Author Topic: Celtics (60-19) at Cavaliers (64-15) 4/12  (Read 65641 times)

Celtics (60-19) at Cavaliers (64-15) 4/12
« on: April 11, 2009, 12:04:51 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 

Boston Celtics (60-19) at Cleveland Cavaliers (64-15)
Sunday, April 10
3:30 PM ET
Game #80, Road Game #41
TV:  ABC
Quicken Loans Arena 

Throughout the NBA there are several basketball arenas that have nicknames, none that may be as good as “the Q.” For more than 35 years the Cavaliers have been playing basketball in Cleveland, first playing at Cleveland Arena, then the Richfield Coliseum and now at Quicken Loans Arena.   The Cleveland Cavaliers played their first game at Gund Arena on October 17, 1994. Gund Arena was one of the premier basketball arenas when it opened in 1994 and remains one of the best facilities more than a decade later. Today the Cavaliers home is known as Quicken Loans Arena or by its nickname, “the Q,” after Dan Gillbert, owner of Quicken Loans, bought the team in 2005.

Coach: Doc Rivers
Average Age: 27.3
Average Height: 6-6
Average Weight: 222

Probable Starters
   PG: Rajon Rondo PPG 12.2 RPG 5.20 APG 8.4
   SG:  Ray Allen  PPG 18.3 RPG 3.50 APG 2.8   
   SF:  Paul Pierce  PPG 20.3 RPG 5.70 APG 3.7   
   PF: Glen Davis  PPG 6.4 RPG 3.90 APG 0.9   
   C:  Kendrick Perkins  PPG 8.5 RPG 8.20 BPG 2.0

Reserves

Stephon Marbury
Mikki Moore
Eddie House
Gabe Pruitt
Bill Walker
Tony Allen

Injuries:
Leon Powe (knee) out
Kevin Garnett (knee) out
Brian Scalabrine (head)  out

Coach: Mike Brown
Average Age: 27.1
Average Height: 6-7
Average Weight: 227

Probable Starters
  PG:  Mo Williams PPG 17.9 RPG 3.40 APG 4.0 
  SG: Delonte West PPG 11.7 RPG 3.10 APG 3.6
  SF: LeBron James  PPG 28.3 RPG 7.70 APG 7.2 
  PF: Anderson Varejao   PPG 8.7 RPG 7.10 APG 1.0
  C: Zydrunas Ilgauskas  PPG 13.0 RPG 7.40  BPG 1.3

Reserves
Daniel Gibson
Tarence Kinsey
Darnell Jackson
Jawad Williams
Lorenzen Wright
Sasha Pavlovic
Wally Szczerbiak 
Joe Smith
Ben Wallace

Injured
JJ Hickson (back)  out

Matchups to Watch
  vs 
The matchup between Paul Pierce and LeBron James is always an entertaining one and is one of the best matchups in the league.  The game 7 duel between these two players is a classic.  Both players are capable of taking over a game and both players will try to keep their teammates involved.    Both Pierce and LeBron know the importance of this game and so we should see another classic game between these two.   

vs 
    Both of these point guards have been playing very well and both have their teams playing well.  The Celtics will need Rondo to be aggressive and to continue the high level of play we have seen from him over the past 6 games if the Celtics hope to win this one.  He will also need to stay in front of Mo Williams and try to slow him down.     

Honorable Mention
Ray Allen vs Delonte West
  Delonte has a chip on his shoulder against the Celtics for trading him and he will do his best to help his team win this one.  He is a good defender and will make Ray work for everything he gets.  It will be up to Ray to try to slow down Delonte as well. 

Connections
Wally Szczerbiak played for the Celtics in the 06-07 season. 
Wally also played with KG in Minnesota
Delonte West was the the Celtics' 24th pick in the 04 draft and spent 3 seasons with the Celtics before being sent to Seattle in the trade that brought Ray Allen to Boston.
Mikki Moore and Lorenzen Wright played together in Sacramento
Darnell Jackson and Paul Pierce are former Kansas Jayhawks
Cavs Assistant Coach John Keuster was an assistant for the Celtics from 1995-97. 

Keys to the Game
Defense, Defense, Defense The Cavs have taken a page from the Celtics' book and are winning with defense.    The Celtics have struggled with their defense at times after KG went out, but it seems as though they have found their defensive intensity once again.   Defense will be the key to winning this game. 

Limit Turnovers   The Cavs are one of the best teams in the league in converting turnovers into points.  The Celtics are one of the worst teams in the league at turning the ball over.  It sounds like a formula for disaster.  If the Celtics turn the ball over, the Cavs will make them pay for it.   

Rebound  Rebounding numbers indicate effort and desire and the team that works hardest on the glass will likely be the team that wants this game more.    The Celtics must limit the Cavs' second chance efforts and at the same time they have to get offensive rebounds to give themselves more opportunities to score. 

