Author Topic: Powe Wants Revenge  (Read 8308 times)

Re: Powe Wants Revenge
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 01:04:44 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
This story of revenge doesn't sound like Leon and I don't know if it's true or if Sheridan is making stuff but if it were to be true I couldn't blame Powe for seeking revenge since he was thrown out of Beantown by Danny without any consideration (except the "you can rehab in our facility" speech).

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 01:07:52 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Makes a lot of sense for Leon to sign in Cleveland versus some of the other places.  He'll get on a national stage quite a bit.  Competing with Sideshow Bob for minutes; if/when he's healthy, he should find himself on the court.  Should have an opportunity to shine playing off from LeBron, you know that Leon's defender will be cheating a lot.  

Selfishly for him, it's going to get himself a lot of national publicity when Boston plays Cleveland, a lot more than if he were toiling away as 8th man on Miami's or Dallas' bench.  This will be a storyline in the big media; people will know his name.

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 01:08:10 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1820
I think Powe's good nature has been romanticized by us Celtics' fans quite a bit. For example, last season whenever a team was complaining about Celtic player antics, about showboating and making themselves as if they were above others because they were champs, Powe's name was thrown around quite often. In fact, in many of the squabbles we had during the season, he was at the center of it.

Not saying this is particularly a bad thing, but Powe is not "above seeking revenge" or things of that nature.

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009, 01:10:45 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Aaron Goodwin strikes again. I swear to god this guy has had it out for the C's ever since the Vin Baker episode. I can completely see this guy pitching Leon to every other contender in the league just to get back at at the Celtics. This guy doesn't give a [dang] about his client's health, he's just in it for his ego. I'll bet he didn't even talk to any non-contenders about Powe..

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 01:18:11 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Even if leon is 100% healthy, he won't be able to do much against KG/Sheed/Perk/BBD. The one advantage they have is Leon playing under Doc for 3 seasons. He can help them game plan against us. I'm sure Doc will make the appropriate adjustments.

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 02:55:10 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I pretty much started cheering in my living when Leon Powe came into the game.  Now I can't do that.
I have no sour feelings for Powe, I'm glad he signed somewhere.  I truly do think Ainge deserves some blame though for not offering him the minimum first.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 05:36:05 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Aaron Goodwin strikes again. I swear to god this guy has had it out for the C's ever since the Vin Baker episode. I can completely see this guy pitching Leon to every other contender in the league just to get back at at the Celtics. This guy doesn't give a [dang] about his client's health, he's just in it for his ego. I'll bet he didn't even talk to any non-contenders about Powe..

If a non-contender was going to give Powe more money, I'm sure his agent would have tried to sell him on it because he would make more money too.  The agent isn't going to go against what Leon wants just so the agent can back at the Celtics.  Besides, Leon employs the agent so the agent ultimately does what Powe wants.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 05:53:39 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I think Powe's good nature has been romanticized by us Celtics' fans quite a bit. For example, last season whenever a team was complaining about Celtic player antics, about showboating and making themselves as if they were above others because they were champs, Powe's name was thrown around quite often. In fact, in many of the squabbles we had during the season, he was at the center of it.

?  Do you have any examples?  I don't remember Powe really being in the middle of anything.  I can't even remember seeing him talk trash or pose. 

But good for Leon - it's great to see him get another chance no matter who it's with.  I'd hate to see a guy like that have his career derailed by his body betraying him.  But I'm not scared of Leon this year; after all he is coming back from microfracture AND ACL reconstruction.  He's a hard worker, but he'll be lucky if he can jump over a piece of toast by next summer.

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2009, 06:33:29 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

?  Do you have any examples?  I don't remember Powe really being in the middle of anything.  I can't even remember seeing him talk trash or pose. 

But good for Leon - it's great to see him get another chance no matter who it's with.  I'd hate to see a guy like that have his career derailed by his body betraying him.  But I'm not scared of Leon this year; after all he is coming back from microfracture AND ACL reconstruction.  He's a hard worker, but he'll be lucky if he can jump over a piece of toast by next summer.

Can't really come up with some examples right now, it'll be really tough to do. I remember Q Rich. making mention of it, but when he said it I thought he was full of crap... but he wasn't the only one alluding to it throughout the year. He got caught in quite a few pushing and shoving instances throughout the season too.

But listen, I don't care about any of this things... I'm just putting it  into perspective that Powe may not be above some revenge scenario just because he seems like the good altar boy since he does right by his family and community. He's capable of pushing back, of aggression when he feels offended, and of trash talking (even if some of those taunts are a bit in the jackass department).

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2009, 06:37:27 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Can't really come up with some examples right now, it'll be really tough to do. I remember Q Rich. making mention of it, but when he said it I thought he was full of crap... but he wasn't the only one alluding to it throughout the year. He got caught in quite a few pushing and shoving instances throughout the season too.

But listen, I don't care about any of this things... I'm just putting it  into perspective that Powe may not be above some revenge scenario just because he seems like the good altar boy since he does right by his family and community. He's capable of pushing back, of aggression when he feels offended, and of trash talking (even if some of those taunts are a bit in the jackass department).

Absolutely - an athlete who's not competitive to the point of neurosis is usually an athlete without a job.  I don't doubt Powe took it very personally that he busted his butt for us and basically got dropped.  Teams that pass on you in the draft and the first team you part ways with set off NBA players like nothing else.  He wants a piece of us, no doubt.  I just couldn't remember him being in the middle of anything last year.

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2009, 06:51:13 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Absolutely - an athlete who's not competitive to the point of neurosis is usually an athlete without a job.  I don't doubt Powe took it very personally that he busted his butt for us and basically got dropped.  Teams that pass on you in the draft and the first team to not resign/trade you set off NBA players like nothing else.  He wants a piece of us, no doubt.  I just couldn't remember him being in the middle of anything last year.

Well I don't remember any big altercation or anything myself, nor did I meant it to sound that way. Just a lot of pushing and shoving, which again I don't really care about... it was just kept at that. It was like he was channeling Perk and people were going at him for whatever reason and he didn't shy away.

Just to put it into perspective, he got 4 techs last year. He had never had a technical before that from what I can see.

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2009, 07:02:22 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
Later Powe have fun getting swept in the eastern conference finals while you ride the pine...
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2009, 07:04:31 PM »

Offline NeedForSheed

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
I don't think it's fair to say comments against Powe. The Celtics didn't want him. He was hurt. And now has moved on just like he did in Boston has to prove people wrong.

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2009, 07:44:29 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
A lot of teams hated the C's last year. I definitely saw that watching the games.

I think its natural of both sides in a parting like this to be a bit bitter.

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2009, 08:41:13 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Powe can have his revenge next to the watercooler where he'll be as Shaq, Big Z, and Varejo all the minutes at the 4/5 spots.  That is if he even comes back next year.