Author Topic: cavs talking w/sixers about iggy  (Read 9342 times)

Re: cavs talking w/sixers about iggy
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 11:46:45 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Iggy is a very good player, but he is not a good fit next to Lebron.  Iggy is best when he has the ball in his hands, and can create for himself and others (much like Lebron).  Really, if I was going to describe Iggy, it would probably be as a homeless man's Lebron.  

I would be much more worried about the Cavs getting a versatile PF like Jamison, than a go-to wing like AI.

I also don't see why Cleveland would take on the other contract that Philly wants to package with Iggy, unless they think Brand has enough left to be rejuvenated in Cleveland (he might scare me a bit there).

Moral of the story?  I think this is a non-story.  Just like Hinrich is not going to the C's, Iggy is not going to the Cavs.

Brand and Shaq don't really fit either.

Brand can play the high post pretty well, and there will be a lot of time when Shaq is not in there, and Brand would be very good next to Andy.

He certainly is not ideal, but he does make the team better.

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 11:49:40 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Iggy is a very good player, but he is not a good fit next to Lebron.  Iggy is best when he has the ball in his hands, and can create for himself and others (much like Lebron).  Really, if I was going to describe Iggy, it would probably be as a homeless man's Lebron.  

I would be much more worried about the Cavs getting a versatile PF like Jamison, than a go-to wing like AI.

I also don't see why Cleveland would take on the other contract that Philly wants to package with Iggy, unless they think Brand has enough left to be rejuvenated in Cleveland (he might scare me a bit there).

Moral of the story?  I think this is a non-story.  Just like Hinrich is not going to the C's, Iggy is not going to the Cavs.

Brand can play the high post pretty well, and there will be a lot of time when Shaq is not in there, and Brand would be very good next to Andy.

I'm not sure the Cavs need another ball stopper who plays in the post.

Especially when Brand has been struggling so much in Philly....

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 12:10:49 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I'm not sure the Cavs need another ball stopper who plays in the post.

Especially when Brand has been struggling so much in Philly....

Brand has been terrible in Philly (a terrible fit from the beginning), but when he was in LA, he was nowhere near a ballstopper.  He was a very good passing big man who could basically do it all from 18 feet and in.

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 01:15:43 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Don't kid yourselves guys.  From a game-plan perspective adding Iggy to LeBron and Shaq might not make a whole lot of sense, but you can't argue with talent.  Andre Iguodala would be a much more dangerous sidekick for LeBron than Anthony Parker, Jamario Moon, or even Delonte West. 

Andre Iguodala may be a poor-man's LeBron, but he's a very talented player.  I think we're underrating him a bit because he's on a bad Philly team not built to complement his strengths.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 01:23:26 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
These Cavs team is as good on paper as any other team in the NBA and I don't think they can upgrade this season. Only if their owners have a lot of money they don't need
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 01:28:07 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Don't kid yourselves guys.  From a game-plan perspective adding Iggy to LeBron and Shaq might not make a whole lot of sense, but you can't argue with talent.  Andre Iguodala would be a much more dangerous sidekick for LeBron than Anthony Parker, Jamario Moon, or even Delonte West. 

Andre Iguodala may be a poor-man's LeBron, but he's a very talented player.  I think we're underrating him a bit because he's on a bad Philly team not built to complement his strengths.

I just think Cleveland will use their expiring contracts to get someone who is a better fit, or someone who is also expiring this summer, so they can maintain their cap space.  I think it would be more likely if they were involved in a deal like that, that it would end up being a 3-way deal, sending Iggy elsewhere, and getting the Cavs either a shooter, or versatile big man.

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2010, 01:31:43 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

I just think Cleveland will use their expiring contracts to get someone who is a better fit, or someone who is also expiring this summer, so they can maintain their cap space.  I think it would be more likely if they were involved in a deal like that, that it would end up being a 3-way deal, sending Iggy elsewhere, and getting the Cavs either a shooter, or versatile big man.

I don't disagree.  I think the Cavs would be better served trying to find a stretch 4 like Antawn Jamison.

Still, I disagree wholeheartedly with the notion that adding Iggy to the Cavs would not significantly improve their team.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2010, 01:47:51 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1418
  • Let's Go Celtics!

No one is denying his talent, but a lot of talent does not always equal chemistry. And you can't win a championship without chemistry.

Look at the Wizards (pre-Arenas' idoicy), everyone thought they would be a factor in the East this season. They were terrible before Arenas was suspended, sure some guys had greats stats, but they didn't have the Win/Loss record to show for it.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 02:29:06 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I don't disagree.  I think the Cavs would be better served trying to find a stretch 4 like Antawn Jamison.

Still, I disagree wholeheartedly with the notion that adding Iggy to the Cavs would not significantly improve their team.

Oh, I never meant to imply that.  Iggy would absolutely improve the team.  I just think they can find a deal that improves the team as much, if not more, that doesn't kill their cap space.

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 03:08:28 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I have no doubt that Stefanski's position is, that if you want Iggy, you have to take Brand too.  That's an awful lot of salary for two players, one of whom may never be the same again and who will take minutes away from Varejao and the emerging JJ Hickson.

My view is that the Golden State fire sale is the one to watch. Larry Ellison wants to buy the team, and they have to get the balance sheet in shape.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 03:15:26 PM by Brickowski »

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 03:33:56 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
My view is that the Golden State fire sale is the one to watch. Larry Ellison wants to buy the team, and they have to get the balance sheet in shape.

bring me anthony randolph! take on maggette, turriaf, whomever. but bring me randolph.

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 03:36:45 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

bring me anthony randolph! take on maggette, turriaf, whomever. but bring me randolph.

I really wish the C's could find a way to trade for Anthony Randolph, even if it means taking on Maggette's contract.

If Wyc was considering taking on Hinrich's contract, then taking on Maggette can't be any worse.

If we could somehow pick up CJ Watson at the same time, that would make it a true coup.  If we have to give up BBD, Eddie House, and TA to get it done, so be it.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2010, 08:10:25 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2427
Elton Brand and Shaquille O'Neal would be one of the worst starting defensive big man combinations in the league. Their lack of quickness, inability to cover the pick and roll, inability to cover athletic or perimeter orientated bigs would be a major weakness.

Elton Brand needs to play the majority of his minutes at center at this point in his career. Only situational minutes at PF depending on matchups.

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 01:04:44 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
Elton Brand and Shaquille O'Neal would be one of the worst starting defensive big man combinations in the league. Their lack of quickness, inability to cover the pick and roll, inability to cover athletic or perimeter orientated bigs would be a major weakness.

Elton Brand needs to play the majority of his minutes at center at this point in his career. Only situational minutes at PF depending on matchups.

He would be playing center in this scenario.....he would be coming off the bench for Shaq.

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 01:07:16 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

He would be playing center in this scenario.....he would be coming off the bench for Shaq.

Exactly, and a Brand/Andy combination, with Andy covering the quicker guy, Brand in the post would be pretty good defensively, and very good offensively.