Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 969770 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #2310 on: August 06, 2016, 01:20:34 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Objectively speaking, yes... the opinion of professional critics and my own carries more weight than the average individual. 

LOL!

I have no doubt that you actually believe that.
Because it's objectively true the film analysis of film critics, as well as my own, carries more weight than someone who doesn't understand how to analyze the quality of film.   You can prefer Adam sander's "jack and Jill" to the godfather, but it doesn't make it a better film.  And if don't understand why that is, your opinion on the subject will not hold much weight at all. 

Clearly you need a dictionary.  Because you obviously don't understand the difference between the terms objective and subjective. 

There's thousands of articles and posts out there that can explain for you better than I can.  We don't need to dive too deeply into it here.  But in short, your taste is subjective.  What we consider quality, isn't.  Unless you think it's impossible to claim anything is "objectively" good, in which case, you are no longer permitted to call anything "good or bad".  Stuff just exists.  You can merely say, "I like it" or "I did not like that".   And you can just walk through life like a confused little puppy thinking any competition that measures art/writing/films/food/singing/etc has completely random results with no baseline for quality.   You can watch the Academy Awards and wonder why every single movie isn't nominated and handed out awards.  Start a petition demanding that Kevin Spacey's performance in the recent cat movie "Nine Lives" should be nominated for "best actor", cuz "art is subjective". 

The problem is, every time one of these objectively bad movies comes out with a built-in fanbase, there's a bunch of whining from fanboys who throw out the ol "art is subjective" line to defend the objectively bad piece of art.  When in reality, they should just accept that it's ok to like a bad piece of art.  I have crappy pop art all over my walls.  I enjoy all sorts of junk food.  I see lots of bad movies (most recently, the objectively weak movie called "Nerve"... the premise was fit for "Black Mirror", the first half was mildly entertaining, the ending was atrocious.  Objectively, not a good movie.  I enjoyed it nonetheless).

Every time one of these objectively bad movies drops, there's threads explaining this concept all over the internet.  Here's a quote literally from a few hours ago in regards to a fan claiming "Suicide Squad" shouldn't be criticized because "art is subjective":

"good" isn't subjective.

It can be relative, but not subjective (as we can't all make up our own definition of "good" because there are specific constraints).

Good is always on the positive side, indicated a certain level of positive quality to an item, specifically above average quality.

Liking something is subjective because it's wholly based on your experience and your preferences with no need to take into account the quality of the thing you like.

Anyways... "Suicide Squad" was a dumpster fire. 

Moving on... "Nerve" was pretty schlocky, but the premise is fun (an app that lets people dare you to do things... the dares inevitably escalate).  Maybe worth watching for free when it's on HBO or something.   

« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 01:26:52 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #2311 on: August 06, 2016, 01:36:06 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
In regards to "Suicide Squad"... I agree with this video 1000%:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL7UStivFHY

« Reply #2312 on: August 06, 2016, 01:45:09 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 105
Take it easy dude. If you dislike a movie so much why waste the time trashing it. I don't read comics. I loved BVS . It IS subjective. You're gonna have to come to grips with it. Lol .
  Take Michael Jackson the artist. Some thought he was a genius. Others think he sucks like me. It's an unpopular opinion. But it IS subjective. Things like this aren't WORTH a lengthy debate because people like different things. Just accept it. It doesn't prevent you from hating anything.
He sucks like you?   ???

If you think I suck, you're allowed that opinion Ofcourse. I'm a little confused but ok.

« Reply #2313 on: August 06, 2016, 01:46:06 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Ha. I was slow on that one. Good one.

« Reply #2314 on: August 06, 2016, 01:48:05 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
What's a fanboy? I've heard the term but not sure what it means.

« Reply #2315 on: August 06, 2016, 01:59:39 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Objectively speaking, yes... the opinion of professional critics and my own carries more weight than the average individual.

LOL!

Because it's objectively true the film analysis of film critics, as well as my own, carries more weight than someone who doesn't understand how to analyze the quality of film.   You can prefer Adam sander's "jack and Jill" to the godfather, but it doesn't make it a better film.  And if don't understand why that is, your opinion on the subject will not hold much weight at all.

It's objectively true that you're your own biggest fan.

« Reply #2316 on: August 06, 2016, 02:10:30 PM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 490
Just saw Suicide Squad (well last night.)

