Author Topic: Cavs Worse with Shaq?  (Read 3252 times)

Cavs Worse with Shaq?
« on: November 28, 2009, 04:42:01 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Cleveland rec with Shaq: 7-4
Cleveland rec without Shaq: 5-1

This is a small sample size, and it's early in the season.  However, the Cavs definitely seem better without Shaq.  Even when he does play, they are better off when he plays limited minutes (e.g. 21 minutes in their win against Orlando).

Do you think the Cavs are really better without Shaq, or is it just circumstance?  Do the Cavs just need some time to adjust, or is Shaq turning out to be something of a bust for them?

I'm inclined to believe the latter.  Shaq has already been injured, showing his age.  Cleveland is not Phoenix.  Shaq is only averaging 11 pts and 7 rebounds per game.  Not exactly stellar numbers.  In fact, Kendrick Perkins has a better stat line than that - and he's far from being the 2nd or 3rd option on the Celtics (whereas Shaq was supposed to be LeBron's #2).

What do you think?
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

Re: Cavs Worse with Shaq?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 06:50:07 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Yup. I think Shaq is a bust with Cleveland.  But it MIGHT just be too early to tell.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 08:19:36 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
He is hurting them. He can get the job done offensively but he is too slow to get back on D, and opponents have fun skipping right over him for easy buckets or kick-out.

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 09:18:20 AM »

Offline Aeacus

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 110
He is hurting them. He can get the job done offensively but he is too slow to get back on D, and opponents have fun skipping right over him for easy buckets or kick-out.

Unless he has an extremely favorable matchup, I don't think Shaq is a good offensive option anymore.  He can't score efficently for a big man and he kills the Cav's offensive flow when they start dumping the ball to him.  He's not a #2 option anymore he's a role player who can't adapt to a different offense.

Combine that with the fact he is a huge defensive liability on anything but straight up post play and the fact that Mike Brown wants to play Shaq and Big Z together (slowest front court in the world!) and you have a player who hurts his team more than he helps on most days. 

Cleveland just has to hope they get on a good run in the playoffs because other than LBJ I don't see anyone on that team who scares me in matchups.

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 09:20:57 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i think when trying to see the cavs vision, u have to look at the postseason.  shaq wont do too much during the regular season bc he is honest in saying he doesnt go all out bc he wants to keep something left in the tank for the postseason.  i think shaq will help them in the playoffs.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 09:24:56 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I agree with Aeacus...specifically against ORL.

I really believe that CLE is planning on somehow getting through BOS, ATL and everyone else and playing ORL in the Eastern Conf playoffs.

I can see Shaq playing all out against Dwight just to prove ORL wrong. And with Dwight it's a personal thing with Shaq IMO.

And Dwight is slowed down considerably against physical centers (Perk, Shaq).

I really believe this is CLE's plan.

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 09:29:56 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
i think when trying to see the cavs vision, u have to look at the postseason.  shaq wont do too much during the regular season bc he is honest in saying he doesnt go all out bc he wants to keep something left in the tank for the postseason.  i think shaq will help them in the playoffs.
agreed
A harsh look at cavs is that they can't win the big one with their give it to lebron and get out of the way.  With this offense z is better as a shooting stiff who isn't clogging the lane (shaq).  Come playoffs shaq still has what it takes to handle howard and is a tough matchup for perk or any other big in east.  Granted if we went to a kg/sheed lineup (hint doc) than shaq would be not so useful to cavs.

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 09:33:35 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
We all knew that Shaq would clog things up over there.  The thing that I fear is his 20 million $ expiring contract that they can trade at the deadline. 

I'd like Shaq in green though  ;)
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 10:03:54 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Too early to tell but from the perspective of the Cavs it'd probably be a no if they got him to deal with the Magic and so far are 1-0 against them. Of course Lewis didn't play in that game and he's the kind of PF that gives the them trouble.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 10:27:38 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I still think the problem is the PF. 

When Shaq is out, the lack of shooting at the PF is corrected with Big Z's ability to shoot.

They needs to find a PF that can both defend and hit a mid range jump shot. 

The thing I worry the most is if DC decides to blow up and trade Jamison to Clev.

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 10:30:11 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
To add to that, there is a big part of me that is not worried.

The Clev. GM seems to only make half moves.

They add pieces that sort of fix needs, but only window dressing size.

They need a top player next to Lebron, they get Williams.  Nice, but not a number 2 player on a title team.

They decide to get stronger down low, so they get Shaq.  But they do not adjust the rest of the roster to best compliment Lebron and Shaq.

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 11:43:30 AM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
Ferry isn't making independent GM decisions;he's making some decisions just to placate LBJ.  That kind of thing tends not to work.  The problem with Cleveland last season was NOT the lack of a behemoth Center.

Agreed: the Cavs were better without Snaq.  They're not getting too much bang for their $20 million bucks (more, if you include luxury tax).  We're lucky Snaq was the highest profile player available when Ferry panicked.
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 11:54:59 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think part of their problem is not having anyone else besides Lebron that can create his own offense.When Delonte is playing he gives them that added offensive player who can get his own without the help of Lebron.Also,in the playoffs the game becomes more of a halfcourt game,where Shaq's presence will be a plus.

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 12:30:06 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
It's funny because Shaq's offense has been unstoppable. He's scoring down low at will. Too bad no one on that team can defend besides LBJ... and he's never even guarding the other teams best player.

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 05:23:44 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
The problem isn't exactly Shaq (although I'm not sure if Shaq still offers enough offensively and rebounding wise to make up for his defensive deficiencies), it's that there's too much slowness in that big man rotation.

Ferry would need to be crazy to not trade Ilgauskas.