Author Topic: Jason Williams  (Read 4405 times)

Re: Jason Williams
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 11:35:16 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5351
  • Thumper of the BASS!
jason williams

he was not takin seriously his first couple of years in the league....street ball handles, passin and stuff

he toned down his street game and i think it hurt him..

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 12:36:11 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
jason williams

he was not takin seriously his first couple of years in the league....street ball handles, passin and stuff

agreed.

Re: Jason Williams now a free agent
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 12:47:42 AM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Not alot of defense between him and House, but atleast he can shoot.

He's a career 39.6% shooter...

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 01:01:02 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
jason williams

agreed.

third

if you're pretty similar to other players you need to do something that distinguishes yourself and makes you harder to guard

I equate it to the knuckleballer in baseball - if everyone threw a knuckleball it'd be a lot easier to hit, but because nearly no one does it, its hard to hit

that's why Rondo is so tough to defend, there's nothing else like him in tthe league

if everyone played like Rondo, he'd be just another player, but he's special b/c he's different

When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 04:14:13 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
I would take him in a heartbeat. What can he do wrong in 10 minutes per game at most? If he takes the vet minimum, then Williams > Marbury > Lue.

Does anyone remember Game 6 of the 2006 Eastern Conference Finals? That was an epic performance by him, and I will always love him for that.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 04:23:51 AM by P2 »

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 05:50:52 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3037
jason williams

agreed.

Seems to me toning down his "street game" made his assist-to-turnover ratio about twice as good, without hurting any of his other stats. He was only at about 2:1 in his early days in Sacramento... more like 3:1 to 4:1 in Memphis. I'm not saying a little flair is always a bad thing, but I think Mr. Williams clearly made himself a more reliable (and better) PG after a few years in the league. What is there to suggest he was more dangerous in his early years, when he was shooting 37% and turning the ball over 3+ times a game?

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 09:23:39 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I prefer Marbury, but I wouldn't mind him.  As Jeff said on the front page today, and I've said in the forums, who plays the whopping 10 mpg or so behind Rondo isn't all that big of a deal. 

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 11:42:33 AM »

Offline DoubleDip

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
jason williams

agreed.

Seems to me toning down his "street game" made his assist-to-turnover ratio about twice as good, without hurting any of his other stats. He was only at about 2:1 in his early days in Sacramento... more like 3:1 to 4:1 in Memphis. I'm not saying a little flair is always a bad thing, but I think Mr. Williams clearly made himself a more reliable (and better) PG after a few years in the league. What is there to suggest he was more dangerous in his early years, when he was shooting 37% and turning the ball over 3+ times a game?

The thing is, in Memphis he actually kept a lot of flair in his game. He just made better decisions on when and where to use it. J-Will credited Hubie Brown with helping his game mature, but we can also assume after being in the league 4-5 years he grew naturally as a point guard.

And though they didn't win any games, some of those Memphis teams made the playoffs, an admirable feat considering where they are now. On top of that, he was the point guard on a championship team, and say what you will about his role, but he was a great distributor and was one of the top streak shooters in the league before he left. His averages might not have been top notch, but he doesn't really look to shoot unless he has the hot hand.

I think he would compliment this team incredibly because of his court awareness and passing skills. With shooters surrounding him (Sheed, House, hopefully Baby) and a slasher in Daniels, plus some minutes with the first group if Rondo is out or in foul trouble, his passing and team play would be a plus.

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 11:43:49 AM »

Offline DoubleDip

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
I should have prefaced that by saying this only works if the year he took off helped him recover from the knee and leg injuries that plagued him and slowed him down a bit. I think that had something to do with his early retirement as well but hopefully those issues aren't as concerning to him now.