Author Topic: GSW Fire Sale according to Rick Bucher  (Read 18091 times)

Re: GSW Fire Sale according to Rick Bucher
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2010, 03:11:27 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Where Ellis is unselfish and Maggette is not is an interesting distinction considering they both pass about equally frequently (not very) ...  but Maggette takes FAR fewer shots to get his points and gets to the line a ton.  Shots he doesn't take - possessions he doesn't waste are possessions other people can use. Defense is bad - but going to a defense-first culture will help.  Also, he is used to being a 6th man - this team has nearly zippo in depth, he would be invaluable.  His contract seems bad - but for what he provides (proven, sustainable scoring because of his ridiculous ability to draw fouls) the price is not bad.

Well, unless he's always drawing flagrant fouls, which he isn't, that's not true - you don't need to take a shot to waste a possession.

Maggette's usage rate is 26.1%. In the Celtics, the player with the highest usage rate is Paul Pierce, with a 22.9%. 

Of course, Ellis is in Kobe/Wade/Arenas territory with a 29.1 usage rate, but, in all fairness, his assist rate is almost the double of Maggette's.

In any case, I disagree this team has nearly zippo in depth. When healthy, they have a solid 8/9 men rotation. For the playoffs, that's all that matters. I suppose a player like Maggette can help an offensively challenged unit (it needs to be a really bad one), but I fail to see how an unit with 2/3 out of Rondo/Ray/Pierce/Garnett plus Daniels/Wallace comes even close of being offensively challenged.
Plus, is there a player in the league more unpleasant to the eye than Maggette?
Haven't you been watching the games where this same group of players don't move the ball, chuck up 3's and have ice-cold scoring droughts for the past 2 months? 

When the ball is moving and shots are falling, this is indeed a very potent offensive group but there have been an awful lot of games where this team went right into an offensive funk for quarters, halves and even full games. 

One other thing to keep in mind, Ray and Eddie have had a some really ice-cold games (Eddie's been pretty cold all year).  When they're cold and PP is out of the game, the offense has just died.  Having another shooter on this team off the bench certainly wouldn't hurt.

« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2010, 03:26:08 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Where Ellis is unselfish and Maggette is not is an interesting distinction considering they both pass about equally frequently (not very) ...  but Maggette takes FAR fewer shots to get his points and gets to the line a ton.  Shots he doesn't take - possessions he doesn't waste are possessions other people can use. Defense is bad - but going to a defense-first culture will help.  Also, he is used to being a 6th man - this team has nearly zippo in depth, he would be invaluable.  His contract seems bad - but for what he provides (proven, sustainable scoring because of his ridiculous ability to draw fouls) the price is not bad.

Well, unless he's always drawing flagrant fouls, which he isn't, that's not true - you don't need to take a shot to waste a possession.

Maggette's usage rate is 26.1%. In the Celtics, the player with the highest usage rate is Paul Pierce, with a 22.9%. 

Of course, Ellis is in Kobe/Wade/Arenas territory with a 29.1 usage rate, but, in all fairness, his assist rate is almost the double of Maggette's.

In any case, I disagree this team has nearly zippo in depth. When healthy, they have a solid 8/9 men rotation. For the playoffs, that's all that matters. I suppose a player like Maggette can help an offensively challenged unit (it needs to be a really bad one), but I fail to see how an unit with 2/3 out of Rondo/Ray/Pierce/Garnett plus Daniels/Wallace comes even close of being offensively challenged.

Haven't you been watching the games where this same group of players don't move the ball, chuck up 3's and have ice-cold scoring droughts for the past 2 months? 

When the ball is moving and shots are falling, this is indeed a very potent offensive group but there have been an awful lot of games where this team went right into an offensive funk for quarters, halves and even full games. 

One other thing to keep in mind, Ray and Eddie have had a some really ice-cold games (Eddie's been pretty cold all year).  When they're cold and PP is out of the game, the offense has just died.  Having another shooter on this team off the bench certainly wouldn't hurt.

No.

For once, there have been plenty of injuries.

More importantly, Doc Rivers uses a very large rotation during the regular season, often putting on the floor units of only 1 starter + 4 bench players.
No.

For once, there have been plenty of injuries.

More importantly, Doc Rivers uses a very large rotation during the regular season, often putting on the floor units of only 1 starter + 4 bench players.

So no, nobody has been watching that group of players doing anything in the last 2 months.

I really don't care how the bench unit performs during the regular season. I never understood why would anyone care for that.

« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2010, 05:06:19 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

Joakim Noah
Anderson Varejao
Aaron Afflalo
Demar Derozan
Chris Kaman
Steve Blake
Zach Randolph
Channing Frye
Zaza Pachulia
Tayshaun Prince
Charlie Villanueva
Hasheem Thabeet
Hahmed Haddaddi

I could go on....
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2010, 05:47:30 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

Joakim Noah
Anderson Varejao
Aaron Afflalo
Demar Derozan
Chris Kaman
Steve Blake
Zach Randolph
Channing Frye
Zaza Pachulia
Tayshaun Prince
Charlie Villanueva
Hasheem Thabeet
Hahmed Haddaddi

I could go on....

Really? Some of those players are among my favourites to watch - Afflalo and his perimeter defence, Noah and his terrific energy, Randolph and his bellow the rim post game. Villanueva is a guy that bores me with his demeanour and lack of focus and competitiveness, but even him does some very enjoyable stuff. 

Maggette's endless routine of catch the ball-hold it-align with the rim-put the ball on the floor, put your head down and dribble towards the rim-jump into people who are in your way is cringe-inducing to me.

« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2010, 05:53:38 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be

Joakim Noah
Anderson Varejao
Aaron Afflalo
Demar Derozan
Chris Kaman
Steve Blake
Zach Randolph
Channing Frye
Zaza Pachulia
Tayshaun Prince
Charlie Villanueva
Hasheem Thabeet
Hahmed Haddaddi

I could go on....

Really? Some of those players are among my favourites to watch - Afflalo and his perimeter defence, Noah and his terrific energy, Randolph and his bellow the rim post game. Villanueva is a guy that bores me with his demeanour and lack of focus and competitiveness, but even him does some very enjoyable stuff. 

Maggette's endless routine of catch the ball-hold it-align with the rim-put the ball on the floor, put your head down and dribble towards the rim-jump into people who are in your way is cringe-inducing to me.

I think the two of you construed the term "unpleasant to the eye" in different ways. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2010, 03:49:15 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

Joakim Noah
Anderson Varejao
Aaron Afflalo
Demar Derozan
Chris Kaman
Steve Blake
Zach Randolph
Channing Frye
Zaza Pachulia
Tayshaun Prince
Charlie Villanueva
Hasheem Thabeet
Hahmed Haddaddi

I could go on....

I guess I misunderstood you; when you said "unpleasant to the eye" I thought you meant he's ugly, not that the way he plays is hard to watch.

I don't really watch him play often enough to say anything about that.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers