Author Topic: Orlando Magic (45-16) vs Boston Celtics (49-14) 3/8  (Read 60543 times)

Orlando Magic (45-16) vs Boston Celtics (49-14) 3/8
« on: March 07, 2009, 05:04:10 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
   at 

Orlando Magic (45-16) at Boston Celtics (49-14)
Sunday, March 8
1:00 PM ET
Game # 64, Home Game #32
TV:  CSN HD, FSN HD, NBA LP 752
TD Banknorth Garden

Probable Starting Matchups
  vs 
Rajon Rondo vs Rafer Alston 

vs 
Ray Allen vs Courtney Lee 

vs 
Paul Pierce vs Hedo Turkoglu

vs 
Glen Davis vs Rashard Lewis (If Big Baby isn't suspended)

vs
Kendrick Perkins vs Dwight Howard

Reserves
Stephon Marbury
Mikki Moore
Eddie House
Leon Powe
Gabe Pruitt
Bill Walker
JR Giddens

Injuries
Tony Allen (thumb)  out
Kevin Garnett (knee) out
Brian Scalabrine (head) out
Rajon Rondo (ankle) probable

Reserves
Brian Cook
Courtney Lee
Tony Battie
Marcin Gortat
Adonal Foyle
Jeremy Richardson
Keith Bogans
Anthony Johnson
JJ Redick
Mickael Pietrus
Tyronn Lue

Injuries
Jameer Nelson (labrum)  out

Key Matchups
  vs 
Rajon Rondo vs Rafer Alston
This will be Rondo's first matchup vs Alston as the Magic point guard.  Alston is a good ball handler and a good defender.     Rondo has an advantage with his speed and will need to use it to get the better of this matchup.   

vs 
Kendrick Perkins vs Dwight Howard 
Dwight Howard is the heart of the Magic's offense and defense.   When he is on his game, it is impossible to stop him. Perk has been playing great defense and the Celtics will need him to try to stop Howard with single coverage so that they don't open up the Magic's deadly outside shooters. 

HonorableMention
Paul Pierce vs Hedo Turkoglu 
Turkoglu always seems to have a big game against the Celtics. Who can forget his game winning shot vs the Celtics last season?   In their win over the Nets on Friday, Turkoglu hit two big shots down the stretch to give the Magic the win.  He is their clutch shooter down the stretch and Pierce's defense is going to be tested in trying to stop him from taking over if it is a close game. 

Connections
Doc Rivers coached the Magic from 1999-2004
Tony Battie played for the Celtics from 1999-2004
Mickael Pietrus, Adonal Foyle,  and Patrick O'Bryant were teammates in Golden State
Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis were teammates in Seattle
Keith Bogans and Rajon Rondo are former Kentucky Wildcats
Keith Bogans and Eddie House were teammates in Charlotte
Anthony Johnson and Scal were teammates in New Jersey
Anthony Johnson played for Doc in Orlando
Clifford Ray was an assistant for the Magic and mentored Dwight Howard in his first years in the league. 

Keys to the Game
Focus:  The Celtics are coming off a huge win against the Cavs and they must keep their focus on winning and not have a let down vs the Magic who are just as much in the hunt for home court advantage as the Celtics and Cavs.   

Defense   The Celtics are capable of lock down defense when they choose to play it as we saw from the Cavs game.  There have been times this season when they have forgotten to bring it.   The Magic are tough inside and they are also a very good 3 point shooting team.  The Celtics need tough defense both in the paint and on the perimeter.  It will once again fall on the Celtics bigs to shut down the paint. 

Take Care of the Ball   The Magic are a good fast break team and if the Celtics get sloppy with the ball, the Magic will make them pay with points off turnovers.   The Celtics have turned the ball over way too much this season but had just 8 turnovers vs the Cavs.  Let's hope this trend continues because it will be a big key to winning. 

