Author Topic: Last night, Tommy wanted to see if Lester Hudson could run 2nd unit as PG  (Read 4866 times)

Offline nesnfsn

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Last night after Doc inserted Lester Hudson, Tommy noted that he would love to see Doc give this rookie some time to see if he can effectively run the second unit as its PG to give it some rhythm and flow.

Glad to hear that I and others on this board were not alone.

Would love to hear Tommy's opinion if Lester Hudson gets some time to see what Hudson's strengths and weaknesses, and his opinion on whether Hudson could fill this role as the season plays on.

Re: Last night, Tommy wanted to see if Lester Hudson could run 2nd unit as PG
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 11:43:07 AM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Tommy thinks very highly of Hudson. But he thinks very highly of most Celtics players, especially the young ones.

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 11:43:50 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Tommy says that about any young player on the end of the bench. He said the same thing about Gabe Pruitt last year and how good pruitt can be.  He is the epitome of a homer, I don't see Hudson getting playing time any time soon.

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 11:22:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Hudson is different than pruitt. Has rondo or rivers ever really said anything hopefully or nice about pruitt before? how about giddens?

Most you will hear rivers say about him is how much work he needs to do instead.

Hudson will get more minutes as the season gets going and will replace house next year as the backup pg.

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 11:44:05 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Tommy thinks very highly of Hudson. But he thinks very highly of most Celtics players, especially the young ones.

i remember him being very high on Oriene Greene too.
Greg

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 11:48:51 PM »

Offline houseonfire09

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 44
  • Thank you Eddie!
I kinda wish that Tommy would get a CB account.  He'd fit right in with the rest of us, it would be like we don't know it's him.
"If David Stern ran the NHL, is there any chance his meal ticket's team would blow a Game 7 in Round 1? Put a pair of skates on Dick Bavetta!" -Bill Simmons

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 12:58:50 AM »

Offline gustusias

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 41
All said about Tommy probably is true. That does not mean that the second unit lacks a real pg (Quizzy is not the answer)to give it a better flow. Tommy, always a Celtic and alqays rooting for the new blood, would love it if Lester was that guy. Doc seems to be favoring playing Rondo there and a little House mixed with a Quizzy, when he was healthy, and Tony. I agree with the earlier post that next year we might see Lester but Doc doesn't have the you know what to test a rookie in 'real game' waters right now. I like Tommy hope he does though. A freakin' bird in the sky tells me Hudson is pretty darned good.

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 01:15:32 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398

You know who I thought was actually decent? JR Bremer. I would say that guy could actually play in the NBA as a backup point guard, but believe I got the impression he was really successful overseas and making more money there. There are some guys besides josh childress that fall into that category. Although I could very well be wrong on Bremer.

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 01:41:32 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Hudson is different than pruitt. Has rondo or rivers ever really said anything hopefully or nice about pruitt before? how about giddens?

Most you will hear rivers say about him is how much work he needs to do instead.

Hudson will get more minutes as the season gets going and will replace house next year as the backup pg.

I agree.  Rondo said some nice stuff about Pruitt, but Doc and the Big Three didn't bother.  They are all much more effusive about Hudson than Giddens or Walker as well.  I think he's well in their plans for next year and, with a break, could get some run in the second half this year as well.

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 07:30:10 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836

I remember many of us being very high on Oriene Greene, especially during pre-season.  Our expectations were easily met in those days.

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 07:50:14 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I think as said Tommy will root for anyone in green.  But through the homerism is a very good basketball mind and once GREAT coach.  His point of the 2nd unit not having a flow is a very big flaw, he also pointed out that the clock is down to 10-14 seconds (don't remember exactly) when the c's go into their offense.
Hudson I think has a chance with the team because of his speed, defense and outside shooting.  I don't think he's ready right now but the guy needs pt to get ready.  I think he has a shot (pun intended) to replace eddie next year.

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 07:50:31 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
Tommy thought Milt Palacio was going to be an allstar, which I never bought.  I actually thought Orien Greene would turn out pretty good.  I even thought Pruitt would be pretty good for a while, until I noticed that the guy never improved.  
Right now, Hudson has yet to show that he's NOT a player, so I'll assume he could shine if given a chance.  I don't see any red flags that show that he couldn't be decent in the right situation.

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 08:39:05 AM »

Kiorrik

I kinda wish that Tommy would get a CB account.  He'd fit right in with the rest of us, it would be like we don't know it's him.
Heh, he'd love the whole TP concept, I bet ;)

Harhar!

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 08:39:58 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I think as said Tommy will root for anyone in green.  But through the homerism is a very good basketball mind and once GREAT coach.  His point of the 2nd unit not having a flow is a very big flaw, he also pointed out that the clock is down to 10-14 seconds (don't remember exactly) when the c's go into their offense.
Hudson I think has a chance with the team because of his speed, defense and outside shooting.  I don't think he's ready right now but the guy needs pt to get ready.  I think he has a shot (pun intended) to replace eddie next year.

I agree.  I want him playing--whether it's in Boston or in Portland.

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 09:48:43 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
yup, I remember his fascination with Greene as well

he would make statements about how if he could only get a jumper he'd be a "great" player (remind you of anyone?)

I think he has a soft spot for anyone that pushes the tempo ("Run! Run! Run!")

gotta love Tommy
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)