Author Topic: Can the Red Sox still pull out the division?  (Read 11265 times)

Re: Can the Red Sox still pull out the division?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 10:16:24 AM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
It depends on how many head to head games are left against the Yanks.
14 games left. 3 h2h with the Yanks. 5 games back at the moment.
Only four back in the loss column.
I think that's too big a hurdle to climb. Its not like they're chasing the Mets, the Yankees can play...

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 10:17:07 AM »

Offline rondo987

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
As far as winning the division, I definately dont think it is impossible. Say, for example the red hot redsox complete a four game sweet against the lowly royals, and the yankees lose 2 out of 3 against the angels this week, heading into the weekends 3 game series. The sox would only be 2 1/2 back going into yankee stadium. If they take 2 out of 3 to the yankeees, they would be 1 1/2 back with a week or so to play. Doesn't sound too farfetched to me, althought like many of you already said, I would probably want them to play the angels in the first round anyway, judging by their previous years success.
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, and some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."

-Paul Pierce-

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 10:20:21 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
And Francona has made it clear that he would rather have his team well positioned for the post season in terms of giving guys rest and having everybody healthy and prepared than home field. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 11:03:35 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
If they pull out the division, it will be a total collapse by the Yanks, because I don't think the Sox will be going hard after it.  My guess is they will be getting their starters extra rest over the next couple of weeks, and concentrating on getting everyone healthy, and their pitchers lined up correctly. 

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 12:25:59 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 891
Winning the division would be a longshot and in of itself may not be all that important.  Personally, I would rather play the Tigers or Twins with home field adv. and then have HFA in the ALCS but this is not where the big impact is.

I think the primary impact is that by putting pressure on the Yanks, they can't start to rest and line up pitchers.  Every extra day we make them work helps.  They are an old team with starting pitchers who have been worked hard.  I am sure they will try to rest Rivera too so the more they have to use him the better.

It will be more than just a moral victory if we can keep this going until the final weekend.

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I dont think the Yankees are very worried about winning the division.  The Sox beat them 8 in a row and then the Yankees came back and stomped us.  I dont think it will effect them. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 12:46:11 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 891
I dont think the Yankees are very worried about winning the division.  The Sox beat them 8 in a row and then the Yankees came back and stomped us.  I dont think it will effect them. 

Logically, I would argee that rest is more important to the Yankees than winning the division but I think it would definitely mess with their heads if they some how found a way to lose this.

They could say they don't care all they want but they care, they do not want to even come close to losing this.

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 12:47:20 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Logically, I would argee that rest is more important to the Yankees than winning the division but I think it would definitely mess with their heads if they some how found a way to lose this.

They could say they don't care all they want but they care, they do not want to even come close to losing this.

I dont buy it, if losing 8 straight to a rival didnt mess with their heads why would losing the division.  I think they will play their game regardless

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 01:48:24 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

While I think the rest is more important to both teams, I think the Yankees would really prefer to win the division, not just because of home field, and to choose the schedule, but more importantly because it can be a tough mental hurdle to get over, if you go into the playoffs on the type of downswing it would take for them to lose the division.  It would be an epic collapse for that to happen.

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 02:05:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

While I think the rest is more important to both teams, I think the Yankees would really prefer to win the division, not just because of home field, and to choose the schedule, but more importantly because it can be a tough mental hurdle to get over, if you go into the playoffs on the type of downswing it would take for them to lose the division.  It would be an epic collapse for that to happen.
And, on the reverse side for Boston, look what happened to Colorado after they went through that late season run to overcome a big deficit and roar into the playoffs. They went to the World Series feeding off that momentum. If the Sox could overtake the Yankees for the division the confidence and positive mental aspect of entering the playoffs like that, combined with the very real abundance of talent and experience they have(something missing in Colorado in 2007) could catapult them to the championship, regardless of who they play.

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2009, 02:17:47 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

And, on the reverse side for Boston, look what happened to Colorado after they went through that late season run to overcome a big deficit and roar into the playoffs. They went to the World Series feeding off that momentum. If the Sox could overtake the Yankees for the division the confidence and positive mental aspect of entering the playoffs like that, combined with the very real abundance of talent and experience they have(something missing in Colorado in 2007) could catapult them to the championship, regardless of who they play.

Agreed.  Although I think health, and having the pitchers lined up is still much more important for the Sox.  If they have their pitchers lined up and going well, then they can beat anyone.

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2009, 11:16:05 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1826
Our relievers are picking the perfect game to suck.

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2009, 11:29:09 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Our relievers are picking the perfect game to suck.

You would think 9 runs against the Royals would be plenty.

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2009, 02:27:55 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Really good point by Mazz today,

"2. How many starters will the Red Sox need in the first round?

The likelihood is four, though that depends on which series the Yankees select. As was the case last year, the American League team with the best record -- in this case, New York -- will have the right to choose its schedule for the first round. If the Yankees choose Series A, that series would begin Wednesday, October 7, and there would be an additional day off between Games 1 and 2. Series B begins Thursday, October 8, with no day off between Game 1 and 2.

So what’s the difference? Because of the additional off-day in Series A, the participating teams would need only three starters. In Series B, four starters are necessary unless a team opts to pitch someone on short rest. Last year, the Angels had the right to choose the series schedule and opted for Series A. Whether the Yankees would do the same remains unclear, particularly because such a decision might allow a team like the Detroit Tigers to throw ace Justin Verlander twice in the first four games.

This season, Verlander is 1-1 with a 1.29 ERA against New York. Allowing him to pitch two of the first four games of a series -- any series -- might be risky. As such, there is a chance the Sox would need only three starters in the first round, in which case Lester and Beckett would each get to pitch twice in a five-game series."

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2009, 03:42:19 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
No, the Red Sox will have to settle for the wild card.

But the Yankees are vulnerable in the playoffs.  Neither Burnett nor Chamberlain has had a good outing for at least a month, and Sabathia can't do it all by himself. Their bullpen is deep and solid, though.

Moving Chamberlain into the rotation has been a disaster.  The Yankees turned a dominating setup man into a very mediocre starter who can't go more than three innings.