Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 980886 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #2295 on: August 05, 2016, 04:20:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
BVS- loved it. Thought critics are nuts. Anything DC they're predetermined to dislike.
The criticism of BvS was completely warranted.  If you're a big fan of the comics, you'll still enjoy seeing some of the comic panels come to life, but it was panned for a reason.   

I actually didn't mind sitting through it, but completely agree with everything said about it.  It wasn't good.

Suicide Squad, though... good god, it's atrocious.   Arguably the least entertaining movie I've seen this year.  It's terrible.

Well it's all subjective. I loved every minute. To each his own though.
People say that a lot.  There's been lengthy debates about it.  To a certain extent, taste is subjective.  But we have some established standards in how we measure the quality of art, food, movies, etc.   You can ignore those standards if you want.  You can claim the "Big Mac" is better than whatever dish is being served up a Michelin star restaurant, because you prefer the taste.   But if we're not completely ignoring those established standards, it's possible to say the latest Oscar winner is an objectively better film than Tyler Perry's latest "Madea" movie.

Ignore the standards all you want.   But by every established standard used to determine the quality of a film - "Suicide Squad" is a dumpster fire.  It's an awful movie.   You can subjectively like it, but objectively it sucks.

In defense of critics... in general, they are a collection of unbiased folks with varied tastes that are paid to give honest critiques of films they don't necessarily have a pre-fandom of.   They represent a broad audience.   That broad audience has pretty soundly panned this movie as trash.  That said, a niche pocket of DC fanboys who project their life-long love of these characters onto this terrible film might come away liking it.  They don't represent a broad audience.  A niche audience of horror fans might love whatever latest horror B-movie schlock that has come out.  They don't represent a broad audience either.  When people whine about critics, they are misunderstanding what critics are.   They are there to help you determine how appealing a movie is going to be to most people.    If you take 1000 random people and force them to sit through "Suicide Squad", their opinions are going to line up pretty well with what the critical consensus is.    Even the people I saw the movie with do not represent that broad audience, because these are people who found the concept appealing enough that they decided to see it a day before it officially opened in theaters (and actually had to buy the tickets weeks ago when they went on sale).   My theater had mostly uncomfortable silence.  In overhearing conversations, nobody seemed to have enjoyed it all that much.

The negativity surrounding that film is only beginning.   Wait until more broad audiences get suckered into seeing it.

« Reply #2296 on: August 05, 2016, 04:27:39 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
Take it easy dude. If you dislike a movie so much why waste the time trashing it. I don't read comics. I loved BVS . It IS subjective. You're gonna have to come to grips with it. Lol .
  Take Michael Jackson the artist. Some thought he was a genius. Others think he sucks like me. It's an unpopular opinion. But it IS subjective. Things like this aren't WORTH a lengthy debate because people like different things. Just accept it. It doesn't prevent you from hating anything.

« Reply #2297 on: August 05, 2016, 04:36:06 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Take it easy dude. If you dislike a movie so much why waste the time trashing it. I don't read comics. I loved BVS . It IS subjective. You're gonna have to come to grips with it. Lol .
  Take Michael Jackson the artist. Some thought he was a genius. Others think he sucks like me. It's an unpopular opinion. But it IS subjective. Things like this aren't WORTH a lengthy debate because people like different things. Just accept it. It doesn't prevent you from hating anything.
Lol... I just really really hated it.   Such a waste.   Warner Bros should sell the DC Characters to Disney.  They are failing them hard.

But yeah, I've said it before... it's fine to like a bad film.  I've liked bad films before.   You might like "Suicide Squad"... but it's objectively a trashbag of a cash grab.

« Reply #2298 on: August 05, 2016, 04:43:07 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
It's not worth  arguing whether art is objective of subjective on celticsblog. Lol. We disagree. That's cool.

« Reply #2299 on: August 05, 2016, 05:36:05 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3783
  • Yup
The new Star Trek, and it stunk.

Poop.  Really?  I've been itching to see this.  Did you like the first two of this new incarnation?
Yup

« Reply #2300 on: August 05, 2016, 06:18:45 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
He sucks like you?   ???   

