Author Topic: Wife's Christmas Party or C's Game?  (Read 22980 times)

Re: Wife's Christmas Party or C's Game?
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
I just wanna say I'm touched by this topic. Says a lot. :) I don't even have a girlfriend let alone a wife yet (still in college), so I hope I can do myself right.

And to be honest with you, blake, boat on the canal + nice dinner + "upscale" bowling alley? IMO, that sounds like a nice time out for a Christmas party. If it was me, a Celtics game against an expansion team (:D) could pass, especially if it's to do my wife right. Either way, WILL be other games, and like others have said, I think you made the right decision if for no other reason because your significant other will remember you for it, and will want to pay you back, probably MUCH sooner rather than later.

Oh, and FKD definitely gets a TP from me for his offer. : )

« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2009, 05:51:53 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Wow!  I had all but made up my mind to go to the game.  The comments made on here have changed my mind.  I thought for sure that you guys would tell me to go to the game.  I'm going to trust my elders of the tribe on this one.  I'll put on a happy face, but I am going to be crying on the inside all night on Friday. I would normally say that "you have no idea how hard this is", but you guys are the probably the only ones who do understand.

FatKidsDad, that was an amazing offer but I can't take you up on it.  That was the single most impressive post I've ever seen here on the boards.  I would love to take you up on it, but it is just too cost prohibitive (optometry school loans).  TPs forever to you sir.

other details:  "upscale bowling" is a relative term.  It, like someone else mentioned earlier is an adult place.  Not your normal bowling alley.  There are cocktail waitresses, good booze, dj, etc.

on to the negotiations:  Things that will be "demanded" in return:

1- Good seats at the Celts Mavs game in March (Thank the Lord it is on a Saturday),
2- If the same thing happens next year, we both go to the C's game.

Any other ideas to throw into the negotiations?

Thank you guys again.  I'm assuming that I'm making the mature decision.  

Say you also want to get something that she usually nags you for getting. In my case a couple 6 packs of beer and possibly a video game. But then when you're in the liquor store you probably also want to get one of those girly drinks that she likes and that you don't understand

« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2009, 05:54:07 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
I usually give my boyfriend a pass whenever the Spurs play because he agreed years ago our children will be raised Celtics fans LOL. But seriously it's because I honestly don't mind. The important thing is understanding her perspective which is really all us women want unlike what some of the anecdotes in this thread would have you believe.

I'd say go to the party because she's willing to go to Dallas to see a game with you which means she already realizes how important the Celtics are to you and that has to make you willing to go the extra mile for her too. Have fun at the party and I hope your wife doesn't read Celticsblog  ;D

And TP to FatKids dad. FatKid and his/her mom are lucky to have you!

Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2009, 06:00:47 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
I thought this was a no brainer, but my family is giving me so much heat for not going to the wife's Christmas party.  It is on the same night as the only C's game in OKC (where I live).  Am I out of line for refusing to budge?

Before I throw in my 2 cents I just want to say how amazing this blog is and how amazing it is that a topic like this can get thrown out there and is taken seriously. The feedback has been thoughtful and it's small things like this which make me feel like the participants of this blog are all like one big family.

My 2 cents:

The Ideal - Bring your wife to the game and go to the upscale bowling party after. If she's on board with this concept, and if yo don't HAVE to take your buddy (who you mentioned briefly in one of your responses) then this is obviously a win-win situation for both you and your wife.

The compromise - Sell your seats, suck it up, and go with your wife on the canal ride, the dinner, and the bowling alley. Have her acknowledge that you are making a sacrifice for her happiness (which in turn makes you happy ;D) and if you're up for it propose the Dallas road trip idea - It's not ideal (see above), but that's why they call it a compromise.

The Long Wait - Given that you said a road trip to Dallas wouldn't be something you'd be super pumped about due to the likelihood of the seats being "lame" (compared to the first few rows @ the game in OKC) I completely understand your perspective in that it's the ONLY day the C's are in town and you had purchased good tickets at the end of Sept. With that being said, tell her that short of a death in the family you are going to next years Celtics @ OKC game NO MATTER WHAT. I don't believe she realizes how important the game is to you and/or how passionate you are about attending the event.

By my estimation - those are your 3 options.

