Author Topic: Mike Lowell NOT Traded To Rangers (Updated)  (Read 18290 times)

Re: Mike Lowell Traded To Rangers?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 07:58:40 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Maybe this paves the way for a trade for Miggy Cabrera, with some sort of V-mart, New Guy, Cabrera, Ortiz, Youk, etc. platoon at first/catcher/third/DH such that Cabrera, Youk, and V-mart are in the lineup every day their healthy.

probably no chance we can acquire Cabrera.  They asked for Buch AND ellsbury for Granderson. realistically, if that was their price for Granderson, in order to make up the difference for Cabrera you would have to look at the top 1,2,3 prospects in our entire system (Bard, kelly, Reddick?, in addition to buch and Ellsbury) just to get to the table.  Which is obviuosly insane.

Max Ramirez was very very highly regarded quite recently.  I wouldnt be upset if they got him and let him figure out 1b in the minors (Catching is likely out of the question).

Beltre would also be pretty nice at 3b, to round out the remaining issues

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 08:54:57 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Maybe this paves the way for a trade for Miggy Cabrera, with some sort of V-mart, New Guy, Cabrera, Ortiz, Youk, etc. platoon at first/catcher/third/DH such that Cabrera, Youk, and V-mart are in the lineup every day their healthy.

probably no chance we can acquire Cabrera.  They asked for Buch AND ellsbury for Granderson. realistically, if that was their price for Granderson, in order to make up the difference for Cabrera you would have to look at the top 1,2,3 prospects in our entire system (Bard, kelly, Reddick?, in addition to buch and Ellsbury) just to get to the table.  Which is obviuosly insane.

Max Ramirez was very very highly regarded quite recently.  I wouldnt be upset if they got him and let him figure out 1b in the minors (Catching is likely out of the question).

Beltre would also be pretty nice at 3b, to round out the remaining issues

I'd had least see what it'd take and keep trying. Obviously it's a balance, you can't deplete your farm system, but it's also true that 99% of prospects end up being significantly worse than their hype/projections. Not like any of the sox prospects are "can't miss" anyway, so at some point you have to cash in for a gamechanger.

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 09:06:56 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I think I'd be happy with Beltre too, if he signs a more reasonable deal. Good D, and not so good offense in a terrible hitting park. Once he gets to Fenway, i think his offense will increase he may actually then be better than the contract he earns this offseason. buy low.

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 10:02:51 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
I think I'd be happy with Beltre too, if he signs a more reasonable deal. Good D, and not so good offense in a terrible hitting park. Once he gets to Fenway, i think his offense will increase he may actually then be better than the contract he earns this offseason. buy low.

he is supposedly lookign for 5 years, 13 million per year.  I dont think I really want the sox paying that, but who knows.

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 10:09:56 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If we can sign Beltre to a reasonable contract I am all for it. He has been hitting 25 homeruns a year in the cavernous Safeco. 260 with 30+ hr and top 5 defense at his position are good enough for me. If we can get him for 8 million or less a year for a few years or for big money for a short amount of time I am fine with this deal.

If he wants big money for a lot of years I am not interested. We have a ton of money coming off the books next year for a stacked free agent class. We don't need to overpay for Beltre and tie money up for a long time

If we don't sign him I wouldn't be shocked if we start Kotchman or Ramirez at first and move Youk to 3rd.

I think signing a bunch of guys to fill out our roster and keeping all our prospects so we can be a good team for years to come is what will happen.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 10:11:42 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423

probably no chance we can acquire Cabrera.  They asked for Buch AND ellsbury for Granderson.

Boy. I'd love to negotiate against you.  C'mon, that wasn't their real price.  The Yankees paid about 20% of that to get Granderson.  (Don't let Yankee fans tell you that Austin Jackson is a blue chip prospect.  He isn't.  The strikes out alot, doesn't walk and doesn't hit home runs, even though he tries to pull everything.)

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 10:12:38 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

he is supposedly lookign for 5 years, 13 million per year.  I dont think I really want the sox paying that, but who knows.
Where did you hear this? If this is true we need to pass. I wouldn't pay him 13 mill per year for more than 2 years with an option.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2009, 10:36:51 AM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
While Beltre may be looking for 13 a year over 5, he won't get it especially after Figgins only got the 4 year 36 million dollar deal.

