Author Topic: Top Ten Punk-Pop bands of all time.  (Read 10353 times)

Re: Top Ten Punk-Pop bands of all time.
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2009, 08:16:09 AM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
A little love for the west coast:  I nominate TSOL.

Second, the band that can pretty much define pop/punk (and garage pop or garage punk or  . . .) . . . THE [dang]ED!!!

Agreed, fun topic, though if we aren't careful we'll argue so much we'll miss the first round of playoffs.

Re: Top Ten Punk-Pop bands of all time.
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2009, 09:31:42 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

And kudos to whoever mentioned MXPX.  Those dudes wrote a ton of catchy tunes.  Dont know why they never made it big.

I love MXPX.  I believe they were on a major label for a while, and got a bit of a push, but while their songs were very catchy, they just didn't have the mass appeal of some of the other bands that were getting bigger in the mainstream at the time.

Another band who had a similar career to MXPX (built a huge following on indie labels, signed to a major label, had a couple slightly successful songs, was dropped by the major label, and are now playing tiny clubs, and opening for bands who worshipped them growing up) is the Ataris.  They were the "it" pop-punk band for a few years, before signing with Capital, and having it all fall apart. 

They are still trying to keep it together, but I don't know how much longer they will be doing it.  I talked a bit with Kris Roe (their lead singer) at a small show they did last year, and he said that if this next album doesn't catch on, they may just hang it up.