Quick disclaimers - 1.) I intentionally didnt look at any reviews because I didnt want to cloud my opinion.
2.) Went with a large group of my friends (aged 20-24) after we had a couple beers at a pub near the theater before hand.
3.) I was not a fan of the last DC film to come out (cough cough)
4.) I think Leto is either very good or terrible in movies. Not much in between for me.
5.) I went in with decent expectations, because it seemed to be going for the same humorous themes that deadpool went for. (Loved deadpool.)

With all of that said, I thoroughly did not like what I saw. I felt like I was watching a B movie roll of high budget films with sarcastic college level directors. And my goodness the lighting was awful.

I was expecting a decent amount out of Robbie (I like her, dont know why) but she seemed to fall flat on her face over and over again. Granted her jokes missing the mark almost consistently is the writers fault.Smith was very blah for me, and I love will smith.

Then there was Leto. While his joker may be slighlty memorable from pure absurdity, he acted it waaaaaay over the top. And we have seen this with jokers before (ledger did it to perfection) but Leto just hit the wrong button in my opinion.

I was never a comic book guy, but I love the superhero movie genre (of any kind.) They are fun escapes from my binge of critically acclaimed films, and whatever my girlfriend wants to see (I actually liked Petopia on that note lol.)

Thats what makes Suicide Squad so hard to watch is that the bar isnt really that high.

2/10 in my opinion. I wonder what it was like without the reshoots. If you like super hero movies, dont let my opinion stop you, but I wouldnt recommend the film to anyone by any means.

Edit: posted here without reading the above posts. Lar is spot on with this one (in my humble opinion.) Im not even sure this film is worth diving into objective/subjective debate. I shall give you one TP Brd for trying to spare these people those peecious moments of their lives.
#JKJB

« Reply #2317 on: August 06, 2016, 04:51:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Quick disclaimers - 1.) I intentionally didnt look at any reviews because I didnt want to cloud my opinion.
2.) Went with a large group of my friends (aged 20-24) after we had a couple beers at a pub near the theater before hand.
4.) I think Leto is either very good or terrible in movies. Not much in between for me.
5.) I went in with decent expectations, because it seemed to be going for the same humorous themes that deadpool went for. (Loved deadpool.)

With all of that said, I thoroughly did not like what I saw. I felt like I was watching a B movie roll of high budget films with sarcastic college level directors. And my goodness the lighting was awful.

I was expecting a decent amount out of Robbie (I like her, dont know why) but she seemed to fall flat on her face over and over again. Granted her jokes missing the mark almost consistently is the writers fault.Smith was very blah for me, and I love will smith.

Then there was Leto. While his joker may be slighlty memorable from pure absurdity, he acted it waaaaaay over the top. And we have seen this with jokers before (ledger did it to perfection) but Leto just hit the wrong button in my opinion.

I was never a comic book guy, but I love the superhero movie genre (of any kind.) They are fun escapes from my binge of critically acclaimed films, and whatever my girlfriend wants to see (I actually liked Petopia on that note lol.)

Thats what makes Suicide Squad so hard to watch is that the bar isnt really that high.

2/10 in my opinion. I wonder what it was like without the reshoots. If you like super hero movies, dont let my opinion stop you, but I wouldnt recommend the film to anyone by any means.

Edit: posted here without reading the above posts. Lar is spot on with this one (in my humble opinion.) Im not even sure this film is worth diving into objective/subjective debate. I shall give you one TP Brd for trying to spare these people those peecious moments of their lives.

TP back at you.  It was my least favorite movie of the year.  I see pretty much every major movie that comes out.  It takes a lot for me to hate a film.  I hated this one.  Usually even the bad ones are fine as popcorn flicks.  It's going to make buttloads of cash, which is a shame, because it means these characters will be stuck in mediocre/bad movies for a while.   I'd rather see more competent filmmakers using them properly. 

« Reply #2318 on: August 06, 2016, 06:31:44 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

TP for a far more reasoned and valuable review than the one from LB.  made your point without the pomposity or condescension.  was really hyped to see this one but think I'll wait for it to come to video (or possible HBO in a year)

« Reply #2319 on: August 06, 2016, 07:54:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

LOL!

It's objectively true that you're my second biggest fan... but more in the Mark David Chapman kind of way.

