Author Topic: I am not for trading Ray but...  (Read 9125 times)

Re: I am not for trading Ray but...
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2010, 01:00:54 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I'd start Tony and let the Pistons (Rasheed, Rip, and Prince) come off the bench.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2010, 01:33:26 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I don't like it.  I know that the three we'd get might be better than the 3 we give up, but I don't think that matters that much.  Sure, Maxiell's a nice player but has ZERO value to a team that has Perk, KG, Wallace, and BBD.  BBD is going to have a tough enough time finding playoff minutes.  There's no way that we're finding minutes for a 5th big. 

And while a Hamilton/Prince combo SEEMS nice, when you actually look at a playoff series minutes breakdown, the value diminishes.  I mean, would you rather have 38 mpg of Pierce, 38 mpg of Ray, and 20 mpg of Marquis Daniels, or 38 mpg of Pierce, 32 mpg of Rip, and 26 mpg of Prince?  Sure, Prince likely presents an upgrade over Daniels, but doesn't Hamilton also present a downgrade compared to Ray?  And wouldn't this also make our starting five weaker, which is ultimately going to win us a game in a tight playoff matchup?

The only way I trade Ray is if another team is going to give up an elite player that can take Ray's spot.  This trade-Ray-for-depth nonsense is just that. 

Agreed, to a point.  It wouldn't necessarily have to be for another SG, IMO.

Ray for Big Al, Brewer, and Gomes, or for K.Martin and Udrich or whatever his name is...deadline deal salary dumps for younger talent to carry us past the KG era.

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2010, 01:38:24 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
The only guy that is worth trading Ray for is Kevin Martin. Even Kevin MArtin alone isn't enough. Add Beno Udrih or Andres Nocioni and you got a deal.

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2010, 01:46:01 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
The only guy that is worth trading Ray for is Kevin Martin. Even Kevin MArtin alone isn't enough. Add Beno Udrih or Andres Nocioni and you got a deal.

Are Nocioni and Udrih supposed to make the trade better or worse for us?

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2010, 01:49:10 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Not worth breaking up the starting 5 for.  

I don't think Rip could match Ray's current production, much less last year's. Tay would be nice off the bench if he could stay healthy, but he's not much of an impact player.

If we're going to trade Ray it should be to patch some of the big holes on the team: a combo guard who can play D to push the House/TA combo further to the bench, a quick forward who can rebound and someone who can get to the basket off the bench.

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2010, 01:54:53 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Several Ray-related threads going.

Could someone who is A) more familiar with the trade checker, and B) knows how to use make the poll think work create a "hypothetical trades for Ray" thread?  It seems like many folks would get misty eyed, but let him go for the right pieces, and there are quite a few possible scenarios.  Since he's at the end of the trail, financially strapped teams are likely targets...