Author Topic: Hardest sport to go pro in  (Read 19125 times)

Re: Hardest sport to go pro in
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 08:50:41 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3783
  • Yup
easiest sport to go pro in: golf or bowling?

I know you were sorta joking there, but i was thinking about that question.

There's a pretty fine line between "going pro" and "making a living" with professional sports.  There are a lot of guys on both of those tours struggling to make a buck.

Yup

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 08:52:11 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3783
  • Yup
If we count major leagues only (discounting euroball, d-league, aba, and the minor leagues) and narrow it down to athlete X who is equally talented in basketball and baseball, it's tough, but I'd say it's harder to make it in baseball.

I think that's right.  Also, for whatever it's worth, I think there are more stiffs playing pro basketball than any other sport.  If you're 7'0" and even slightly athletic, you've got a very good shot at the NBA, whereas similar things can't be said in other sports.

This argument inevitably leads me back to the theory of sticking an 800 pound man in net in hockey.
Yup

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 08:55:46 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If we count major leagues only (discounting euroball, d-league, aba, and the minor leagues) and narrow it down to athlete X who is equally talented in basketball and baseball, it's tough, but I'd say it's harder to make it in baseball.

I think that's right.  Also, for whatever it's worth, I think there are more stiffs playing pro basketball than any other sport.  If you're 7'0" and even slightly athletic, you've got a very good shot at the NBA, whereas similar things can't be said in other sports.

This argument inevitably leads me back to the theory of sticking an 800 pound man in net in hockey.
or my mother in law

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 08:59:31 AM »

Offline Coach

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 109
These arguments are all off the mark.  There is no "harder" involved.  It's a pure numbers game, and as such a dollars and cents game.

A "professional" league is professional league due to the willingness of the fans to pay to see you play.  The greater the demand to watch the sport, the more money given to the players to distribute, and given enough demand, a league can expand, thus increasing the number of professional players.

So, to find out the "chances" of making a pro sport, you have to find out the approximate number of total participants of that sport, adjust for the top X percent who are skilled enough to get the chance to put the requisite practice time in to give them a realistic chance (Malcolm Gladwell says that this is 10,000 hours), vs the number of pro spots available.

You could further argue that the number of dollars available to distribute to the athletes adjusts the number of bottom level participants.  A good case study of this would be MMA.  15 years ago, you could have become a "Pro" at this, just by being in shape, and being a little crazy.  Now, with the amount of money available to the top performers, there are lot more athletes aspiring to be a "Pro".  

I don't have the time to figure this out, but I'm sure with a little work, someone could easily figure out the probability of becoming a "Pro" in each major sport.

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 09:00:25 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

or my mother in law

Thing is, i think there's regulations on pad size, so for a very large person, they'd have more flesh exposed. Very bad. Unless is your inlaw.

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 09:08:26 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

or my mother in law

Thing is, i think there's regulations on pad size, so for a very large person, they'd have more flesh exposed. Very bad. Unless is your inlaw.

It's so quiet in my office now and I can't stop laughing. Thank you!

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 09:14:26 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
If you are talking team sports, judging by the number of people in the world who grow up  playing the sport and the percentage of players who turn pro I would hazard a guess that it would be soccer.  

In individual sports...most people playing casually vs number who turn pro...golf.   (Although I think more people actually begin playing golf in their adult years, i.e. too late to lay the foundation for a career).
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
tennis isn't all that hard, but good luck getting anywhere after that,  making any money (aside from teaching), etc....

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 10:07:09 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Given the amount of talent involved in having to be considered one of the best 200-400 players in the world in any sport, I think it's fair to say that no matter the sport, it's nearly impossibly difficult to become a professional athlete in any sport and it's nearly equally difficult to become a professional athlete in all sport.

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2009, 10:13:50 AM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I'd say basketball only because they have the smallest rosters.  I do understand what your friends are saying though.  Since the hardest thing in all of sports is to hit a baseball, I guess it would be the toughest to gain the skills to be a professional baseball player.
Don't get me wrong, I understand how hard it is to hit a baseball, especially one thrown by a major league pitcher. But I disagree that hitting a baseball is that hardest thing in sports. I don't have time to come up with specific examples, but there are lots of things in both basketball and football that look easy but are incredibly hard to do. Oh, here's one - try threading a one-handed bounce pass between 3 defenders on a fast break running full speed down the court. Or try rolling off your defender, jumping, catching, and slamming a lob pass all in one motion (a la KG). And since we're comparing hitting a baseball off a major league pitcher, then imagine pulling off the bounce pass or the alley oop against NBA competition.

I would bet a guy of average athleticism could take some batting practice and eventually get a real hit off a real major league pitcher in a real major league game. I would also bet that that a guy of average athleticism couldn't pull off either of the aforementioned basketball plays if they were thrown into a real NBA game.

Everyone in professional baseball is expected to be able to hit a ball. How many guys in the NBA can pull of the KG roll-off your man and alley oop dunk all in one motion? Way less than half the NBA for sure.

In conclusion, hitting a baseball is not the hardest thing in professional sports.

