemen or retired. I don't see Mauer being any different once his knees go but my guess is he'll still be catching when this contract is up.

Re: Joe Mauer agrees to extension with Twins (8 yrs $184 mil)
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 04:44:26 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Happy days are here in Twins territory.  It's nice to have a player this good and not have to ship him to a major market.  I do worry about putting such a big chunk of payroll behind one guy, but for now it's all smiles.

If he was able to get 23 mill a year on an extension, I wonder what he would've got on the open market?  25 a year?  30 a year? 

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 08:32:16 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30

This is just not true.

They ponied up $160 million over 8 years for Manny and he was a left fielder. Mauer is a much better player than Manny and at a more valuable position. My guess is if he went to free agency the Red Sox would have gone 8 years $190-200 million easy and then hoped they wouldn't have to go higher or more years because of what the Yankees would offer.

Regarding Mauer to third, how many catchers who's knees go to the point where they can't catch any longer actually go to third base, a position where explosion out of the legs and instant reaction times are crucial. Haven't like 99.9% of them gone on to be DHs, 1st basemen or retired. I don't see Mauer being any different once his knees go but my guess is he'll still be catching when this contract is up.

That was my feeling on him going to third as well.  The question isn't whether or not he can play third now, which I believe he can, we're talking when he's old and gimpy.  He just wouldn't be able to play third.  I also agree that they would have offered him a big time deal.  Sox tend to pony up and offer the money a lot.  We never had a chance at Teixiera, so that tends to be a poor example.  He was just using us to make the Yankees offer him a bigger deal.  Lackey and Drew both got paid here.  Manny got paid as well.  Lately we havn't had to go nuts for big time free agents because we've done such a good job with the farm. 
do it

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 08:51:20 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

You're confusing the Patriots with the Red Sox. John Henry has stated multiple times publically that he would have gone higher on Tex. They really wanted him but he and his agent were using us to get the highest offer out of the Yankees. They never countered after we offered the deal you are citing. He was never going to play here unless the Yankees soured on him during negotiations.

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2010, 08:57:39 AM »

Offline Shoot the J

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 33
I expect to see a Victor Martinez extension in the near future

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2010, 09:16:27 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I am thrilled about this because it means he wont go to the yankees.  This also means that the yankees now can't move the stud catcher they have in the minor leagues with the plan of landing mauer in free agency.  I think this cripples and chance of them making a big splash in the trade market down the road.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2010, 09:22:49 AM »

Offline Shoot the J

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 33
Although any team would have liked to have added Mauer as a free agent, I must say that it's pretty nice to see a team not named Red Sox or Yankees sign a monster contract.

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 09:54:59 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Now that he has signed the extension, Mauer is much more tradeable, not less. Now a team wishing to acquire him doesn't have to negotiate an extension.  The work has already been done.

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2010, 10:34:17 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
Now that he has signed the extension, Mauer is much more tradeable, not less. Now a team wishing to acquire him doesn't have to negotiate an extension.  The work has already been done.

There is no way he's getting traded.  Dude is beloved here.  He would have to completely fall apart for the Twins to think about moving him, and if that were the case, no team would would want him at those kind of dollars. 

I don't think people outside this area have any idea what he means to this area.  I can't think of any player that is more beloved by his local fans that Mauer is.  The love for the guy verges on creepy.  If he left, attendance would plummet, even if the team was still good.  He brings in so many fair-weather fans that otherwise would have nothing to do with baseball. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 10:41:31 AM by freshinthehouse »

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2010, 10:48:14 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
But any incentive the Twins have to trade him is gone for as long as they have any plan of contending in that 8 year window.

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2010, 11:43:19 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
But any incentive the Twins have to trade him is gone for as long as they have any plan of contending in that 8 year window.

If they stink how are they going to pay him if they dont fill seats?

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2010, 12:16:40 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 891
Like everyone, it is nice to see him not go to the Yankees but I wonder if this is the best thing for the Twins.  They might actually be a better team (more wins in the next 8 years) if they traded him (although I thought I saw he has a full no trade clause).

If it comes to that (trading him down the road), I just hope the Sox are on his list.

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2010, 12:17:20 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30

They'll fill seats, they have a new ballpark coming in.  They should win their division.  Also, they're a fairly young team, they should be competitive for a while and if Liriano continues to be successful in the regular season, they could be even tougher.  They have a very good team, as long as they're healthy they will be in the playoffs.
do it

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2010, 06:07:44 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney

Twins haven't stunk in a long time.  And by the looks of their farm system, they should be a solid club for the foreseeable future.