Author Topic: Williams Expected To Sign With Orlando  (Read 3889 times)

Williams Expected To Sign With Orlando
« on: August 19, 2009, 03:20:52 PM »

Offline laverdad34

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
Via RealGM.com

The Orlando Magic will sign Jason Williams in the coming days, according to a source that spoke with RealGM's Alex Kennedy.

Williams, who worked out for the Magic on Tuesday, resides in Orlando with his family and will return after retiring shortly before the 08-09 season.

The Memphis Grizzlies and New York Knicks have also expressed interest in Williams.

Williams has averaged 11.4 points and 6.3 assists over the course of his ten-year career.

OK. Another PG who we won't see on green jersey.

that's good or bad??

Re: Williams Expected To Sign With Orlando
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 03:35:27 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
Not good. I guess we'll get Marbury or Lue.

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 03:37:20 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think this is basically irrelevant.  Is Williams any better than Anthony Johnson?

Johnson hasn't played in a year, and battled injury problems before that.  At his workout in Memphis, he looked terrible.  I don't think this is a big loss for our team, or a big gain for Orlando.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 03:48:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Signing with a team and playing for a team are two different things. Let's see if the contract is even guaranteed and whether he makes the club or not before assuming he'll be playing for the Magic this year.

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 04:06:17 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Not a big deal, I just wish we had the back up PG already, the numbers are shrinking.

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 04:24:12 PM »

Offline DoubleDip

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 04:28:12 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think this is basically irrelevant.  Is Williams any better than Anthony Johnson?

Johnson hasn't played in a year, and battled injury problems before that.  At his workout in Memphis, he looked terrible.  I don't think this is a big loss for our team, or a big gain for Orlando.

Agreed.  And I also think we are looking for our 3rd string PG at best right now (since there is no one good enough to unseat House available), and I don't know if Williams has the mindframe to be a 3rd stringer.

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 04:30:02 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I actually think Danny is serious about not being concerned about a 3rd point right now. I think we will sign another wing like Udoka or Pavlovic, get the Daniels deal done and call it an offseason. We'll see if Hudson can make the team in camp and if it is obvious we desperately need a back-up point, we'll make an in-season move. Just my read. I think we would have at least tried for Williams if we were interested in another point..

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 04:43:25 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 734
  • MASTER OF PANIC
it is obvious that eddie and daniels will run the back up point while giddens and tony play the 2

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 04:49:34 PM »

Offline NeedForSheed

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Beetle Juice is not happy

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 04:51:01 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 04:59:39 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Unless an injury hits rondo I don't think its a big deal at all.  We have a young stud of a starting pg.  To back him up good veteran who can get the job done just cannot bring the ball over midcourt that well with pressure (hey eddie work on this for the off season !).  Then Daniels and also Ray Allen can easily bring the ball up if needed (no paul).  How many minutes are we thinking the 3rd string pg is going to get??  Not to mention young gun Hudson in the background. 
I think we also have the option of giving walker/giddens/t allen some playing time and making a trade later on.

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 05:16:07 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Jason Williams could be a nice pickup for Orlando. I know he hasn't played in a year but he will have training camp under his belt and could help them. Anyway Orlando's got Anthony Johnson too so they are stacked at the PG position but I don't make a big deal out of this signing.

It's almost obvious that Danny won't sign a PG. He will probably sign Hudson and be done with the backup PG.

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 05:25:12 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 734
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i think it was a defensive signing to keep him away from other teams like boston...and maybe they are still worried about nelson's health

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 05:37:33 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Is it just me, or is this Orlando team going to look completely different without Hedo, Lee, et al?

I just don't see Vinsanity and Jason Williams being a step in the right direction. Viva La Celtics!