Author Topic: Red Sox preparing for a spending spree?!?!?  (Read 15772 times)

Red Sox preparing for a spending spree?!?!?
« on: November 10, 2009, 12:29:50 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
So we're talking to Theo Epstein Monday afternoon and he mentions that restructuring Tim Wakefield's deal will save the Sox $1.5 million on the CBT, which is GM-speak for the payroll luxury tax, or collective bargaining tax.

"That's important because there's some things we want to do this winter and we don't have a ton of room under the CBT," Epstein said.

The tax threshold for 2010 will be $170 million. Are the Red Sox actually planning to approach that?

I mean, zowie. They were around $125 million this season.

Keeping in mind that is an extremely rough estimate, I have the Red Sox committed to approximately $109 million for next season. That's figuring arbitration raises for Jonathan Papelbon, Jermey Hermida, Hideki Okajima and Ramon Ramirez and $500,000 each for the assorted 0-3 service-time players.

Let's say they sign Jason Bay for $18 million. So now they're at $127 million. Where is that extra $43 million coming from that Theo seemed concerned about?

Are the Red Sox leaving room for Roy Halladay and some other superstar?

This is total conjecture, of course, and perhaps Epstein was just musing out loud. But perhaps that was a clue that the Sox are, if nothing else, giving themselves the option to make a huge splash.

UPDATE, 11:54 a.m.: The CBT is actually the "competitive balance tax" as an astute reader pointed out.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2009/11/are_the_sox_pla.html?comments=all#readerComm

That should certainly stoke the hot stove

Re: Red Sox preparing for a spending spree?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 12:41:21 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1649
  • What a Pub Should Be
To me, at least, I think its more likely they make a big splash via the trade route than through free agency signings. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 01:05:22 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
To me, at least, I think its more likely they make a big splash via the trade route than through free agency signings. 

Exactly

I think Adrian Gonzalez is coming from San Diego.

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 01:16:18 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Does the CBT take into account things like draft pick bonus's and international free agents?

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 01:18:44 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Does the CBT take into account things like draft pick bonus's and international free agents?

I think it only includes players on the 40 man roster, although I could be mistaken.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 01:19:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't see a spending spree. I see the opposite. I see a team restructuring what was an extremely friendly Wakefield deal to save money because that's the mode they are in. Money saving. I mean really, does restructuring a deal to save $1.5M under the CBT make any sense when you are already tens of millions under that level already? Epstein is blowing smoke up the guys butt with that line, that's for sure.

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 01:24:57 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
I don't see a spending spree. I see the opposite. I see a team restructuring what was an extremely friendly Wakefield deal to save money because that's the mode they are in. Money saving. I mean really, does restructuring a deal to save $1.5M under the CBT make any sense when you are already tens of millions under that level already? Epstein is blowing smoke up the guys butt with that line, that's for sure.

Or Epstein slipped and let something go he didnt mean to.  It isnt outrageous to think that they could try and trade for X (with an extended big money deal) and resign Bay, etc...

because thats the very thing, it makes no sense to be talking about saving the money unless they have thought they are going to be close to the limit.

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 01:29:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Or Epstein slipped and let something go he didnt mean to.  It isnt outrageous to think that they could try and trade for X (with an extended big money deal) and resign Bay, etc...

because thats the very thing, it makes no sense to be talking about saving the money unless they have thought they are going to be close to the limit.
Or because he doesn't want to scare off season ticket renewals by saying that the Sox are going into a money saving role for a year so that they can throw the house at Joe Mauer, Brandon Webb and Carl Crawford in 2010-11 off season.

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 01:39:45 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

Or because he doesn't want to scare off season ticket renewals by saying that the Sox are going into a money saving role for a year so that they can throw the house at Joe Mauer, Brandon Webb and Carl Crawford in 2010-11 off season.

sure it's possible.  anything's possible.  well, except the season ticket holders being scared off.  I doubt that.  I guess time will tell...I wouldnt be that excited about putting my hopes on Mauer (who isnt leaving minny)...

time will tell, I tend to believe it was such an obtuse coment that he wasnt trying to send any signals - there are easier ways to make sure they are picked up,.,

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 02:29:30 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Nick are you particularly high on Webb?  To me its seems like hes got an injury history and will be coming from the weak offensively NL West. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 02:32:43 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
Nick are you particularly high on Webb?  To me its seems like hes got an injury history and will be coming from the weak offensively NL West. 

What injury history?
he has started over 33 games the last 5 years (his first year in, he started 29).  thrown 200+ in every season but his first (all of those numbers are excluding his most recent season, where he did get injured)

Certainly going NL to AL is a risk, but he isnt injury prone and has been dominant...

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 02:35:25 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

What injury history?
he has started over 33 games the last 5 years (his first year in, he started 29).  thrown 200+ in every season but his first (all of those numbers are excluding his most recent season, where he did get injured)

Certainly going NL to AL is a risk, but he isnt injury prone and has been dominant...

He just had season ending surgery to his throwing shoulder in August...
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 02:44:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

What injury history?

He had an injury that kept him out this year but he's already throwing after having that surgery. he's a 6'3" horse pitching for a pitching staff that over pitched him for some years which probably led to the wear on the shoulder. I mean 226+IP for 4 years in a row is ridiculous. Derek Lowe is a very similar pitcher, though not nearly as good, and has been durable because he is constantly kept at about 200IP per year. A low ball, sinker fastball pitcher is a great asset in Fenway and if properly handled, like the Red Sox are known for around the league for being with pitcher's innings, I think he would be a fantastic fit in Fenway.

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 02:47:33 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

What injury history?

He had an injury that kept him out this year but he's already throwing after having that surgery. he's a 6'3" horse pitching for a pitching staff that over pitched him for some years which probably led to the wear on the shoulder. I mean 226+IP for 4 years in a row is ridiculous. Derek Lowe is a very similar pitcher, though not nearly as good, and has been durable because he is constantly kept at about 200IP per year. A low ball, sinker fastball pitcher is a great asset in Fenway and if properly handled, like the Red Sox are known for around the league for being with pitcher's innings, I think he would be a fantastic fit in Fenway.

I hear ya, Im just not interested in a guy on the wrong side of the 30 coming of surgery on his throwing shoulder with a career record of 87-62 with a 3.27 ERA pithcing in the NL West.

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 02:58:35 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
It wasn't really a good sign when John Henry laid off 25% of the employees in his hedge fund about a week ago.

I don't forsee a spending spree at all.  In fact, I don't want to see any more bad investments like J.D. Drew.

The sox need to resign Bay amd add one more hitter who can play 1B and the outfield in a pinch-- not necessarily a superstar, but a decent hitter.  Then they need to resign Alex Gonzales, and find a young catcher who can throw. Varitek and can the third catcher and bullpen coach.  They platoon Papi and Lowell at DH.

And above all, they keep their young pitching.  All of it.  Pitching is 70% of the game, except in September and October, when it's 80% of the game.