« Reply #2301 on: August 05, 2016, 06:26:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
It's not worth  arguing whether art is objective of subjective on celticsblog. Lol. We disagree. That's cool.
I do get your point, though.  "Suicide Squad" in the "Insane Clown Possee" of movies.  Most people are going to think it's trash.  There will be a fanbase for it in spite of this.

Actually, that's probably insulting to "Insane Clown Posse"... I assume they are actually entertaining.  Suicide Squad wasn't.

« Reply #2302 on: August 05, 2016, 07:52:04 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I watched Terminator Genisys. I loved the nostalgia of the first 15 minutes, but the movie turned out to be pretty bad. All the time talk was silly and unbearable. Reese was whiny and annoying. The Skynet hologram was pretty dumb. Arnold's slapstick was fun at first, but grew painful to watch pretty quickly.

It is sad to see how they wasted the great premise of redoing the beginning of the first movie with changes. Their writers just were not up to the challenge.

« Reply #2303 on: August 05, 2016, 08:35:03 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
BVS- loved it. Thought critics are nuts. Anything DC they're predetermined to dislike.
The criticism of BvS was completely warranted.  If you're a big fan of the comics, you'll still enjoy seeing some of the comic panels come to life, but it was panned for a reason.   

I actually didn't mind sitting through it, but completely agree with everything said about it.  It wasn't good.

Suicide Squad, though... good god, it's atrocious.   Arguably the least entertaining movie I've seen this year.  It's terrible.

People say that a lot.  There's been lengthy debates about it.  To a certain extent, taste is subjective.  But we have some established standards in how we measure the quality of art, food, movies, etc.   You can ignore those standards if you want.  You can claim the "Big Mac" is better than whatever dish is being served up a Michelin star restaurant, because you prefer the taste.   But if we're not completely ignoring those established standards, it's possible to say the latest Oscar winner is an objectively better film than Tyler Perry's latest "Madea" movie.

Ignore the standards all you want.   But by every established standard used to determine the quality of a film - "Suicide Squad" is a dumpster fire.  It's an awful movie.   You can subjectively like it, but objectively it sucks.

In defense of critics... in general, they are a collection of unbiased folks with varied tastes that are paid to give honest critiques of films they don't necessarily have a pre-fandom of.   They represent a broad audience.   That broad audience has pretty soundly panned this movie as trash.  That said, a niche pocket of DC fanboys who project their life-long love of these characters onto this terrible film might come away liking it.  They don't represent a broad audience.  A niche audience of horror fans might love whatever latest horror B-movie schlock that has come out.  They don't represent a broad audience either.  When people whine about critics, they are misunderstanding what critics are.   They are there to help you determine how appealing a movie is going to be to most people.    If you take 1000 random people and force them to sit through "Suicide Squad", their opinions are going to line up pretty well with what the critical consensus is.    Even the people I saw the movie with do not represent that broad audience, because these are people who found the concept appealing enough that they decided to see it a day before it officially opened in theaters (and actually had to buy the tickets weeks ago when they went on sale).   My theater had mostly uncomfortable silence.  In overhearing conversations, nobody seemed to have enjoyed it all that much.

The negativity surrounding that film is only beginning.   Wait until more broad audiences get suckered into seeing it.

I know you think of yourself as some sort of movie junkie, but to claim your opinion, or the opinion of the so-called critics carries any more weight than any one individuals opinion is utter garbage.

There is literally no such thing as an objective measure of art, beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. Being a critic of some forms of art just means people generally respect and place value in your opinion, but it does not make it objective. That is the cold hard reality of the matter.

« Reply #2304 on: August 05, 2016, 09:36:27 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I know you think of yourself as some sort of movie junkie, but to claim your opinion, or the opinion of the so-called critics carries any more weight than any one individuals opinion is utter garbage.

There is literally no such thing as an objective measure of art, beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. Being a critic of some forms of art just means people generally respect and place value in your opinion, but it does not make it objective. That is the cold hard reality of the matter.
Eh. It's an interesting debate. I think LB has it right that you can "like" a bad movie. Everything in art is subjective but there are some things less objective than the simple "I enjoyed it" for example a movie can have legitimate plot holes or a poorly formed plot, no character development, bad filmography and poor acting and still be entertaining.

