Author Topic: Ricky Rubio plans to leave DKV Joventut even if no buyout is agreed upon  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Rubio plans to leave DKV Joventut

GERONA, Spain -- Ricky Rubio plans to part ways with Spanish basketball club DKV Joventut even if the Minnesota Timberwolves cannot reach a deal to bring their first round draft pick to the NBA.

Timberwolves president David Kahn was in Spain this week to try and help the fifth overall pick negotiate a buyout of his contract with Joventut. Rubio is at odds with his boyhood club over an $8.2 million buyout clause, which the NBA team can only contribute $500,000 toward.

Regardless of whether the 18-year-old Rubio makes the trip across the Atlantic next season, he won't be playing at Joventut.

"I want to continue with the club but, after everything that's happened, I don't think they're too comfortable having me in their squad," Rubio said Wednesday. "I want to play in a winning team, on a team that can achieve many things."

Spanish basketball clubs Real Madrid and Barcelona are both interested in signing Rubio if he cannot make it to the NBA this season.

I for one would love to see the backcourt combination of Rubio and Jonny Flynn next season.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

Offline Aaron

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 18
I'm not trying to mock you, honestly... but I just got the image of a Flynn, Rubio, Mateen Cleaves, Earl Boylins and Spud Webb starting five and it made me giggle.

Just wanted to share.