Author Topic: What Daniels does to our bench players  (Read 12409 times)

What Daniels does to our bench players
« on: July 18, 2009, 07:40:26 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
With Marquis Daniels apparently a done deal what does this do to our bench?  Daniels can play swing posistions and even a bit of pg.  Where does this leave old friends, Tony Allen, Scal, Giddens, Pruitt, Walker and even eddie??
I think Danny might have another trade in mind for TA and someone else.  Daniels is a taller Tony with a bit better handle.  It is kind of funny someone posting that Daniels has 20 some odd dnps, think of what TA has had.  Daniels to me pretty much takes any minutes giddens or walker would have gotten this year and should eat up all TA's minutes also.
TA & Scal salaries are interesting for trades.  Eddie to me should be safe unless his salary is needed to make a deal happen.  Also Pruitt is our only real backup pg and I'm sure we can all argue he's a sg playing pg.
so any ideas on what is going to happen to giddens, walker, ta and scal?

Re: What Daniels does to our bench players
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 08:13:26 AM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
If they package Eddie up with a deal, that's going to hurt us more then help. Eddie's points ALWAYS mean the difference between a W or L and his shots usually start our leads.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 08:14:18 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 734
  • MASTER OF PANIC
IF THEY RESIGN BABY AND get daniels for nothing:

-Scal backs up the PF spot like he did last year
-i think tony allen is done in boston
-i think boston keeps giddens OR walker...not both..i think they like giddens all around game better than walkers so i expect billy to be gone..

-gabe? we will find out August 1st...if danny picks up the option he prolly is the back up point

-no way they move eddie. he is the primary 2 off the bench and i think daniels is the 3 off th bench..if someone is leaving boston it is coming out of tony, scal, gabe, giddens and walker

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 08:15:29 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
i think they like giddens all around game better than walkers so i expect billy to be gone..

What makes you say that, Billy was on the bench last year while Gabe was in the D-League.

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 08:16:54 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i think they like giddens all around game better than walkers so i expect billy to be gone..

What makes you say that, Billy was on the bench last year while Gabe was in the D-League.

just what i have read about how danny and doc feel giddens has surpassed walker. i think they see a guy that can score more than walker and can certainly defend better than billy. if i had to bet on which one of those 2 makes the team it will be giddens

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 08:21:46 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
We have an 8-man rotation now:

C  Perk/Sheed
PF KG/Sheed
SF PP/Quisy
SG Ray/Quisy
PG Rondo/House

So right now there is one big need: Another big. Then there are two optional needs: Backup PG and another C. If Baby stays, we could call it an offseason already. But I would like to add another cheap big (like Swift, Fazekas, etc.) more than a PG. House will be fine at PG.

I would rather ship out dead weight in Tony + Giddens and spend the LLE on a good 4th big (if Baby doesn't re-sign) or a backup PG than giving it to Daniels. Ideally, it could look like this in the end:

C  Perk/Sheed/Swift
PF KG/Baby/Scal
SF PP/Quisy/Walker
SG Ray/House
PG Rondo/A. Carter/Pruitt

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 08:27:03 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Walker, TA, J.R. and Pruitt are now in a rotation race to see who can earn that 4h swing man position.  It is probably worth 5 minutes a game when Doc likes to go all bench on the floor.

I think the three that lose out are destined to be part of a trade package for during the season. 

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 08:33:37 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Walker, TA, J.R. and Pruitt are now in a rotation race to see who can earn that 4h swing man position.  It is probably worth 5 minutes a game when Doc likes to go all bench on the floor.

I think the three that lose out are destined to be part of a trade package for during the season. 

yep...i wonder if giddens goes home the D league

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 08:36:01 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
We have a really old team. What makes you think Doc won't play his five man bench unit, like he usually does during the regular season, of House, Allen, Daniels, Davis, and Wallace? In other words, why make a move? Unless we get something really good for Scal and Tony, I'm fine with this team. Let's compete. We're ready.

Also, I should say this: The shooting skills of Davis, Wallace, and House, make up for the terrible shooting at the wing, which would be Tony and Marquis.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 08:44:32 AM by KungPoweChicken »

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 08:36:43 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

yep...i wonder if giddens goes home the D league

I think either he or Walker will end up there early in the season if they can not earn a rotation spot.

I even think TA now has a better shot at a rotation spot now that they added Daniels.  With Daniel on the ball skills, that takes the ball out of TA hands.  If he can be a successful slasher/defender while only playing 10 minutes a night, he could earn the 4th spot. (and still get traded)

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 08:37:37 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
We have a really old team. What makes you think Doc won't play his five man bench unit, like he usually does during the regular season, of House, Allen, Daniels, Davis, and Wallace?

That's what I was saying, but I think the young guys will get a shot at taking TA spot there.

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 08:40:02 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • MASTER OF PANIC
IF they don't move anyone and go with what they have (including baby): i think gabe backs up rondo, tony becomes the third SG behind eddie, they send either walker or giddens and hudson to the D league, scal is the third forward and they add one more big for very cheap

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 08:43:21 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1820
Don't know what kind of packages they would do...

But I think we'll see a unit of House-Daniels-Giddens/Walker

I think that's the scenario Danny/Doc are working on a the moment. We'll see if they can come up with a trade.

IF they don't move anyone and go with what they have (including baby): i think gabe backs up rondo, tony becomes the third SG behind eddie, they send either walker or giddens and hudson to the D league, scal is the third forward and they add one more big for very cheap

I don't think this will be the case. I think Daniels here moves Pruitt further in the depth chart because he's a ball handler that can play with Eddie. I think we'll see Walker and/or Giddens before Pruitt is on the floor.

As for Tony, I think the Doc and Danny are ready to move away from him and that being the case they'll try to prepare Giddens and Walker to make them contributors from the get go. We'll see how they perform during training camp, and I think Tony needs to really impress to get the job.

We'll see.

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 08:44:33 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I think House backs up Rondo.  I think TA or Walker or JR play next to Daniels. 

I still think Pruitt is gone.

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 08:45:39 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1820

I think House backs up Rondo.  I think TA or Walker or JR play next to Daniels. 

I still think Pruitt is gone.

I don't think Pruitt is gone, unless the find a substantial improvement. But I agree with your other assesment, look in the post above yours.