Author Topic: Study: Clippers, Warriors Have NBA's Most Loyal Fans  (Read 4621 times)

Study: Clippers, Warriors Have NBA's Most Loyal Fans
« on: January 28, 2010, 12:00:04 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
A study designed for The Wall Street Journal by sports-reference.com looked at NBA teams' attendance for the past 10 seasons. It then weighed certain factors like city population, arena capacity, prior winning percentage and whether there are other, competing teams in the same market.

By those measures, Clippers fans are the most devoted, while Golden State Warriors fans are in second place.

Presumably those teams get extra credit for continuing to post relatively strong attendance figures while sporting a combined winning percentage of .399 since the 2000-01 season.

The Chicago Bulls, Cleveland Cavaliers and Dallas Mavericks, who lead the league in fans per game, round out the study's top five, while the Lakers come in sixth. In last place are the Philadelphia 76ers, just ahead of the Minnesota Timberwolves and New Jersey Nets.

haha wow these studies are hilarious......

Boston is not in the top 5 of loyal NBA fans?

Re: Study: Clippers, Warriors Have NBA's Most Loyal Fans
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 12:01:00 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
Yeah, all 10 of them
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 12:05:07 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
Golden State and Chicago would be at the top of my list for loyal fans. Also, the Knicks.

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 12:18:57 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Boston gets less credit because we have other big sports teams that people pay attention to when the Celtics are doing badly.

Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 12:26:11 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
It's funny that they are only taking into consideration the fans that live in the city where the team is based.  No teams have more fans spread throughout the world than the Boston Celtics and the LA Lakers.  Go to a road game and you'll see exactly what I mean.

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 01:22:59 PM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
  • And the Truth shall set you free
I'd like to see what the methodology really was.  The Celtics had strong attendance figures throught their bad years.  Also, The mavs had poor attendance during their bad years.  Might the Clippers maintian strong attendance figures through package deals i.e. buy 4 for the price of three?  Just some thoughts.

Also, is attendance really the best way to measure loyalty.  I don't measure my team loyalty by how much i spend on them.  I went to more games back when we were bad than i do now because its too expensive now.  Does that mean I'm any less loyal? No.  what about all the games i watch, the time i spend online or talking about the team?  Of course it would be very difficult to measure this for each fan base but why do the study when you don't give a thorough answer?

If I were to name top fan bases I would say this (in no particular order)

Boston
GS
Chicago
Ny
Utah
San Antonio
Portland
Toronto
Los Angeles Lakers

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 03:28:50 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
from reading the post it seems like they considered attendance and then weighed how good the team was during that team and whether there are other teams around to pull interest.  The Clippers and Warriors are at the top because they have other teams around, terrible records but are still near capacity every night.

I don't follow the Celtics, but has their attendance always been good even during the bad years?  I know the Cavs attendance was just awful when they were terrible

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 03:49:55 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
from reading the post it seems like they considered attendance and then weighed how good the team was during that team and whether there are other teams around to pull interest.  The Clippers and Warriors are at the top because they have other teams around, terrible records but are still near capacity every night.

I don't follow the Celtics, but has their attendance always been good even during the bad years?  I know the Cavs attendance was just awful when they were terrible
The old Boston Garden held considerably less people than the TD Garden and the Celtics always put about 16000-17000 people into the place year after year after year once they moved into the new building but never sold out the place consistently

It never matter whether the team was good or not, 16000-17000 people were going to be there on average no matter what

The C's only started going to full capacity numbers in 2007-08
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 05:01:12 PM by PLamb »
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 03:53:06 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
A study designed for The Wall Street Journal by sports-reference.com looked at NBA teams' attendance for the past 10 seasons. It then weighed certain factors like city population, arena capacity, prior winning percentage and whether there are other, competing teams in the same market.

By those measures, Clippers fans are the most devoted, while Golden State Warriors fans are in second place.

Presumably those teams get extra credit for continuing to post relatively strong attendance figures while sporting a combined winning percentage of .399 since the 2000-01 season.

The Chicago Bulls, Cleveland Cavaliers and Dallas Mavericks, who lead the league in fans per game, round out the study's top five, while the Lakers come in sixth. In last place are the Philadelphia 76ers, just ahead of the Minnesota Timberwolves and New Jersey Nets.

haha wow these studies are hilarious......

Boston is not in the top 5 of loyal NBA fans?

Clippers are well known for selling seats that don't get filled. Just because a ticket is sold doesn't mean anyone shows up.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 04:45:28 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I def. believe Knicks fans belong on this list.  Knicks fans are always crazy into their team and stuff even when they are awful.  Maybe it's just the dreams of LeBron though.  :P
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 04:45:37 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
This doesnt surprise me all that much...While I know Celtics fans are incredibly loyal and diehards... The Red Sox and Patriots seem to dominate a lot of sports conversations in the area. I can go out and ask 5 to 10 people about the Celtics and hear all replies such as "eh I'm a football fan so I pretty much only watch the Patriots" or "I'm die hard Red Sox so I dont follow the Celtics all that much."

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 06:36:31 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I have a hard time believing LA fans are more loyal than Boston fans. Boston has the most loyal fan base in terms of pro sports in the country. If you ask anyone from Boston who their favorite NBA team was, I guarantee virtually all would say the Celtics. That is how loyalty should be measured. If you go to LA or any other NBA city and ask the same question, I believe that there would be more variety in their answers. Going to games and rooting for teams are not exactly the same which is why this study I think is flawed.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »

Offline tony320

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
Unbelievable! How is the Clippers on the top. are they serious. maybe because they share a arena with the lakers. no offense to clippers fans

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 09:31:35 PM »

Offline tony320

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
I can attest to the Warriors having some pretty [dang] loyal fans, for as terrible as this franchise has been the past 15 years. I go to games & wonder if maybe we should boycott the warriors, & maybe our owner will get a clue. BTW, the oracle arena is pretty [dang] horrible.

------
the 2010 nfl draft predicitions

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 04:17:08 AM by tony320 »

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 09:39:10 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1797
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I was at the Magic game last night and I swear I have never been to a game where the fans were more excited (and I have been to a number of Celtics playoff games- recently moved down here). It was as if the city revolved around the Magic for a night. I tend to believe that one sport cities tend to be pretty loyal (Portland, Orlando, Utah, etc).

It also could be that Orlando beating the Celtics meant a lot more to these people than to fans of the Celtics beating Orlando. I guess in that sense it was kind of a joke. I have never been heckled so much in my life (including at Yankee stadium).