Poll

Which of these 5 games is the best game in Celtics playoff history? (highlights below)

Pierce and Toine comeback
2007 Big Three comeback
Underneath to DJ...
Bird vs. Wilkins
Suns triple overtime

Author Topic: Best Boston Celtic playoff game.  (Read 8485 times)

Re: Best Boston Celtic playoff game.
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 10:18:02 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Going against you all, but I gotta go with 2002 Game 3 against the Nets; C's came back from 24 down to START the 4th quarter.  My boys and I were at this game and I have never seen the "FleetCenter" this bumping.  Pierce jumping up on the media table and people were literally tearing tiles out of ceiling in the balcony and tossing them.

I was at the game and I had never seen the place like that.  It was incredible.  My brother and I were jumping up and down as we were walking down the stairs, giving five to random people, then seeing the streets outside going absolutely crazy.  I thought a riot was about to start.  It was crazy.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 10:18:13 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I have to say that comeback against the nets was the first year I started watching the Celtics, so I have to say that is what won my heart for the Celtics. Also the game 4 comeback against the Fakers was great just because i was at a party watching the game and everyone was ragging on me and then everyone shut up and i was extra loud with a few beers in me!

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 10:23:40 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Not hard for me to choose, since the only game of the list I've watched live was game 4 of the 2008 NBA Finals. I remember getting mad at the Celtics after their disastrous first half, thinking they were going to lose the Finals ultimately because of this game. And then they came back at the end of the 3rd quarter and I was really stressed to see if they could win the game.

I never get bored of re-watching the game over and over. Epic game, epic players, which led to the championship, so count my vote for game 4 of the 2008 NBA Finals! :)

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 10:28:59 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1633
  • What a Pub Should Be
Well, I was actually at the Nets/Celtics game so I have to go with that.  I've never seen a crowd so amped up and alive.

If I hadn't gone to that game, I'd probably choose the Triple OT thriller. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 10:45:18 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
1= triple ot vs phoenix 1976
2= game 7 vs hawks (bird vs wilkins) 1988
3= game 6 vs bucks (jabbar skyhook in 2nd ot) 1974
4= game 7 vs hawks (first title...2 ot's) 1957
5= game 2 vs bulls (2 ot's ...jordan goes for 62)...1984?
6= celts comeback vs nets

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 11:11:58 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 575
Of the ones you posted, I would have to go with the comeback agains't the Nets. Personally my favorite playoff game that I was at was game 6 in 1984. That was the game where it was over 100 degrees in the garden. While it didn't seem to bother Bird and the Celts, you could see the Lakers melt. The crowd was nuts. It was as much fun as I can remember at a game.

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 11:25:16 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
actually that was game 5....c's won that...lost game 6 in LA and then won game 7 at home.....but you're right...i didn't mind the swelter at all

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 11:35:13 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
I remember in '02 going to the arcade in the 2nd quarter cuz the Cs were getting whomped, and me and my buddy decided to make more productive use of our time.

We got back at the end of the 4th, and as the TV was warming up/turning on, I remember hearing "and with that free throw, the Celtics take their first lead of the game!" and we just looked at each other like "wow, what did we just miss here?"
God bless and good night!

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 12:45:09 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Going against you all, but I gotta go with 2002 Game 3 against the Nets; C's came back from 24 down to START the 4th quarter.  My boys and I were at this game and I have never seen the "FleetCenter" this bumping.  Pierce jumping up on the media table and people were literally tearing tiles out of ceiling in the balcony and tossing them.

It was actually 21 points, but who cares?  ;D  they did trail by 24 at one point in the 3rd.  I still watch that youtube clip every now and then, just incredible to see the Garden like that

Also, Game 7 against the Cavs in 2008 was another classic, I was there for it and it was the craziest I have ever seen that place in person.

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 02:30:58 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
For me, it's without a doubt Game 7 against the Cavs in 2008.

That was the turning point for the current Big 3 and the one game that defines Paul Pierce's career better than any other.  Had we lost in round 2 that year after that regular season blitz, the captain would have taken some serious heat.

Going toe to toe with the games best player and dropping 41 on him, and clinching the series victory on a Tommy Point play in the closing moments - it doesn't get any better than that for me. 

The Big 3 really gained their identity that night when the captain led the way.

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2009, 05:44:55 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Here's another good one.

1991 Indiana at Boston

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQpWgcUaeh4

(goosebumps EVERY time i watch this)

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2009, 02:19:25 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 575
actually that was game 5....c's won that...lost game 6 in LA and then won game 7 at home.....but you're right...i didn't mind the swelter at all

You're right. That was back in the 2-2-1-1-1 days. My bad

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2009, 07:42:45 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Great thread, but there's quite a bit more games you could put on a poll like this: 

-Game 7 in 1969 @LAL (Russell's last game)
-Game 2 in 1984 Finals (Henderson steals the ball)
-Game 4 in 1984 Finals @LAL (Bird seals OT win in HUGE game 4)
-Game 7 in 1984 Finals (Epic finish to an epic series)
-Game 5 2002 first round clincher vs. Sixers (Pierce, Walker go on 3Pt. barrage to dominate AI, Sixers)
-The ENTIRE first round from last year vs. Bulls
-Game 7 vs. Cleveland in 2008 (Pierce/LeBron = Nique/Bird part 2)

Those are off the top of my head, but solid thread.
Every one a classic.  TP for you.

Voted for the Nets game myself.  Most incredible team effort I've seen to come back from  a hole that large.  (of course the fact they allowed themselves to start that poorly p---ed me off to no end.)  I could have sworn the hole was 26 points at one point in the second quarter/early third quarter.  I consider that one to be more impressive than the 2008 comback because the 2002 team did it first and didn't have the superstars the 2008 team had (except PP). 

Second vote would go to the Bird/'Nique showdown.  Best 1-on-1 back and forth game I've ever seen.  Bird willed the team to the win.

The Bulls series last year would be right up there for best series ever. 

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2009, 07:54:16 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Here's another good one.

1991 Indiana at Boston

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQpWgcUaeh4

(goosebumps EVERY time i watch this)

So tough to choose. I opted for the 2002 comeback because we could see that we were a flawed team playing out guts out. It made it valuable to beat those Nets with arrogant players as Kidd and Martin with Toine, Kenny, Rodney, Waltah and the Obie ball. It was a huge and unexpected comeback

Of course the 08 comeback was simply incredible. I would put the 6th game also, totally destroying the Lakers at the Garden.

And that 1991 game by Bird...man, I was a teenager and it was trully epic to see Larry do another magical game (such as that 49 point in reg season vs Portland)

Great thread!

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2009, 09:25:09 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Oops....forgot another classic.....bird's first ring

Eastern conference final ga,e 7 at the Garden vs Sixers....Bird
puts C's ahead by two on a bank shot in the last minute and C's go on to beat Houston in 6