Game Notes
This is the 4th and final meeting between these two teams who rank 1st and 2nd in the East.  The Celtics lead the series 2-1 with both teams winning on their home court. 

The Cavs have locked in the first seed in the East, but are still in a battle with the Lakers for home court throughout the playoffs.  The Celtics are now 2 games in front of Orlando for the second seed after the Magic inexplicably lost to the Knicks at home on Friday and the Celtics beat the Heat.  Both teams will be motivated to win this game. 

The Cavs are basically healthy and have their team in place as it will be going into the playoffs.  The Celtics are still missing 3 key players who they will hopefully get back in time for the playoffs. 

One incentive that the Celtics have to beat the Cavs in this one is to protect the 1986 Celtics regular season record.  That team finished 41-1 at home, losing only to the Trailblazers that season.  The Cavs are now 38-1, having lost at home only to the Lakers. 

This should be a very hard fought game.  The Cavs definitely have the advantage since they are at home where they are playing exceptionally well this season.  They also are healthy while the Celtics are still short handed, especially in the front court.  But, you can't underestimate the heart of a champion.  The Celtics have been playing with and winning with a lot of heart and we can expect to see that heart on display in this game as well. 

X-Factor
Home Court and Focus
The Cavs are very tough on their home court and it will take a very focused Celtics team to win there.  The Cavs will be focused on staying ahead of the Lakers for that overall best record while the Celtics will be focused on staying ahead of the Magic for the second seed in the East.  Both teams will be looking to get a psychological edge going into the playoffs. 

Re: Celtics (60-19) at Cavaliers (64-15) 4/12
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 12:16:38 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Looks like a turd. Quite fitting.

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 12:44:13 AM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
It would be an outrage that the Celtics playoff campaign might end at a building that plagerized my Internet Nickname.

I'm gonna have to make a personal appearence at the Q and make sure the Refs call travelling on Lebron - or better yet I go as the imposter ref with the letter Q on it and call Lebron for travelling myself.

Q is gonna get you Cleveland, BEWARE!
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 01:24:36 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
TP for FL.
Let's make sure the Cavs don't
equal the C's '85-'86 home record!

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 01:39:36 AM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
I notice Ben Wallace isn't on the injury report. He's playing again, now?

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
I notice Ben Wallace isn't on the injury report. He's playing again, now?
According to the box score, he played 16:40 last night off the bench. 

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 01:51:14 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Thanks for this preview FL, tp!

It's the biggest game remaining in the Celtics' schedule and I can't wait to watch it. I'm sure our team can beat the Cavaliers in Cleveland, shake their "home confidence" and secure the Celtics' home record. Great matchups, and some important things at stake, big game! Go C's!

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 02:28:23 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
Everyone needs to play smart in this game, because we need to beat LeRoid, LeRoid's star treatment, the refs, Mike Brown's star treatment, the hamburgler, the cotton candy guy, David Stern, Stu Jackson.....what DOESN'T Cleveland get that benefits them at home for gods sake!?!? and if Joey Crawford or Dick Bavetta are the refs, this game is automatically an "L"
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 02:32:54 PM »

Offline SSFan V

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
am I the only one who considers this game moot?

Very impressive summary though.  TP
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 02:39:08 PM by SSFan V »
sometimes you have to bite your lip, exhale and move on.  So, I have.

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 02:37:47 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
It is going to be a tough game given that it is (a) against Cleveland, (b) on the road, (c) without KG, and (d) a Sunday afternoon game (Cs have had limited success in these games, for some reason).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 02:40:01 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
am I the only one who considers this game moot?

Very impressive summary though.  TP

nope....i hope they win but i am not sweating this one...what you see sunday has no bearing on the playoffs...no powe, no KG and no scal...i hope boston wins but if they dont...i wont be too concerned

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 10:25:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Some random guy on fox radio claimed KG was going to play today. Anyone else hear anything like that? I thought he'd be definitively ruled out as early as last week for today's game.

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 10:43:16 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Some random guy on fox radio claimed KG was going to play today. Anyone else hear anything like that? I thought he'd be definitively ruled out as early as last week for today's game.

Sounds like that random guy on fox is wrong ... or worse, seeding a future story (when KG doesn't play the fox guy will say KG had a set back).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »

Offline silvershamrocker

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Believe In The Sleeve
I'm so pumped for this game. Bring on LeCrabaliers!

"It will be fun watching the Lakers get those balloons down one at a time." - Bill Russell

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 10:49:53 AM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Since we are locked into the #2 seed, this game has all the importance of an All-star game. Lots of show but I am gonna be concentrating on the Masters today and pulling for Kenny Perry - love to see oldtime golfers win.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.