Thoughts?
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2009, 06:09:12 PM »

Offline wjb3000

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
And to add some true story
Once I miss an aniversary (one of the first) I cant rememeber if it was when we were boyfriend and girlfriend or married
But yesterday (and I am not kidding) while watching a bkb game she remembered me that once we miss and aniversary for watching a Cs game on tv
Elephants have good memory, wives have better.

Edgar, TP for making me laugh out loud at work.

« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2009, 06:35:10 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2572
Been married 24 years this past Sunday......let me say this ....if you had to come in here to ask to help you decide then I already know the answer.....enjoy the party.

I think Po is correct.  I have been married 20 years and given the same circumstances, my wife would want me to go to the game -- not so much because she wants me to be happy, but more because she's not all that crazy about me.   

So...while your wife is still crazy about you (which may last forever if you always abide by the following advice), do what makes her happy. 

« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2009, 06:55:26 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
When you've been married as many times as I have, you learn all of the mistakes not to make.

My first wife would have said, "Fine, go to the game, but no sex for a month."

My second wife would have said, "Fine, go to the game, but if you do I'm going to sleep with that cute guy in accounting and there will be no sex until you buy me something very expensive."

My current wife would say, "If you go to the game, I will cut off your balls and feed them to the cat."

I never should have divorced my first wife.

Go to the Christmas party.

« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2009, 06:56:37 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 734
  • MASTER OF PANIC
C's game

« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2009, 06:58:36 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
If you need to even ask................
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2009, 07:00:07 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
After reading some of these responses I am so glad my gf likes watching and going to basketball games.  Wish I could've been in town to snag the UNC-Mich St tix she gave up though...

« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2009, 07:04:38 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
At least the Dallas game could be a real good game to go to and is probably nationally televised (which I think adds more excitement). The Ok city game even with KD isn't as appealing to me.

« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2009, 10:29:17 AM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I thought this was a no brainer, but my family is giving me so much heat for not going to the wife's Christmas party.  It is on the same night as the only C's game in OKC (where I live).  Am I out of line for refusing to budge?

Before I throw in my 2 cents I just want to say how amazing this blog is and how amazing it is that a topic like this can get thrown out there and is taken seriously. The feedback has been thoughtful and it's small things like this which make me feel like the participants of this blog are all like one big family.

My 2 cents:

The Ideal - Bring your wife to the game and go to the upscale bowling party after. If she's on board with this concept, and if yo don't HAVE to take your buddy (who you mentioned briefly in one of your responses) then this is obviously a win-win situation for both you and your wife.

The compromise - Sell your seats, suck it up, and go with your wife on the canal ride, the dinner, and the bowling alley. Have her acknowledge that you are making a sacrifice for her happiness (which in turn makes you happy ;D) and if you're up for it propose the Dallas road trip idea - It's not ideal (see above), but that's why they call it a compromise.

The Long Wait - Given that you said a road trip to Dallas wouldn't be something you'd be super pumped about due to the likelihood of the seats being "lame" (compared to the first few rows @ the game in OKC) I completely understand your perspective in that it's the ONLY day the C's are in town and you had purchased good tickets at the end of Sept. With that being said, tell her that short of a death in the family you are going to next years Celtics @ OKC game NO MATTER WHAT. I don't believe she realizes how important the game is to you and/or how passionate you are about attending the event.

Thoughts?

Update:  So I chose to go with the compromise and the long wait combo.

I talked to her as she got off work yesterday and told her that I would go to the party with her.  She has since thanked me about 100 times, and has agreed to the Dallas trip and that if this comes up next year we will be going to the game.  The mood of my house has completely changed from 48 hours ago.  Even my dog seems to like me more.

Big thanks to FKD and to everyone who helped out. 

« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2009, 10:34:38 AM »

Offline Master Po

• Author and
  • CelticsBlog Relic
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 242
  • The Man behind the Curtain
good......I am sure it beats the mood in Tiger Woods house this morning

« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2009, 06:48:15 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153

My 2 cents:

Thoughts?

Update:  So I chose to go with the compromise and the long wait combo.

I talked to her as she got off work yesterday and told her that I would go to the party with her.  She has since thanked me about 100 times, and has agreed to the Dallas trip and that if this comes up next year we will be going to the game.  The mood of my house has completely changed from 48 hours ago.  Even my dog seems to like me more.

Big thanks to FKD and to everyone who helped out. 

Glad I can help! Thanks for the TP!
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2009, 07:03:04 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
good......I am sure it beats the mood in Tiger Woods house this morning

haha now that is worth a TP
do it