Author Topic: Joe Smith signs with Atlanta  (Read 2692 times)

Joe Smith signs with Atlanta
« on: August 15, 2009, 01:53:47 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1820
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4400517

Interesting, I thought the Cavs were going to do a push for him. And for the vet. min... A bit wierd if you ask me.

Re: Joe Smith signs with Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 02:03:25 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Odd.  What's he supposed to do, boost them from the first to second round?  Don't really see the point. 

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 02:22:44 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1820
No? I think it's quite a good deal for Atlanta. They have a ton of roster space to fill and need quite a bit of big man depth. They got a quite a decent player for cheap... don't see what's not to like about this for Atlanta. I'm surprised the Cavs did offer him a bit more than the min. though. They're deep in tax land so that surely played a big hand in it, but I thought a 2 million deal was a solid offer they could've made.

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 02:24:23 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Good signing by the Hawks.

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 02:30:59 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Everytime a good player is signed by someone other than Cleveland, LA, and Orlando its good for us.

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 03:58:59 AM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
"After weighing all of his options, Joe Smith decided that Atlanta was his best chance of winning a championship this coming season." *Sarcasm, obviously*

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 04:38:09 AM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
Good deal for the Hawks, Bad deal for Joe Smith. I think he could have gone to a better team for the same price. The Hawks will be his 10th different NBA team. Maybe he wants the record?

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 07:13:17 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
Adding Joe Smith to your frontcourt can never hurt.  I think this was a very positive thing for the Hawks who will be better than most people dismiss them to be.  They're not gonna compete for a championship, but they will be good.

I think he should have gone to the Spurs.  He would have been the first big off the bench.

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 07:16:20 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Adding Joe Smith to your frontcourt can never hurt.  I think this was a very positive thing for the Hawks who will be better than most people dismiss them to be.  They're not gonna compete for a championship, but they will be good.

I think Joe figures he will get decent playing time (which he wouldn't have in Cleveland) and would maybe be able to parlay that into a final contract next offseason.  Also, who knows, maybe he was a bit peeved that Cleveland signed a player who will spend most of the year on the injured list (Powe) before him.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 09:21:21 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
Excellent signing for the Hawks ... I'm surprised by the lack of league-wide interest in Joe Smith. He could have helped a whole bunch of teams.

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 02:37:04 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
"After weighing all of his options, Joe Smith decided that Atlanta was his best chance of winning a championship this coming season." *Sarcasm, obviously*

Ha ha, nice one, TP. ;D

Goog signing for the Hawks though, especially for this price.

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 09:44:06 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Excellent signing for the Hawks ... I'm surprised by the lack of league-wide interest in Joe Smith. He could have helped a whole bunch of teams.
He didn't look all that good in Cleveland.

Still I can't help but think I'd rather have him over Shelden. Playing time was likely something he sought out though.