Author Topic: What would it take for Michael Sweetney to make this roster? (merged)  (Read 49341 times)

Re: What would it take for Michael Sweetney to make this roster? (merged)
« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2009, 06:22:46 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398
If this was Mike Sweetney from the Knicks days, I'd say let go of Shelden and keep him. He played great for the Knicks back in the day, but...

happened.

well, that is certainly one depressing set of pix right there. talk about letting yourself go.

i just wonder if the 2009 is actually THINNER than the 2008 version?

by the way...tp for the pix.

Wow.  Can't that guy spend the summer on "The Biggest Loser" and lose like 100 pounds in a few months?  Come on... what gives?

By the way, these two pictures make him look like he got taller. Is he still growing? If he gets to 7'2 we could have something.

« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2009, 07:03:06 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Sweetney could right now be very effective against Shaq. I am more and more convinced that we should keep Mike and release Tony Allen somehow!!

« Reply #107 on: October 13, 2009, 07:11:42 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
honestly i think most bloggers would be happy with this move. tony allen for whatever reason (ok i sort of know why) is the most hated celtics. bring in the loveable comeback story and we will all smile.

« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2009, 10:26:19 AM »

Offline gPowell

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
He has a better chance of making the team than Kevin Pittsnogle did-- but not by much.

Here's an interesting update on my favorite 'coulda been a Celtic' - KPitts

In summer 2008, Pittsnogle has placed his basketball aspirations on hold and, as of January 2009, was working as a middle school teacher and unpaid assistant high school coach. Pittsnogle's weight increased to over 300 lbs, causing most scouts to tell him he was in inappropriate shape to return to even semi-professional basketball leagues.[19] In the fall of 2008, Pittsnogle learned he had a thyroid condition that slowed his metabolism, which might be partially responsible for his weight gain. Medication played a role in his successful effort to lose 25 pounds. Currently, he lives with his wife and two children in his home town of Martinsburg.
Salmon and Mash Potatoes.
Oklahoma State Class of 2004

« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2009, 10:45:14 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
He has a better chance of making the team than Kevin Pittsnogle did-- but not by much.

In summer 2008, Pittsnogle has placed his basketball aspirations on hold and, as of January 2009, was working as a middle school teacher and unpaid assistant high school coach. Pittsnogle's weight increased to over 300 lbs, causing most scouts to tell him he was in inappropriate shape to return to even semi-professional basketball leagues.[19] In the fall of 2008, Pittsnogle learned he had a thyroid condition that slowed his metabolism, which might be partially responsible for his weight gain. Medication played a role in his successful effort to lose 25 pounds. Currently, he lives with his wife and two children in his home town of Martinsburg.

Wow. 300 lbs? :o
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2009, 11:33:50 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

Wow. 300 lbs? :o

Still smaller than Sweetney!

« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2009, 12:49:54 PM »

Offline MilwaukeeTeen

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
Him to grow 5 inches drop 50 ibs take KG's shooting power and not to mention KG, Sheed, Davis all have to have career-ending injuires and even that's not a gaurantee  :)

« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2009, 03:05:29 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
Obviously he is a big loveable guy so he is easy to root for, and maybe I am being too optimistic here, but I think that Sweets has a chance of making this team. Doc Rivers has had positive things to say about him (and its not like he is gonna get him trade value by doing so). He is still here 5 games into the preseason and he looks like he is really making an effort. Am I being foolish here? I would even say one could make an argument that he has looked as good as Shelden Williams. Personally, I would much rather have him then Tony Allen or Giddens.

« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2009, 03:42:24 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I don't necessarily disagree but the fact is we already have plenty of depth in the front court - perhaps more than necessary.  So it might be the case that Sweetney doesn't really have a fair chance at making this team, just because we don't have a lot of need at his position.

Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2009, 04:12:31 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Obviously he is a big loveable guy so he is easy to root for, and maybe I am being too optimistic here, but I think that Sweets has a chance of making this team. Doc Rivers has had positive things to say about him (and its not like he is gonna get him trade value by doing so). He is still here 5 games into the preseason and he looks like he is really making an effort. Am I being foolish here? I would even say one could make an argument that he has looked as good as Shelden Williams. Personally, I would much rather have him then Tony Allen or Giddens.

The only problem is that we would need to say bye to another player in the roster and like last year with Miles, Sweetney is the most expendable one for his contract situation. I guess you would have to waive Hudson and he is more needed in the current roster than Sweetney. Plus, Hudson and Giddens are looking good out there. The only way to keep him here would be a 2 for 1 trade with Tony Allen involved hopefully

« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2009, 04:17:40 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
As far as I'm concerned, there are two players on this team who are at least as expendable as "Sweet-Knees" ... this big guy has got some moves!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2009, 05:05:14 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
I was pretty much just saying cut Tony Allen or Giddens I guess and keep him. I think we have a much bigger concern of KG, wallace or Perk getting hurt because of history/age then our swing men. I am also more convinced that Quise could step in and provide more minutes, as could walker. Maybe I am a hater, but I am not pleased with the prospect of shelden having to step up during an injury.

« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2009, 05:35:19 AM »

Offline sweetsfor president

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
I was pretty much just saying cut Tony Allen or Giddens I guess and keep him. I think we have a much bigger concern of KG, wallace or Perk getting hurt because of history/age then our swing men. I am also more convinced that Quise could step in and provide more minutes, as could walker. Maybe I am a hater, but I am not pleased with the prospect of shelden having to step up during an injury.

I hope he makes it.

« Reply #118 on: October 15, 2009, 08:05:26 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
If Sweetney makes the roster, it would only be because the staff has decided that he's a better 5th big man than Shelden Williams. Hudson, Giddens, or Tony Allen will not be cut in his favor.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #119 on: October 15, 2009, 08:26:54 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

The only problem is that we would need to say bye to another player in the roster and like last year with Miles, Sweetney is the most expendable one for his contract situation. I guess you would have to waive Hudson and he is more needed in the current roster than Sweetney. Plus, Hudson and Giddens are looking good out there. The only way to keep him here would be a 2 for 1 trade with Tony Allen involved hopefully

Hudson's not going anywhere.