Author Topic: Rubio to stay in Spain  (Read 2542 times)

Rubio to stay in Spain
« on: August 26, 2009, 09:02:37 AM »

Offline Markeras

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11
It was just announced that Barcelona will buy Ricky out of his club for 3.7M € (5.3M $). It seems that after the 2nd year the "escape" clause would be somewhat affordable. News can be found here in case anyone is interested: http://www.sport.es/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=44&idioma=CAS&idnoticia_PK=640014&idseccio_PK=808 .

I have a feeling he will never end up playing for the Wolves...

P.S. It is not official yet, pending confirmation from his club. Nevertheless, it is reported in Spain as a done deal.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 09:11:22 AM by Markeras »

Re: Rubio to stay in Spain
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 09:12:46 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
It was just announced that Barcelona will buy Ricky out of his club for 3.7M € (5.3M $). It seems that after the 2nd year the "escape" clause would be somewhat affordable. News can be found here in case anyone is interested: http://www.sport.es/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=44&idioma=CAS&idnoticia_PK=640014&idseccio_PK=808 .

I have a feeling he will never end up playing for the Wolves...

P.S. It is not official yet, pending confirmation from his club. Nevertheless, it is reported in Spain as a done deal.

I am sorry to hear he won't be coming to the NBA this year.

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 09:23:34 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The way contracts work in sports in Europe seem a bit ridiculous. How does a buyout end up costing more than the value of the contract? If the player is worth that much, you would think that they would get paid accordingly.

Seems a bit predatory.

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 09:34:14 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
The way contracts work in sports in Europe seem a bit ridiculous. How does a buyout end up costing more than the value of the contract? If the player is worth that much, you would think that they would get paid accordingly.

Seems a bit predatory.
Instead of trading players for other players, they're sold for money straight up. Its not all the different than what happens in American sports in my mind.

How was KG not traded in part for money? The expiring contract of Ratliff saved Minnesota 40+ million dollars.

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 09:44:28 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159

Seems a bit predatory.
Instead of trading players for other players, they're sold for money straight up. Its not all the different than what happens in American sports in my mind.

How was KG not traded in part for money? The expiring contract of Ratliff saved Minnesota 40+ million dollars.

That's a bit of an exaggeration isn't it? How could an expiring $11 million dollar contract save a team $40 millions?

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 09:50:25 AM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
i followed the link but my espanol is rusty. i really wish i had paid attention in spanish class. the only thing they tried to teach me that really could've been useful!

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 09:51:22 AM »

Offline Markeras

• Xavier Tillman

Seems a bit predatory.

It's always been like this in Europe as far as I remember, especially in Spain, one of the few countries where players actually do have buyout clauses in basketball and football. Elsewhere players normally do not even have these clauses, so if a team president were to not allow his player to leave, the player won't leave. That's one reason why teams are paying 50, 60, 70, 100M $ for football players - who don't have buyout clauses - these days...

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 09:56:19 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Seems a bit predatory.

That's a bit of an exaggeration isn't it? How could an expiring $11 million dollar contract save a team $40 millions?
Kevin Garnett's Salary in 2007-2008 22 million, in 2008-2009 24 million.

So that's 46 million in salary they didn't have to pay to Kevin. Now Al Jeferson and Gomes remain on their team. That takes away some of the savings, but if you consider they'd be in the luxury tax with Garnett the deal easily saved Minnesota 40 million dollars in real money terms.

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 10:04:04 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Seems a bit predatory.

Depends on how much future money they owed KG.

They sell players instead of making trades, so the sale price is based on the worth of the player. Rubio's on the equivalent of a rookie contract. If the Celts were to trade for Durant they'd have to trade based on his talent and not based on his salary. In other words, not all $4M players are worth the same in trade, so not all $4M euro players are worth the same when you buy their contracts.

Rubio (or more likely his agent) handled the draft like an idiot. He makes noise about not wanting to come over to the US unless he's on certain teams (which was probably a bluff since he seemed amenable to coming to Minnny), causing a fall in the draft into salary slots that make coming to the US impossible. If he'd been drafted 2nd or 3rd he could probably have afforded the buyout.

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 10:06:10 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Can someone translate to English?  If he's getting bought out in Spain, why is he remaining in Spain?  I'm confused
God bless and good night!

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 10:09:05 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Can someone translate to English?  If he's getting bought out in Spain, why is he remaining in Spain?  I'm confused
Another Spainish team is buying out his deal.

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 10:10:07 AM »

Offline Markeras

• Xavier Tillman
Another Spainish team is buying out his deal.

It's on realgm.com by now... http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/61305/20090826/rubio_agrees_to_terms_with_barcelona_team/