Author Topic: Trade with NO(No Posey, Ray, Rondo)  (Read 7132 times)

Trade with NO(No Posey, Ray, Rondo)
« on: June 05, 2009, 10:49:08 PM »

Offline POBstuntin

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 17
Celtics Give: Giddens, Scally, Pruitt, TA
Hornets Give: Peterson, Julian Wright, 21 pick

Why for the Celtics:  We get a shooter in Mo Pete, who can play the 2 or 3, a young swingman in Wright who can do a lot of things and can potentially play the 4 in a small line up and have the opportunity to take a 4,5  that can play the minutes Leon would of.  (Sam Young, Clark if he falls, Casspi (who I really like)

Why for the Hornets:  All the contracts are expiring, they save 5.5 on Mo Pete for the 2010 season.  They probably don't want to pay the 21 pick anyways seeing as how Shinn is a cheap man.  They need a defensive two and maybe someone else can see the shine in TA that we all have at point or another.  Its more or less a salary dump. 

I like the trade on some levels but it makes me nervous using all our expiring contracts this early but I think it would make us better.  NOH also might not do this but it seems to me that they want to get rid of all the salary anyways and mo pete is a 5.5 is wayy too much but we can afford to take the hit. 

Re: Trade with NO(No Posey, Ray, Rondo)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 11:27:03 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I'm not sure Mo Pete + fillers (though the 21 pick could be alright) is really worth this but it's an interesting thought.

I dare say we could possibly get something better for what you have us trading.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 11:31:30 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
If dejuan blair falls to number 21 i would love this trade. I might look around more before pulling the trigger on this sort of deal. But i think NO would do it and its certainly interesting.

Sure you don't want to throw in rondo and chris paul?

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 11:36:39 PM »

Offline POBstuntin

• Oshae Brissett
If dejuan blair falls to number 21 i would love this trade. I might look around more before pulling the trigger on this sort of deal. But i think NO would do it and its certainly interesting.

Sure you don't want to throw in rondo and chris paul?

Yeah, maybe if we through in 3 million dollars with the 21 we could bump up a few spots if Mr. Groubeck is serious about paying for a champion. Im with you on Blair, love that man.  And yeah I was going to throw in Rondo, KG, for Paul and Posey but it didnt work with the cap.

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 11:36:40 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I don't know how much Mo Pete has left.  Can he still play?  He didn't show much in New Orleans last year.

I do like Julian Wright.  If Peterson showed anything early in the season, this is a trade that I'd consider.  (Of course, the #21 wouldn't be an option at that point, and Pruitt will hopefully be off the roster.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 11:39:42 PM »

Offline PJ Martinez

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
Seems somewhat plausible -- though New Orleans really can't spin it as anything but a salary move, so I'm not sure how it'd go over there. But if they're desperate, this brings over a possible backup SF in Wright along with a draft pick with potential. I see Mo Pete as likely a bottom of the bench guy at this point, but he'd probably be more consistent than TA, at least.

Edit: I guess NO could say they think Pruitt and Giddens are promising, to cover for the obvious salary dump. Smart fans wouldn't buy it, but maybe that would be enough.

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 11:40:49 PM »

Offline POBstuntin

• Oshae Brissett
I don't know how much Mo Pete has left.  Can he still play?  He didn't show much in New Orleans last year.

I do like Julian Wright.  If Peterson showed anything early in the season, this is a trade that I'd consider.  (Of course, the #21 wouldn't be an option at that point, and Pruitt will hopefully be off the roster.)

Yeah,  the numbers certainly don't look great for Mo Pete. PosImpos might be right that we could get something better for all the expirings.  The trade is really about Julian Wright, I think with the right situation he could be a great glue guy ala Tayshaun or what Ariza is doing for the Lakers now.  I really miss not having the flexibility to go with a small line up for periods of time, and he def. would help against Raw Lew but then again if KG was there he would of helped way more.  I always get a little crazy before the draft and talk myself into late first round picks being a good thing.  [dang] Chad Ford.  

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 11:46:11 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I like Julian Wright, but he's a little bit of a project and I wonder how much he'd help next year. I don't like MoPete.

I'd rather offer Turnover Tony and Scal for Nocioni, frankly.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 11:50:40 PM »

Offline POBstuntin

• Oshae Brissett
I like Julian Wright, but he's a little bit of a project and I wonder how much he'd help next year. I don't like MoPete.

I like some parts of Noc's game but he's a bit of a gunner for my liking.  He has a propensity to taking running one handers in traffic and I more than have my fill of those with Rondo on the court.  He is a tough defender though and certainly has his positives.  If we take all of Noc's contract I'd like to get something like Garcia in return as well. 

