C - needs improvement in a number of areas
3 (5.4%)
D - not so good
2 (3.6%)
F - you've failed
2 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: October 04, 2009, 08:27:55 PM

Author Topic: How's our driving? (CelticsBlog)  (Read 38797 times)

Re: How's our driving? (CelticsBlog)
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 04:55:56 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Just giving people an open forum to honestly discuss how we are doing as a staff here at CelticsBlog.  How would you grade us?  What areas are we doing well in?  What areas do we need to improve?  Thanks.

jeff. you and the mods are outstanding and i appreciate all the hard work and fun you put into cb.

i have taught at a university for many years and while the vast majority of student comments are positive, it is always the few negative ones that stick in my mind. that is silly of me and i have learned that i am not out to please everyone and should not be.

same here at cb. in a place based upon exchanges of opinions and ideas such as cb, you can not and should not try to "please" everyone.

thanks again, and if something by a poster irks you, i suggest you go out, buy some rochforte 10 beer, and then drink it at room tempature. it wont make the downside of cb go away, but you really wont give a [dang] about it for a while.

:D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 05:29:27 PM »

Offline Poseidon

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • Ray Allen είναι ο άνθρωπος.
Does anyone who voted F care to share why? The only way the staff can fix it is if they know what's wrong.
"I could justify it all day long if I wanted to, but the truth is, I locked it because I wanted to."- Jeff

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 09:08:40 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i gave it a C overall.  however, i give hobbsy an A+.

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 09:19:10 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Does anyone who voted F care to share why? The only way the staff can fix it is if they know what's wrong.

I waited tables at a pretty nice restaurant for a long, long time.  There was this one couple who came in fairly regularly to eat and I waited on them probably a dozen times over the years.

Not once was there meal prepared correctly, or delivered when they wanted it.

It always puzzled me why - if they were so dissatisfied with the place - did they continue to dine there.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 09:32:37 PM by Redz »
Yup

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 09:24:31 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

I waited tables at a pretty nice restaurant for a long, long time.  These was this one couple who came in fairly regularly to eat and I waited on them probably a dozen times over the years.

It always puzzled me why - if they were so dissatisfied with the place - did they continue to dine there.

playing devils advocate.....maybe, when compared to other restaurants in the area, it was the best...even if they were never fully content with the service

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 09:31:10 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

I waited tables at a pretty nice restaurant for a long, long time.  These was this one couple who came in fairly regularly to eat and I waited on them probably a dozen times over the years.

playing devils advocate.....maybe, when compared to other restaurants in the area, it was the best...even if they were never fully content with the service

lol, i hear what you're saying...while there is no direct correlation to our CB experience here, I can safely say that these people were just miserable and manipulative (and there were plenty of nice restaurants around in that case)...to this day I think I would immediately be ticked off if I bumped into that couple in public.  In 15 plus years working in the service industry they were the only people I ever refused to serve.  Nasty.

But back to rating CB, I digress...
Yup

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009, 10:58:48 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
oh, make no mistake, I know we can't please everyone - that ship sailed 5 years ago

no worries, my team ego is much too large to deflate with a few sour apples
 ;D
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 10:28:50 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think some of the recent explanations have helped like "I closed it cause I wanted to". 

Also I am beginning to think that it is somewhat inevitable that a lot of "young" posters (new to CB, not necessarily agewise) will at some point get offended for some percieved slight like they think they've been called out or shot down, or they got a thread locked or whatnot, and then they argue that there's some sort of double standard and that they're being censored, and then they start seeing what they want to see, and test the envelope and need to let go and take the good with the bad.

One thing I'm trying to figure out is that there have been some heated as heck discussions in the current events area but nothing is getting locked and there's not even lots of warnings.  But some other complainingish threads and some sort of draft that I almost know nothing about did, and I'm amazed at the restraint in current events because it's allowing for some very in depth discussions, but some other places are sort of sensitive areas, and I wonder what the difference is. Sometimes I think a person could get a little more in trouble just cause wrong time/wrong place. Like if they say "He's a clown" in a causual discussion about Obama he'll get in trouble, but if they say the same thing in a heated discussion about Iverson they won't even though you can't call anyone a clown except Redz.  Whatever, that's splitting hairs

I admit sometimes there are some threads I'm nervous about starting cause of the potential for locking and I don't want the stigma with that. Like maybe "How do you feel about the cheerleaders". It could lead to comments about their attractiveness which is against the rules. Once Roy opened an Israel thread which I'd never have the guts to do. Not saying I would otherwise. 

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I just got rear ended, you massachusetts folk need to learn to drive.

lol  ;D

Seriously, man.. Driving in Boston was the scariest thing I ever did in my life. I refuse to drive there now whenever I'm in the area.

i could see why its intimidating to some...but im so used to it.  in a way, it has made me a better driver, lol.