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2009, 10:23:30 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I'd say basketball only because they have the smallest rosters.  I do understand what your friends are saying though.  Since the hardest thing in all of sports is to hit a baseball, I guess it would be the toughest to gain the skills to be a professional baseball player.
Don't get me wrong, I understand how hard it is to hit a baseball, especially one thrown by a major league pitcher. But I disagree that hitting a baseball is that hardest thing in sports. I don't have time to come up with specific examples, but there are lots of things in both basketball and football that look easy but are incredibly hard to do. Oh, here's one - try threading a one-handed bounce pass between 3 defenders on a fast break running full speed down the court. Or try rolling off your defender, jumping, catching, and slamming a lob pass all in one motion (a la KG). And since we're comparing hitting a baseball off a major league pitcher, then imagine pulling off the bounce pass or the alley oop against NBA competition.

I would bet a guy of average athleticism could take some batting practice and eventually get a real hit off a real major league pitcher in a real major league game. I would also bet that that a guy of average athleticism couldn't pull off either of the aforementioned basketball plays if they were thrown into a real NBA game.

Everyone in professional baseball is expected to be able to hit a ball. How many guys in the NBA can pull of the KG roll-off your man and alley oop dunk all in one motion? Way less than half the NBA for sure.

In conclusion, hitting a baseball is not the hardest thing in professional sports.
And everyone in basketball is expected to know how to dribble a basketball. But which is more difficult? Go out and try to dribble a basketball, something that happens in every pro basketball game. Now go try to hit a 95 MPH fastball, something that happens in every pro baseball game.

You are comparing threading a bounce pass between three defenders on the run with hitting a baseball. What you should be comparing is threading a bounce pass between three defenders on the run with catching a great knuckleball while simultaneously trying to get out of your stance as a catcher to throw out a runner at second.

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2009, 10:27:50 AM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5

And everyone in basketball is expected to know how to dribble a basketball. But which is more difficult? Go out and try to dribble a basketball, something that happens in every pro basketball game. Now go try to hit a 95 MPH fastball, something that happens in every pro baseball game.

You are comparing threading a bounce pass between three defenders on the run with hitting a baseball. What you should be comparing is threading a bounce pass between three defenders on the run with catching a great knuckleball while simultaneously trying to get out of your stance as a catcher to throw out a runner at second.

Well, you're sorting of making my point for me. There are things arguably more difficult in baseball than hitting a ball. But the point remains the same - hitting a baseball is not the hardest thing to do in professional sports. If you like my alley oop example as proof, that's fine. If you like your example of catching a knuckleball better, that's fine. I'm not arguing one sport's skills are harder overall, I'm just arguing that hitting a baseball isn't the hardest thing to do in sports.

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2009, 10:30:20 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1649
  • What a Pub Should Be
Lot of things to consider and some of people have brought up some great points here.  Genetics certainly dictate a lot when it comes to basketball.  If you're in your late teens and 7 feet tall with a hint of athleticism, your chances of making a professional basketball team are probably better than a 5 foot 9 kid of the same age who is an all-state basketball player.  Winning the genetic lottery can certainly help with basketball. If you don't, its a extremely hard sport to break in considering the odds and the restrictions faced; the vast number of people playing, smallest rosters of the Big 4 leagues.  Lots of barriers.

Baseball is no easy task easier.  Especially making it to a major league roster.  In regards to genetics, on the top it certainly seems easier to make it.  You can be 5 foot 9 or 6 foot 4 and have a chance to make it.  However, the actual skill set to have to make it on a major league roster is no easy thing.  Pitching or hitting are no easy tasks, especially as the level of competition increases.  Hitting a baseball with movement that's coming out you in excess of 90 mph is something that very few of us can do.  You fail 3 times out of 10 at the major league hitter and you're considered a success.  That says something.  Baseball is not an easy sport.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2009, 10:34:57 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
What about returning a 130mph tennis serve?  Even though you have a racket, that ball travels faster than a baseball, and you have to hit it in a small defined box, over a net.

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2009, 10:38:01 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Well, you're sorting of making my point for me. There are things arguably more difficult in baseball than hitting a ball. But the point remains the same - hitting a baseball is not the hardest thing to do in professional sports. If you like my alley oop example as proof, that's fine. If you like your example of catching a knuckleball better, that's fine. I'm not arguing one sport's skills are harder overall, I'm just arguing that hitting a baseball isn't the hardest thing to do in sports.
It's the hardest thing you have to be able to do to be a pro in a sport.

You HAVE to be able to hit a baseball to be a baseball player.

Now compared that with HAVING to be able to dribble a basketball to be able to play basketball or be able to skate on ice to be able to play hockey or be able to hit a ball long and straight off the tee to be a golfer or be able to run and block to be able to play football or to be able to throw a strike in order to bowl or to be able to kick a ball to play soccer.

Hitting a baseball and to be able to do it regularly well to make the pros is easily the hardest thing  you have to be able to do to be ABLE to play pro baseball. Is doing a bicycle kick in soccer, catching a tough knuckleball in baseball, holding onto a pass over the middle while being simultaneously rocked with a hit in football, hitting a ball between your legs for a winner in tennis or catching and slamming an alley oop in basketball tougher? Maybe. But those are individual plays and not a skill you HAVE TO BE ABLE TO DO to be a pro in those sports.