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 12:08:06 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I like some parts of Noc's game but he's a bit of a gunner for my liking.  He has a propensity to taking running one handers in traffic and I more than have my fill of those with Rondo on the court. 

I think this may be an issue of perception.

Nocioni

06-07:  46.7 FG%, 38.3 3PT%, .536 eFG%, .578 TS%
07-08:  43.2 FG%, 36.4 3PT%, .504 eFG%, .549 TS%
08-09:  42.7 FG%, 39.9 3PT%, .515 eFG%, .555 TS%

Mo Pete

06-07:  42.9 FG%, 35.9 3PT%, .532 eFG%, .555 TS%
07-08:  41.7 FG%, 39.4 3PT%, .526 eFG%. .549 TS%
08-09:  39.9 FG%, 38.8 3PT%, .489 eFG%, .499 TS%

Over the past three seasons, Nocioni has shot a higher percentage from the floor than Peterson, and he's been better from three in two of those three seasons.  He's also generally been a more efficient player.  When you couple that with his versatility (Nocioni can play the 4), his younger age, and his superior health, I think Nocioni is the better choice.

The only advantage Peterson has is his contract (2 years, $12.4 million vs. 3 years, $21 million).  I like Wright, but not enough to make up the difference between the two players in my mind.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 12:19:30 AM »

Offline POBstuntin

• Oshae Brissett

I like some parts of Noc's game but he's a bit of a gunner for my liking.  He has a propensity to taking running one handers in traffic and I more than have my fill of those with Rondo on the court. 

I think this may be an issue of perception.

Nocioni

06-07:  46.7 FG%, 38.3 3PT%, .536 eFG%, .578 TS%
07-08:  43.2 FG%, 36.4 3PT%, .504 eFG%, .549 TS%
08-09:  42.7 FG%, 39.9 3PT%, .515 eFG%, .555 TS%

Mo Pete

06-07:  42.9 FG%, 35.9 3PT%, .532 eFG%, .555 TS%
07-08:  41.7 FG%, 39.4 3PT%, .526 eFG%. .549 TS%
08-09:  39.9 FG%, 38.8 3PT%, .489 eFG%, .499 TS%

Over the past three seasons, Nocioni has shot a higher percentage from the floor than Peterson, and he's been better from three in two of those three seasons.  He's also generally been a more efficient player.  When you couple that with his versatility (Nocioni can play the 4), his younger age, and his superior health, I think Nocioni is the better choice.

The only advantage Peterson has is his contract (2 years, $12.4 million vs. 3 years, $21 million).  I like Wright, but not enough to make up the difference between the two players in my mind.

The trade to me isn't really about Mo Pete, its more our willingness to take him on.  I don't doubt that Noc is considerably better than Mo Pete but I think Julian Wright would be a better fit than Noc.  If we could just trade straight up for J Wright I would do that.  Also getting the 21st pick would be nice.  Noc still shot 42 percent last year which is not great regardless if it was better than Mo Pete.  Byron Scott has a history of clashing with young players and I really think Julian would do well but I understand that his numbers and history probably wouldn't make this trade viable. 

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 01:22:52 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Creative idea, but I agree with Roy and Coach Bo that Nocioni would be preferable.  He's better than Mo-Pete and Wright hasn't shown that he can be a rotation guy on a playoff team. 

Might be worth a look if Nocioni gets traded elsewhere though.  Though I'm not sure MoPete offers much more than Scal. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 01:29:01 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I with the naysayers on this trade.  Scal seems to provide more than Mo Pete at this point, and while J. Wright and the draft pick will be nice additions for the future, this is a move that doesn't seem to take good advantage of the Cs current window.

I know this is not a Posey thread, but I would prefer the trade if it was Posey instead of Mo Pete... (and NO can keep one of J Wright or #21).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 02:56:15 AM »

Offline POBstuntin

• Oshae Brissett
I with the naysayers on this trade.  Scal seems to provide more than Mo Pete at this point, and while J. Wright and the draft pick will be nice additions for the future, this is a move that doesn't seem to take good advantage of the Cs current window.

I know this is not a Posey thread, but I would prefer the trade if it was Posey instead of Mo Pete... (and NO can keep one of J Wright or #21).

Yeah, me too.  If we would be willing to trade for a contract that we wouldn't sign a year ago, essentially admitting our mistake (even though I wouldn't of given posey that extra year either) than I would be impressed with the humility of our front office.  The more that we talk about this trade I proposed, the less I like it. It appears my love of the Mo Pete Michigan State era and the Julian Wright potential drew me in but after reading the reasons against it, I agree it wouldn't be the most prudent move. 

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 03:30:31 AM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Mo Pete practically hasn`t played in two years, I have no idea why people would want him. His contract is horrible...