Author Topic: Ray shouldn't even be considered tradable until season starts  (Read 4531 times)

Re: Ray shouldn't even be considered tradable until season starts
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 05:05:53 PM »

Offline fugazzi24

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 17
I know we will not and should not trade Ray but think about this trade for a minute.  Nothing like a good 9 player trade on a Friday afternoon.

The Celtics Trade Ray Allen and Gabe Pruit to Phoenix
The Suns Trade Amare Stoudemire, Jared Dudley and Gorin Dragic to Golden State.
The Warriors Trade Monte Ellis, Ronnie Turiaf and Kellanna Azubuke to the Celtics and Branden Wright to the Suns.

Celtics Line-up

Rondo/House/Ellis
Ellis/House/Azubuke
Pierce/Azubuke/Scal
Garnet/Davis/Turiaf
Perk/Turiaf/

Phoenix Line-up

Nash/Barbosa/Pruit
Allen/Barbosa/Pruit
Richardson/Allen/Tucker
Wright/Swift
Oneal/Sideshow Bob

Golden State Line-up

Crawford/Watson/Dragic
Maggette/Belini
Jackson/Morrow
Stoudemire/Randolph
Biendrins/Davidson

All these trades never work for one team but I do like this one.

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 05:07:44 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
No player should be untradable if the deal will improve the team.

Pierce is the closest too it since he's been a Celtic his whole career and been a HoF player for us. But even then if it'd get us close to another banner, you have to think about it!

For a player who's only been a C for two years, of course you have to see what you can get.

While that's a good idea in theory, I'd argue that the Celtics can be so good next year with the team they have that there's no trade out there (within reason) that would unquestionably improve this team.  

Could we get players who on paper might seem better than Ray and Rondo?  

Maybe.

But there's no guarantee that those players that are better on paper will make the team any better.  There's been plenty of talented teams over the years that simply didn't gel.  

This team won 66 games 2 seasons ago and won 62 games this year, while KG missed 1/3 of the season.  During that time, Rondo and Perk have blossomed.  Add a healthy KG, even more improved Perk and Rondo, plus a couple of bench pieces, and I think this team can win 70+ games.  

You don't break up teams that can do that with the pipe dream you might be able to get even better. It'd be like winning the lottery then going to Vegas.  You could win more money, but you're much, much more likely to lose it.  We've already won the lottery, we don't need to go to Vegas.  
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 05:15:21 PM by Jon »

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 06:30:30 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154

On the record we have an added wrinkle - one that we thought to be highly unlikely until we found it reported with a quote attributed to Celtics GM Danny Ainge. It seems the Celtics are willing to package Rajon Rondo with Allen to make the right deal happen "He's stubborn," Ainge told ESPN's Jackie MacMullen. "He doesn't always take direction well. He's very bright and knows what he needs to do to be successful. But sometimes he doesn't understand what the team needs to be successful." Doc Rivers expressed similar sentiments, which he directed at Rondo himself earlier this season. "Do you know your teammates hate playing with you? ... The point guard has to be the guy that brings energy to the team. You can't be the guy that sucks it away. Your moodiness is affecting us. Change it." HoopsWorld

Look at what they're trying to say, though. "one that we thought to be highly unlikely until we found it reported with a quote attributed to Celtics GM Danny Ainge". But they don't have a quote from Ainge that they're thinking about trading Rondo, they don't even have a current quote from Ainge about being displeased with Rondo. They took an old quote from an old article (probably out of context) and are using it to prop up a rumor. That's like me saying the Celts are shopping Pierce and posting quotes from after that Indiana series about how immature Paul is to back up the rumor.

These types of postings (the HoopsWorld one) are the reasons the blog community has so little credibility with mainstream journalism and fans. The danger is that a mainstream source takes that kind of quote and runs with it creating drama within our front office. While the Ainge quote is simply taken out of context (note that they don't include the fact that he called Pierce and KG the two most stubborn guys on the team), in that the article had to do with Rondo's growth and the bulk of the piece, including Ainge's quotes, praised his ability, the Doc quote is an out and out lie. WHile Doc said it, the article clearly states Doc directed his quote about Rondo's attitude "at Rondo earlier this season." Doc said that to Rondo during his rookie season, not this past season. The statement is not only irresponsible, it's a lie.

Rumor starting and spreading can be fine, but when you start misquoting, taking quotes of contexts, and blatantly lying about the timing of quotes, you're crossing the line. I am severely disappointed in that being published on another page. It honestly makes me wonder if the HoopsWorld article was based on something as unsupported as Jsaad's comment in TradeProposalDude's "This is why I can't stand Rajon Rondo" thread, or vice versa. (By the way, Jsaad, did you see the HoopsWorld thing before or after you posted the quote on the other thread? Just curious. Either way, HW is the irresponsible one in posting quotes like this on a site - a message board is for this type of discussion.  

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=28737.msg500661#msg500661

Rebuttal from ManUp:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=28737.msg500684#msg500684
Go Celtics.