Id lvoe to bring him in on a 3 year for 30 million, even with an option for a 4th year but anything over that is too much IMO.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 10:47:09 AM by Big_Matt34 »

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2009, 10:57:12 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Where did you hear this? If this is true we need to pass. I wouldn't pay him 13 mill per year for more than 2 years with an option.

From the Herald:

It’s believed that Beltre, whose last deal was a five-year contract worth $12.4 million a year, is looking for a similar length with his next deal, with an annual average value of approximately $13 million.

Link

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2009, 11:05:12 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1648
  • What a Pub Should Be
No way I want Theo throwing big money for 4 or 5 years at Beltre. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2009, 11:08:07 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

probably no chance we can acquire Cabrera.  They asked for Buch AND ellsbury for Granderson.

Boy. I'd love to negotiate against you.  C'mon, that wasn't their real price.  The Yankees paid about 20% of that to get Granderson.  (Don't let Yankee fans tell you that Austin Jackson is a blue chip prospect.  He isn't.  The strikes out alot, doesn't walk and doesn't hit home runs, even though he tries to pull everything.)

We could argue the level of prospects endlessly.  the fact is, the tigers wanted mlb ready prospects.  if you look at our prospects, we dont have many of them (outside of buch, ellsbury (not a prospect anymore) and bard, I think Reddick may be the only one you could argue, and he isnt really mlb ready).  People are all over the map on Jackson, but he was a top 15 (iirc) prospect in all of baseball.  he is young, hits for avg, and is fairly toolsy.  I agree he is overrated, but he isnt a bum either. the tigers also got scherzer and schlereth, two very good young pitching prospects (I know edwin jackson was included in this part, but who knows what the price would be for each individually) 

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2009, 11:29:07 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423

We could argue the level of prospects endlessly.  the fact is, the tigers wanted mlb ready prospects.  if you look at our prospects, we dont have many of them (outside of buch, ellsbury (not a prospect anymore) and bard, I think Reddick may be the only one you could argue, and he isnt really mlb ready).  People are all over the map on Jackson, but he was a top 15 (iirc) prospect in all of baseball.  he is young, hits for avg, and is fairly toolsy.  I agree he is overrated, but he isnt a bum either. the tigers also got scherzer and schlereth, two very good young pitching prospects (I know edwin jackson was included in this part, but who knows what the price would be for each individually) 

The prize for the Tigers was Schlereth plus the salary dump, not Jackson.

Yankee fans used to jump up and down about Jose Tabata, too, until they traded him to the Pirates in the Nagy/Marte deal.  Tabata has yet to see his first major league at bat, even with the pathetic Pirates, and he may never get to the majors.

I'd be willing to bet that you could get Cabrera for a lot less than you think, assumning the sox were willing to take on salary.  The rumor is that the Tigers are unhappy with his work ethic:  he likes to party and often shows up for work having gotten little sleep and with a hangover.

I would offer Casey Kelly and Jose Iglesias, and I bet the Tigers would take it.

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2009, 11:38:05 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

The prize for the Tigers was Schlereth plus the salary dump, not Jackson.

Yankee fans used to jump up and down about Jose Tabata, too, until they traded him to the Pirates in the Nagy/Marte deal.  Tabata has yet to see his first major league at bat, even with the pathetic Pirates, and he may never get to the majors.

I'd be willing to bet that you could get Cabrera for a lot less than you think, assumning the sox were willing to take on salary.  The rumor is that the Tigers are unhappy with his work ethic:  he likes to party and often shows up for work having gotten little sleep and with a hangover.

I would offer Casey Kelly and Jose Iglesias, and I bet the Tigers would take it.

I'm assuming that's in addition to an Ellsbury or Bucholtz type?

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2009, 11:41:16 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I heard we are paying 9 million of Lowell's 12 million contract.

So I guess we are "saving" 3 million if we weren't going use Lowell next season.

I also heard we might be trading Buch, Ellsbury and Papelbon to the Tigers for Miguel Cabrerra and then bringing back Coco Crisp.

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2009, 11:44:06 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
I heard we are paying 9 million of Lowell's 12 million contract.

So I guess we are "saving" 3 million if we weren't going use Lowell next season.

I also heard we might be trading Buch, Ellsbury and Papelbon to the Tigers for Miguel Cabrerra and then bringing back Coco Crisp.

Buch, Ellsbury, and Papelbon?  Where's that coming from?  ???