X-Factor
Let Down Game
After a huge game against the Cavs, it would be easy to have a let down in the next game.  But, this game is right up there in importance with the Cavs game.  The Magic are right on the Celtics' heels for home court advantage and are playing good basketball since they replaced the injured Nelson with Alston.  The Celtics can't afford a let down in any games or the Cavs can surge ahead of the Celtics again and so they need to bring it vs the Magic just as they did vs the Cavs.   

Re: Orlando Magic (45-16) vs Boston Celtics (49-14) 3/8
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 05:38:20 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
I like early games. I don't need to be waiting all day for them. : )

Anyways, Pierce played 45 minutes last night. Maybe it won't be a big deal because he has a day to rest, but I hope he doesn't have to play 40+ minutes again. All about leaving the big minutes for the playoffs, it is.

It was emphasized how the bigs killed the Cavs' interior without Ben Wallace in there. I think it's safe to say that Wallace is not Howard, and the C's interior will have their hands full. I sure hope BBD isn't suspended, because having Powe start (I'd assume) and only Moore off the bench would be very unsettling.

Anyways, it's another big game against the #3 team in the East, and hopefully the C's don't have that dreaded let down.

And lastly, go C's! : )

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 05:47:13 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Why isn't this game on ABC?

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 05:47:21 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i think the biggest point on defense is going to be handling rashard lewis....orlando love the 3 and bsoton needs to defend that...baby had a ton of success last time vs the magic

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 06:12:43 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
Why isn't this game on ABC?

We've had games on ABC in 3 out of the last 4 weeks, including the last three. It's no biggie. : )

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 06:18:58 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
TP for the preview! :)

I really enjoy the Sunday games because they are the only ones I can see during the evening or the end of the afternoon! Thanks to the time difference from USA to France I don't have to wait 2 am to watch the Celtics play like I usually do.

I hope the Celtics will be as motivated as they were against Cleveland for this game. My fear is that the Magic's shooters go crazy against the Celtics because their defense beyond the three point line is one their biggest weaknesses in my opinion.

However, I predict that the Celtics bench will make a huge difference (it would be nice to see Starbury having a big game) and that the Magic won't be able to challenge the C's for long, getting blown-out in the 4th quarter. Go C's!

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 11:09:46 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Thsnks for the TP Drucci

The Cavs beat the Heat tonight so if we want to keep pace with them and not fall back to a game behind again, we need to win this game. 

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 12:20:49 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
With the TP FL got from me, she is 5 (five)
away from 1000. Let's make it happen, guys...

Go Celtics!

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 12:22:00 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458

Go Celtics!

4 away.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 12:34:47 AM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
This is probably one of those matchups that looks worse on paper than it actually is, especially with the way the Celtics help each other out on defense, but Big Baby vs. Rashard Lewis? Does Baby have a chance of being able to guard him?

Although I know Doc wouldn't mess with his lineup and start him, this seems like a good game to put Leon in early and go to him often. With Leon at power forward, we can turn the tables on the quicker Lewis' offensive advantage by posting Leon up against Lewis. Leon can easily muscle Lewis underneath the basketball whenever he wants to for an easy lay in.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 01:10:49 AM »

Offline scurvmeister

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 30

Go Celtics!

4 away.

1 away!

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 01:22:20 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan

Go Celtics!

4 away.

1 away!

Anyone?

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 01:34:55 AM »

Offline aurora11

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 3

Go Celtics!

4 away.

1 away!

Anyone?

How can I NOT help out.  I've lurked those threads for like every game :P  TP for you FLCeltsFan!
Hold Fast Hope.

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 01:51:02 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan

Go Celtics!

4 away.

1 away!

Anyone?

How can I NOT help out.  I've lurked those threads for like every game :P  TP for you FLCeltsFan!

A TP for giving a TP  :)
Thanks!

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 09:19:23 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
TP for FLCF...three blind mice officiating today's game is J.DeRosa,,D.Stafford,P.Fraher. :)