Author Topic: We are EXTREMELY lucky  (Read 7569 times)

We are EXTREMELY lucky
« on: October 08, 2009, 11:57:38 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I would like to everyones attention how lucky we are to have a team with such an amazing history of players, and legends. We are even more lucky with how many of them you can see during team events and special ceremonies. Lets take a look over recent years.

Re: We are EXTREMELY lucky
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 12:01:23 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 12:57:47 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
TP for Ghandi and Amen.

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 01:10:42 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
TP to Ghandi!

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 01:19:00 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
SWEET!

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 01:22:13 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I've always thought this.

It's like wow, my home team is the best basketball team in NBA history.  What are the chances of that?

It's especially lucky for because basketball is the only sport I really follow.  Just imagine if you lived in a city where your team has never even won ONE championship.  That's what I call bad luck.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 08:39:18 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Now think of Ainge's theory on breaking up the big 3 in their prime to get trades etc.  One reason why we are the boston celtics is we keep our stars (or most) for their entire careers and  they become part of Boston.  We could have traded Russell 3 years from the end and gotten 2-3 good players...........

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 10:55:58 AM »

Offline cargomaniac

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • It is time for 18
It's especially lucky for because basketball is the only sport I really follow.  Just imagine if you lived in a city where your team has never even won ONE championship.  That's what I call bad luck.

TP for you and you are right. Celtics fan by grace of the man above. Win, lose or draw..a fan to the core. Basketball is the only sport I watch all of the time. I wont deny world sports (soccer (or European Football if you will)) is starting to come on the radar....there is still nothing like watching my beloved Celtics.

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 11:46:45 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
TP. Great thread. Sometimes I forget how the great the Celtics franchise is and not just from a biased fan's perspective.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 02:19:34 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
Now think of Ainge's theory on breaking up the big 3 in their prime to get trades etc.  One reason why we are the boston celtics is we keep our stars (or most) for their entire careers and  they become part of Boston.  We could have traded Russell 3 years from the end and gotten 2-3 good players...........

If not for Bias and Reggie it wouldn't have mattered, Bias on the 1987 Celtics is another championship, and Reggie was one more good player away from having some [dang] good teams as well.

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 04:01:09 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
This thread gets no play if we don't win in 2008. We'd all be moaning about it being 23 years since we last one a championship. Winning in '08 allows us to re-embrace our history of winnnig, instead of our 20 year history of whining.

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 05:38:03 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
This thread gets no play if we don't win in 2008. We'd all be moaning about it being 23 years since we last one a championship. Winning in '08 allows us to re-embrace our history of winnnig, instead of our 20 year history of whining.

This thread does get play, i've been wearing the same PP shirt for 9 years (i bought a very big one). I had an Antoine one before that, and all my uncles have Havlicek, McHale, Lewis jerseys. I'm well versed in the history of the Boston Celtics as ALOT of people on this blog are. 

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 05:52:08 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
It's like wow, my home team is the best basketball team in NBA history.  What are the chances of that?

Try the best basketball team of all time.

From the worldwide perspective, and I'd been to a slew of countries, the Boston Celtics is regarded in the same vein as Brazil's national team is regarded, to the World Cup, or any other International soccer contest. In other words, the best of the best for the sport.

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 06:14:33 PM »

Offline cargomaniac

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • It is time for 18
"This thread gets no play if we don't win in 2008. We'd all be moaning about it being 23 years since we last one a championship. Winning in '08 allows us to re-embrace our history of winnnig, instead of our 20 year history of whining."

I cant say I agree with this comment. No one likes losing but this is the team I follow. I am to the point of zealot about it. While I ALWAYS want (and to a certain extent expect) a title every year, I understand that will not always be the case.

As a true fan...I love the team win or Lose. While I am NOT a sox fan....I can appeciate their fevour and the pian that they endured til the Sox finally won a title. I never saw the support waiver. The Celtics will always be number 1 for me..win, lose or draw.

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 07:53:33 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
"This thread gets no play if we don't win in 2008. We'd all be moaning about it being 23 years since we last one a championship. Winning in '08 allows us to re-embrace our history of winnnig, instead of our 20 year history of whining."

I cant say I agree with this comment. No one likes losing but this is the team I follow. I am to the point of zealot about it. While I ALWAYS want (and to a certain extent expect) a title every year, I understand that will not always be the case.

As a true fan...I love the team win or Lose. While I am NOT a sox fan....I can appeciate their fevour and the pian that they endured til the Sox finally won a title. I never saw the support waiver. The Celtics will always be number 1 for me..win, lose or draw.

Well said (TP). While there are many who demand winning to earn their loyalty, one thing that has always made Celtics fans stand apart is their loyalty to the team, regardless of the record. I've been a fan for over (ouch!) 40 years, and I was no LESS a fan through the "lean" years when Reggie Lewis and Paul Pierce were basically the only players anchoring this team.

Was it frustrating? Of course! EVERYONE wants to win a Championship ... that's what this is all about, and I'm sure there were times when Paul felt extremely so, to the point of wanting to get the heck out of here. But for many reasons, (mostly money), he stuck around and put this team on his back. But us Celtics fans were no LESS fans in those years ... to me, we ALWAYS had a chance, we were always just short of making it, ( and we did make it into the playoffs a few times.)

The ones who were "whining" all those years, were still die-hard fans, and whining because they loved their Celtics so and couldn't stand to see them not do what they were used to seeing them do: be the best. To the rest of us who didn't spend that time whining, we knew that the time would come when this team got back to doing what it always did best: winning ... and we were maybe just a bit more patient because we had been around during the last heyday, and knew it was just a matter of time.

To me, that's one of the reasons Paul Pierce is my favorite player ... not because he's the greatest on earth, for we know that's not true, but because he carried this team all those years, and epitomised and embodied all the Celtics had been about in the "good" years, and brought us across that bridge to our present renaissance. I was content all those years because I knew this would come somehow, and I think it was Paul that instilled that confidence in me and many others.

He has always been a true Celtic, with the never-say-die attitude, and the Celtic pride and confidence, no matter how discouraging it got. Now he's brought that sense of "GREEN" to the next great period for this team, and to us "die-hards", in the back of our minds and consciousness, we KNEW it would come, and it was destiny and sacrifice and hard work by Paul Pierce that would bring it.

To me, this team was never any less of a source of pride, despite those lean years, because no matter who has ever been on the floor dressed in green, they ALWAYS carried that history and pride with them, and you could always feel it, whether we got to the playoffs or not. To me, this has always been a Championship-ready team, even though it may have been history or pride or a die-hard sense of what the Celtics have always embodied, that made me feel that way.

Whether we were winning or not, those guys in green that went out on that parquet floor each night, carried all that being a Celtic was about on their shoulders ... and the rest of us were swept up in that feeling, regardless. That's what this team has always been about, and always will be about.

* BAHKU MUSIC *