Author Topic: Boston/Clippers trade (not Ray)  (Read 1571 times)

Boston/Clippers trade (not Ray)
« on: January 26, 2010, 03:29:43 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Just to change things up a bit from the Ray proposals, here is something that might be an interesting way to both improve the team rebounding, as well as bring in a young, scoring wing, who Danny was reportedly impressed with.

Celtics trade:
Perkins
House
Scal

Clippers trade:
Camby
Thornton
Collins

This gives the C's a nice, young, scoring wing in Thornton, and one of the best rebounders and shotblockers in the league in Camby.  Even Collins has been a solid player, and might fit in well off the bench, and provide a big PG option.  And perhaps the Clippers will buy out House, allowing him to return as well.

Of course the biggest downside to this trade for the immediate future, is that we lose one of the best Howard defenders in the league.  However, if Perk is the best at defending Howard, then Wallace is probably the second best in the league, and even Davis has shown he can handle him as well. 

I know this will not make too many people happy, but I think this is a realistic deal that puts the team in a better position for next season, while also keeping them strong (and maybe even improving them overall) this season.

Re: Boston/Clippers trade (not Ray)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 03:50:48 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I came away from last night's game pretty unimpressed with thornton. He seems to have regressed.

I'd be happy to pick up Collins if possible.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 03:51:14 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Just to change things up a bit from the Ray proposals, here is something that might be an interesting way to both improve the team rebounding, as well as bring in a young, scoring wing, who Danny was reportedly impressed with.

Celtics trade:
Perkins
House
Scal

Clippers trade:
Camby
Thornton
Collins

This gives the C's a nice, young, scoring wing in Thornton, and one of the best rebounders and shotblockers in the league in Camby.  Even Collins has been a solid player, and might fit in well off the bench, and provide a big PG option.  And perhaps the Clippers will buy out House, allowing him to return as well.

Of course the biggest downside to this trade for the immediate future, is that we lose one of the best Howard defenders in the league.  However, if Perk is the best at defending Howard, then Wallace is probably the second best in the league, and even Davis has shown he can handle him as well. 

I know this will not make too many people happy, but I think this is a realistic deal that puts the team in a better position for next season, while also keeping them strong (and maybe even improving them overall) this season.

Interesting thought, but Perk is much stronger and still on the rise. Camby's another that could hit the wall any year now. I wouldn't mind Thornton for free, but he's not a real enticer for me. I think he's way overrated; his PER is always shockingly low because he's an inefficient one dimensional volume guy. He's also old for a rookie scale guy, so this is it.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 05:25:43 PM »

Offline fanofgreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
I wouldn't do it, simpy because Al Thornton is horrible!

I'd rather see the C's try and get a hold of Craig Smith. I 'd rather have Craig Smith than Baby

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 06:36:37 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
Not interested in this trade. I think Perkins to Camby is a significant downgrade in talent. I consider Scalabrine a more valuable deep reserve than Mardy Collins. And Eddie House a better rotation player than Al Thornton. I think it's a trade that the Celtics lose across the board.

I would like to try and acquire Al Thornton if he was available for a very low price. In terms of current ability, he's a poor player who doesn't deserve to crack anyone's rotation ... but he does have some potential to him. He could become a respectable defender and a decent go-to scorer off the bench. That development will take time and a lot of effort, and is by no means a guarantee.

It's not worth losing a solid rotation player, or a useful non-rotation reserve (TA/Scal), for that type of player when you're contending for a title. Too much downside and the upside is too far away.