Agreed. I drove as a young driver in Philly, NYC, and north Jersey. Horrifying. I don't have lots of Boston experience, but still

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2009, 10:36:44 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I think Rondo and PP drive to the hoop pretty well. Ray is Ok and I'm sure Marquis will be fine. Tony is still behind the ball.

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2009, 11:00:48 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!

I waited tables at a pretty nice restaurant for a long, long time.  There was this one couple who came in fairly regularly to eat and I waited on them probably a dozen times over the years.

Maybe they loved the food and everything about it but they felt if they complained enough they might get their dinner free or discounted for the problems they complained about.   

As far as CB is concerned.  I think Jeff has done a wonderful job providing a safe and family friendly place for Celtics fans to gather and share their love of the team (and everything else too). 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 11:06:45 AM by FLCeltsFan »

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2009, 11:14:38 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I gave a C, but on a closer reading I think I should have picked B

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2009, 11:25:45 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I think some of the recent explanations have helped like "I closed it cause I wanted to". 

Also I am beginning to think that it is somewhat inevitable that a lot of "young" posters (new to CB, not necessarily agewise) will at some point get offended for some percieved slight like they think they've been called out or shot down, or they got a thread locked or whatnot, and then they argue that there's some sort of double standard and that they're being censored, and then they start seeing what they want to see, and test the envelope and need to let go and take the good with the bad.

One thing I'm trying to figure out is that there have been some heated as heck discussions in the current events area but nothing is getting locked and there's not even lots of warnings.  But some other complainingish threads and some sort of draft that I almost know nothing about did, and I'm amazed at the restraint in current events because it's allowing for some very in depth discussions, but some other places are sort of sensitive areas, and I wonder what the difference is. Sometimes I think a person could get a little more in trouble just cause wrong time/wrong place. Like if they say "He's a clown" in a causual discussion about Obama he'll get in trouble, but if they say the same thing in a heated discussion about Iverson they won't even though you can't call anyone a clown except Redz.  Whatever, that's splitting hairs

I admit sometimes there are some threads I'm nervous about starting cause of the potential for locking and I don't want the stigma with that. Like maybe "How do you feel about the cheerleaders". It could lead to comments about their attractiveness which is against the rules. Once Roy opened an Israel thread which I'd never have the guts to do. Not saying I would otherwise. 

clowns have feelings too you know  ;)
Yup

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2009, 11:32:34 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

clowns have feelings too you know  ;)

not trying to single u out here redz, but this thread is designed to talk about the opinions and observations that posters may have with the staff.  eja made a post in which he sees as a weakness in the blog.  bc of the type of thread jeff has created here, shouldnt his post be addressed, rather than making light of small part of it (and i did get a kick out of the response, clowns do have feelings  ;)).  even if you think his post is way off and is not an issue.....i think the best response would be, "thanks for the input, we will watch/discuss it further". it will make him feel supported and as if he opinion did matter to the staff.

just my two cents.  although im using your post as an example, im not trying to single u out.

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2009, 11:37:58 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I'm going to slightly expand on something I said earlier.

Let's just say that Roy opens a "How do you feel about legalizing PEDs" thread or something.  I doubt he'd do it, but there is a ban on legalization threads and explosive topics and I think Israel is up there with racism and abortion.

So guys start arguing about it and they get warnings. But the thread probably doesn't get locked. I feel a little like those guys got lured in and trapped.

I start the same thread. Same thing happens, but it does get locked and I get warned for starting an explosive thread.

I can see that happening, but this is the thing. That pretty much never happens. First I think the mods do self mod somewhat.  Second if anyone would be warned about conduct in the current events area it would be me and so far I'm clean. Third, there has been considerable freedom in there and other places.  People have been all over Brett Farve and no warnings. People have made fun of Pitino's horrid problems and no warnings. No warnings here. There are so many places warnings aren't happening I'm not sure why people are focused on where they are.

It's really just the FEAR that could happen or maybe even the perception, but I think perception is rarely reality, and I'm not for locking threads anyway so why would I ever be upset if a mod's thread doesn't get locked? I wouldn't. Heck Jeff locked two of his own threads lately.

Maybe the mods feel 15% more secure about what they do here. Well that's the point. That's why their mods. People with 10000 posts, 2000 TPs and that work hard on a board for no money probably should feel more secure.

If you think Mods are going out of their way to intentionally break rules or something you're out of your mind.  I've never seen so many "How are we doing" threads.

One time I think I posted something that REALLY got taken the wrong way where I said "Why do you care what others think"? cause I think sometimes the mods worry too much. Well they just do. There's like 10000 posters here and 9 of them. They're outnumbered and surrounded. I'd be more skitish than they are