Author Topic: 25 Greatest Celtics of All-Time : #15  (Read 15731 times)

Re: 25 Greatest Celtics of All-Time : #15
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2009, 09:11:22 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
kc jones? ::)

KC Jones was an integral part of, what, eight championship teams as a player (or something like that) and two more as a coach.  For his place in team history, I think he deserves a nod.
he wasn't the best coach in the wold
tommy was a great coach, great player and a "special" broadcaster
kc was fair as coach,you could argue he shortened every one of the big 3 careers with overplaying and as a player he was a good defender and role player
again why isn't dj in the hof when kc is?
not to say kc won't be getting votes from me for top 25 just thought it was odd someone put kc down 3 times

« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

KC Jones was an integral part of, what, eight championship teams as a player (or something like that) and two more as a coach.  For his place in team history, I think he deserves a nod.
kc was fair as coach,you could argue he shortened every one of the big 3 careers with overplaying and as a player he was a good defender and role player
not to say kc won't be getting votes from me for top 25 just thought it was odd someone put kc down 3 times

Ten Celtic Rings should get you in the top 15.

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2009, 10:41:31 PM »

Offline Lou Tsioropoulos

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
1)Frank Ramsey
2)KC Jones

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2009, 10:47:03 PM »

Offline Lou Tsioropoulos

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
3)Tom Sanders

« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2009, 11:54:51 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
After playing a year and a half, I have a hard time accepting KG as one of the 15 best / most influential Celtics of all-time.

Anyway,

Ed Macauley
Danny Ainge
K.C. Jones

well he promisse 2 more crowns....

REggie
Danny
K.C.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2009, 04:19:40 AM »

Offline wild

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
Paul Silas
Danny Ainge
Reggie Lewis
Get that 18th banner ready!

« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2009, 07:04:33 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

Ten Celtic Rings should get you in the top 15.
normally you'd think yes but this team has had so many greats
we are at 15 now and think of who hasn't made the list yet
sam jones by the way should have been higher

« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2009, 08:16:13 AM »

Offline gustusias

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 41
Russell, Cousy, Heinsohn, Bird, Sam Jones, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Kevin McHale, Dave Cowens, John Havliceck, Jojo White, Paul Silas, Bill Walton, Bailey Howell,Tiny Archibald, Cedric Maxwell, Reggie Lewis, Ray Allen, Robert Parrish, Charlie Scott, Tom Sanders, Bill Sharman, Rajon Rondo, Kendrick Perkins, KC Jones.

In no particular order and as I remember them all from the top of my head.

« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2009, 08:40:39 AM »

Offline laverdad34

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
1)Cedric Maxwell
2)Nate Archibald
3)Reggie Lewis

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2009, 01:24:03 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
Wow, this is a tight race between Max, Reggie and KC, with Macauley and Ramsey a good bit behind. The rest of these spots will be very close I think.

And looking at the past votes, Russell and Bird were clear choices, Havlicek won pretty easily over Cooz (I would've thought Cousy would be third), who won pretty easily over the rest of the pack at fourth. But there was a tight bunch at 5 through 8 of McHale, Tommy, Pierce and Cowens (I'm surprised Sam Jones wasn't in that bunch, but there was clear separation between those 4 and Sam - Cowens got 90% of the votes for 8th over Sam). Sam was clear at 9, as were Parish and Sharman at 10 and 11 respectively. DJ and Jo Jo were close at 12 and 13, but well ahead of other choices and now we're in the midst of another bunch that goes from 14 all the way through to 20. KG won the 14th spot, but Reggie, Max, Easy Ed, Satch, Ramsey, KC and even Ainge are pretty close. Silas and Tiny are lurking too and could join the fray. I have my preferences, I know Donoghus and Roy are tired of Macauley being left out, but I for one am really interested to see how the concensus ranks the rest. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 02:09:05 PM by paintitgreen »
Go Celtics.

« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2009, 04:27:37 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
see the problem i am having....please someone help draw a line on who and why to include. just "he wore a celtics uniform for 5 seconds" doesnt seem to work.

Think of what the Celtics mean to you. If you take a look at Celtic History now, who contributed the most to what "being a Celtic" means to you, with tangibles (championships, awards) or intangibles.

I voted for Paul Silas, for example, although he didnīt play his whole career with the Celtics, but he was a smart, tough-nosed player who was part of two championship-teams.
When I think of the Boston Celtics, the name Paul Silas is tied to the organization. Not as much as Russell or Bird, but still enough to be on the list.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2009, 04:55:46 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
see the problem i am having....please someone help draw a line on who and why to include. just "he wore a celtics uniform for 5 seconds" doesnt seem to work.

Think of what the Celtics mean to you. If you take a look at Celtic History now, who contributed the most to what "being a Celtic" means to you, with tangibles (championships, awards) or intangibles.

I voted for Paul Silas, for example, although he didnīt play his whole career with the Celtics, but he was a smart, tough-nosed player who was part of two championship-teams.
When I think of the Boston Celtics, the name Paul Silas is tied to the organization. Not as much as Russell or Bird, but still enough to be on the list.

As I take it, I only factored contributions to the Celtics. That's why many never gave a vote for Garnett. I, however, rank Garnett around 10th-13th (after, in order, Russell, Bird, Cousy, Havlicek, Cowens, Sam Jones, McHale, Pierce, Tommy and maybe Parish, Jo Jo and Sharman). That is based solely on his contributions to the Celtics, as I think one of the 6-7 guys in Celtics history to be the best player on a championship team should be in or near the top 10. And that he has only played two years in Boston doesn't pull him down that far to me.

If I was considering the entire careers of every player to wear a Celtics uniform, I'd have Garnett third. I'd have Archibald up there already. I'd probably have Walton up there already. I'd have DJ higher. Pistol Pete would have to be considered somewhere. But I think it's about contributions to the Celtics. "Greatest Celtics Ever" not "Greatest Players Ever to Be on the Celtics."
Go Celtics.

« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2009, 05:03:15 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

As I take it, I only factored contributions to the Celtics. That's why many never gave a vote for Garnett. I, however, rank Garnett around 10th-13th (after, in order, Russell, Bird, Cousy, Havlicek, Cowens, Sam Jones, McHale, Pierce, Tommy and maybe Parish, Jo Jo and Sharman). That is based solely on his contributions to the Celtics, as I think one of the 6-7 guys in Celtics history to be the best player on a championship team should be in or near the top 10. And that he has only played two years in Boston doesn't pull him down that far to me.

If I was considering the entire careers of every player to wear a Celtics uniform, I'd have Garnett third. I'd have Archibald up there already. I'd probably have Walton up there already. I'd have DJ higher. Pistol Pete would have to be considered somewhere. But I think it's about contributions to the Celtics. "Greatest Celtics Ever" not "Greatest Players Ever to Be on the Celtics."

I just wanted to show a way to look at this. It`s perfectly fine to go your route to find your own list. It`s intentional that there are no clear-cut rules.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2009, 05:18:39 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
WHAT IS THIS?!?!??!?! No, really. These threads, numbers 1 through 50 billion have been clogging the latest forums topics for like 3 months. WHAT IS GOING ON IN THESE THREADS, I CAN NEVER READ THEM ALL BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL 9 PAGES LONG! 
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2009, 05:45:18 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
Dude, chill. It is what it is. So far, 15 polls designed to rank the 25 Greatest Celtics. If you care to find out what it is, the first post in each thread explains it pretty concisely. If you don't care, why ask?
Go Celtics.