Author Topic: Otis Smith (Orlando GM) disses Turkuglu  (Read 1573 times)

Otis Smith (Orlando GM) disses Turkuglu
« on: August 13, 2009, 09:39:30 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
After Hedo Turkoglu backed out of a verbal agreement with Portland in order to sign with the Raptors, many felt the Blazers let a top player slip away.

But Orlando Magic general manager Otis Smith didn't agree.

In a conversation with Blazers' general manager Kevin Pritchard, Smith told Pritchard that he had "caught a break" with Turkoglu signing elsewhere and made it clear the Blazers "weren't missing out on anything," sources tell RealGM's Alex Kennedy.

Link.

That's interesting, for several reasons:

1) Smith is dissing a former player, which is generally a no-no;

2) Somehow, the conversation between Smith and Pritchard was leaked to the media, which would seemingly be a no-no;

3) It sheds light on why Orlando let Turkuglu walk, as they apparently think his skill set is overrated.

I've been a big, big Turkuglu fan, so it's interesting to hear something like this leaked.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Otis Smith (Orlando GM) disses Turkuglu
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 09:56:03 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
There wasn't anything from Orlando that would have suggested these types of feelings last year.  However, I think that team helped Hedo play to his strengths and that he probably won't be as good as he was in Orlando again.

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 10:30:18 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
I too think Portland is lucky that he didn't end up signing there.  I think there much better off saving their money and seeing what's available in next years big free agency.

I like where they are at.  Young and talented, picked up a very good point guard in Andre Miller.  I think they are going to be very good this year (better than last year,) and be in a good position to another young superstar before the start of the next season.

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 10:40:28 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Are you kidding?  Smith's comment is sour grapes because Hedo spurned the Magic.

Portland would be far, far better off had it been able to acquire Hedo instead of Andre ("let me use the ball to pound a hole in the floor") Miller.

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 11:37:15 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
I dunno, I think you only sign Hedo if you think he puts you over the top.  I don't think Portland with Hedo is good enough to beat the Spurs or Lakers.  If you're Portland, you are young and talented.  I say you wait for an off-season where you can pursue one of the superstars.

Next year Portland projects to have only $44 mill committed to a pretty dynamic core (Miller, Przybilla, Oden, Aldridge, Webster, Roy, Bayless, Fernandez, and Batum - the last three are all team options and can amount to them being an additional 5 mill under the cap.)

If you are a super star I think they become a very interesting option.  They could offer a max contract to Bosh, Wade, even Lebron though its unlikely he would go there.  But the pool will be much deeper and have better players to offer than Hedo.  That's all I'm saying...