Author Topic: When was the last time you cried?  (Read 12925 times)

When was the last time you cried?
« on: August 10, 2009, 05:20:46 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Male pride, cold-heartedness, foolish social upbringing are all reasons men tend not to cry. Or is that just a myth? Do men cry when they're alone, refusing to let someone see them? What triggers male emotions? A relationship? A sad movie? Family or friends?

What forces men to explore new emotional territory?

Basically, a friend of mine cried at the end of Armageddon (and Gladiator and various other movies) and I asked him why he's so emotional. I didn't get it. He asked me when the last time I cried was and I didn't know. I've been emotional, but I keep it in. Bad character trait it may be, but I can't help that and I don't know why. It's a façade. I can't show weakness, especially when people around me need me or need a headstrong character nearby.

So when was the last time you cried? Are you a "big softy" or too much "of a man" to let your emotions out? My prediction is this thread wont have legs soon because a lot of "tough guys" wont have anything to say or will ignore it. I probably would too. And I don't know why.

Re: When was the last time you cried?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 05:27:15 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Not much in life makes me cry, but movies do. I am prone to tearing up in powerful movies because I allow myself to get emotionally engaged in the movie to fully enjoy it.

I don't see this as good or bad. I personally feel I get more from movies (in particular good dramas) because I allow myself to be so engaged emotionally, but I don't assume this shows any more 'emotional maturity' than those who remain stoic. Perhaps it shows my ability for empathy.

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 05:27:28 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
2nd anniversary of my mom's passing (about a month ago)
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 05:27:42 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I'll throw one out here that most dad's will relate to. It was when I was holding my newborn little girl in my arms for the first time. Tough not to be emotional then even for a person who grew up in a family where boys just didn't cry...

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 05:27:43 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Interesting question.  My eyes got pretty watery a few weeks ago, when I was watching a play that had a scene that reminded me of my mother's death.  It wasn't a full-on "cry", but it was definitely a show of emotion.

As an adult, I think the only times I've had a "full cry" were when my mother died, and once after a breakup of my engagement to an ex.  I've since become much more callous towards relationship matters, but my mom is still a soft-spot.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 05:28:01 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
I've cried a few times since my dad passed in April thinking about it. When I was younger the sight of a kid crying in a movie had the potential to bring tears, but after my first yr teaching I got over the whole kid crying thing.

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 05:28:33 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
To cdif, JR, and others who have lost family members, my heartfelt condolences.  I'm not sure words can express how difficult it is to deal with family loss.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 05:29:52 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
During De'Angelo Barksdale's speech at the end of season 1 of The Wire

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 05:30:03 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
I've cried a few times since my dad passed in April thinking about it. When I was younger the sight of a kid crying in a movie had the potential to bring tears, but after my first yr teaching I got over the whole kid crying thing.

I always want to cry when a kid in my class is crying (esp. if its for legitimate reasons, not like they got a B+ and thought they should get an A), but holding that back is definitely necessary

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 05:34:45 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
To cdif, JR, and others who have lost family members, my heartfelt condolences.  I'm not sure words can express how difficult it is to deal with family loss.

thanks Roy, same sentiments back to you

one of my good friends just got married, her father died 4 or 5 years ago, she walked the aisle alone - after the vows, the walk away song was the Flaming Lips "Do You Realize" - (one of the key lines is "do you realize, everyone you know someday will die, and instead of saying all of your goodbyes, let them know you realize that life goes fast, its hard to make a good thing last) - very emotional

Bruce Springstein's song Atlantic City gets me too - (especially when performed by Hank Williams III) - "everybody dies, honey that's a fact, but maybe everything that dies, someday comes back"

but yes, death is a part of life, and easily the hardest part of it

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 05:38:31 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"

I'd like to echo these sentiments to cdif, jr and to Roy. I can't imagine how painful this could be.

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 05:41:50 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
This certainly isn't anywhere near as important as what the other posters said, but my eyes got a little watery when Pierce came back in the finals after exiting in the wheel chair. What a moment!

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 05:45:25 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
The old man in Big Fish reminds me of my Dad with all his exagerrated stories.  It was on the other day and my little girl saw me with tears running down my face when the son finishes his dad's final story. Don't know why that gets me everytime, but it does.

Now that I've shared that, I need to spit, scratch myself and go and punch someone.

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 05:52:59 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Yesterday when the GF left to go back to NY to finish with her last semester after a summer together.  I was cool untill it actually came to saying the words, "good bye."
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 05:57:53 PM »

Offline SSFan 6.33

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 29
I find myself getting choked up all the time -- especially since I've had my kids.  Anything kid related -- bingo.

Both my parents are in their late 60's and I well up thinking about the sacrifices they've made for the family and of them not being with us sometime in the upcoming years.

Thinking about my grandparents also gets me, as did the wake that I attended two weeks ago.

The scene in Field of Dreams where Ray meets his dad -- gets me every single time, despite seeing it perhaps a hundred times.

Still a sap for my kids -