Let's not misinterpret what I'm saying here.   Professional critics (and myself) can't tell you what you will like/dislike.  Taste is subjective.  Whether or not you like a movie is up to you.   Just like, nobody can argue with you if you tell them a fried oreo is your favorite food.   

But objectively speaking, yes, the opinion of a professional film critic (and myself) carries significantly more weight than an average person in regards to what is considered a "quality" film in the same way the opinion of a Sommelier about wine carries more weight than a 16 year old who stole a bottle from dad's liquor cabinet... and my opinion on the Celtics and 76ers carries more weight than an average NBA fan.    This is objectively true. 

Lol

"Suicide Squad" sucks.  If you plan on going to the movies this weekend, you're probably better off wasting your money on "Bad Moms".

« Reply #2320 on: August 06, 2016, 09:38:10 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

LOL!

It's objectively true that you're my second biggest fan... but more in the Mark David Chapman kind of way.

Let's not misinterpret what I'm saying here.   Professional critics (and myself) can't tell you what you will like/dislike.  Taste is subjective.  Whether or not you like a movie is up to you.   Just like, nobody can argue with you if you tell them a fried oreo is your favorite food.   

But objectively speaking, yes, the opinion of a professional film critic (and myself) carries significantly more weight than an average person in regards to what is considered a "quality" film in the same way the opinion of a Sommelier about wine carries more weight than a 16 year old who stole a bottle from dad's liquor cabinet... and my opinion on the Celtics and 76ers carries more weight than an average NBA fan.    This is objectively true. 

Lol

"Suicide Squad" sucks.  If you plan on going to the movies this weekend, you're probably better off wasting your money on "Bad Moms".

What's the basis of all this self-admiration? Do you have any credentials that would make anyone believe your opinion should be weighed more than most? You probably watch a lot of movies because it sounds as though you have a ton of time on your hands, but that's the equivalent of someone thinking they know medicine because they didn't miss an episode of ER. So if you have nothing of substance to support your cinematic thoughts, then you would be wise to ease up on the egotistical posts and just eat more popcorn while you watch yet another movie.

« Reply #2321 on: August 06, 2016, 09:48:03 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

LOL!

Lol

What's the basis of all this self-admiration? Do you have any credentials that would make anyone believe your opinion should be weighed more than most? You probably watch a lot of movies because it sounds as though you have a ton of time on your hands, but that's the equivalent of someone thinking they know medicine because they didn't miss an episode of ER. So if you have nothing of substance to support your cinematic thoughts, then you would be wise to ease up on the egotistical posts and just eat more popcorn while you watch yet another movie.

I'm pretty sure LarBrd went to film school (or got the equivalent of a college degree in filmmaking). He's also made/directed some longer works, such as scripted short films.

« Reply #2322 on: August 06, 2016, 10:07:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25603
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

LOL!

Lol

I'm pretty sure LarBrd went to film school (or got the equivalent of a college degree in filmmaking). He's also made/directed some longer works, such as scripted short films.

Yeah, I don't know all of his credentials, but I've seen a lot of his films. They're quirky and entertaining.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2323 on: August 06, 2016, 10:24:25 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

LOL!

Lol

What's the basis of all this self-admiration?

I'm mostly kidding, Eddie.  It's the boring time of year for Celtics fans.  I figured I'd spend a couple days whining about how bad "Suicide Squad" was. 

This summer has kind of sucked in general for movies.  It's like all the best filmmakers are gravitating towards prestige television. I was having trouble even figuring out what my favorite movie of the Summer has been.  Maybe "Nice Guys".  That was pretty entertaining. 

« Reply #2324 on: August 07, 2016, 10:09:35 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think a lot of actors and movies simply try to hard and fail.   This does not lead to a believable performance, in most cases.  Superhero movies are one of the easiest mediums, the source material, is not real, most of the fan base wants to like the movies and support their movies.   To blow it here, you have to be trying.

a professional film critic (and myself) carries significantly more weight than an average person in regards to what is considered a "quality" film

This was true, at one time but with the internet, no longer.   I think they are no longer needed and should go the way of the dodo.   Usually what the critics say is a good movie, is boring and artsy.  What makes a good movie is not always an entertaining movie nor a successful movie.   The same is true of music.

Get out and see the movie for yourself, instead of reading something to tell you how to think about.   Try it, I know it is hard for some.