Take frozen. People Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing loved frozen, but it's plot was garbage, they just threw random twists in for shock factor and there was no character development. They had cute characters and some really catchy songs and an empowering(?) message. That movie was mad successful. Enjoyable movies are always gonna receive a bump in reviews. Critics blend technical criticisms with enjoyability when rating movies. I've yet to see suicide squad but id imagine it's a very poorly made movie (bad acting filmography plot) AND was generally not enjoyable.

You can like a movie that is technically poorly made. It's all subjective, but there are established standards for technically good movies. If you like suicide squad you are not "wrong" but if you say suicide squAd was well made then it's possible that you are wrong.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2305 on: August 05, 2016, 10:27:49 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
I do get your point, though.  "Suicide Squad" in the "Insane Clown Possee" of movies.  Most people are going to think it's trash.  There will be a fanbase for it in spite of this.

Actually, that's probably insulting to "Insane Clown Posse"... I assume they are actually entertaining.  Suicide Squad wasn't.

Yikes. I don't like Michael Jackson music but I couldn't have that much hate for his music unless I was one of the kids he plied with alcohol. Lol.

« Reply #2306 on: August 05, 2016, 11:13:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Objectively speaking, yes... the opinion of professional critics and my own carries more weight than the average individual. 

The opinion of some random shlub is not qualified to critique a work of art on the same level as a professional art critic who has studied the craft his entire life.   Your 16 year old cousin who stole a bottle from his dad's wine closet is not qualified the critique a bottle of wine compared to a professional Sommelier.   The 5 year old little girl you see outside skipping rope can't tell you what makes an award winning dish.  Sure, she might really like Kraft Mac and Cheese and that's fine, but don't look to that little kid for insight into what makes Joel Robuchon's L’OEuf de caille miroir a work of culinary perfection. 

Taste is subjective.   What we define as quality is not.  Suicide Squad, by all measures, is a garbage film.  It's ok to like garbage films nonetheless in the same way it's ok to be a foodie and still enjoy a double-decker taco supreme from Taco Bell.  It's ok for your 16 year old little cousin to enjoy the bargain-bin bottle Carlos Rossi he stole from the liquor cabinet.  There's been plenty of terrible movies I've been entertained by.  There's no shame in having guilty pleasures.  I watch every "Fast and Furious" movie that comes out.  But only an idiot would argue that the performances in Fast and Furious deserve Oscars.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 11:18:35 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #2307 on: August 06, 2016, 12:49:01 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

Objectively speaking, yes... the opinion of professional critics and my own carries more weight than the average individual. 

LOL!

I have no doubt that you actually believe that.

But here in the real world nobody gives a rats behind what you think.

By the way, I've never seen Suicide Squad, and probably never will.  And further to the point, the simple fact of the matter is, art by definition cannot be objectively measured.  It's not a quantifiable medium.  Critics can come up with whatever meaures they want, but they're still just opinions, not facts. You can sit here and argue against that all you want, but it doesn't make it true.

« Reply #2308 on: August 06, 2016, 12:57:52 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

LOL!

Because it's objectively true the film analysis of film critics, as well as my own, carries more weight than someone who doesn't understand how to analyze the quality of film.   You can prefer Adam sander's "jack and Jill" to the godfather, but it doesn't make it a better film.  And if don't understand why that is, your opinion on the subject will not hold much weight at all. 

« Reply #2309 on: August 06, 2016, 01:07:34 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

LOL!

Because it's objectively true the film analysis of film critics, as well as my own, carries more weight than someone who doesn't understand how to analyze the quality of film.   You can prefer Adam sander's "jack and Jill" to the godfather, but it doesn't make it a better film.  And if don't understand why that is, your opinion on the subject will not hold much weight at all. 

Clearly you need a dictionary.  Because you obviously don't understand the difference between the terms objective and subjective. 

I'm not worried about what anyone thinks of my opinion on film, or any other form of art.  That's the point of art, it's meant to be a subjective medium to which the beauty, or lack thereof, is up to each individual to decide for themselves.  Anyone who believes otherwise is just fooling themselves.

I can't help it if you don't understand that.  But I wouldn't expect you to.