Author Topic: Who would be on Boston's Mount Rushmore of sports?  (Read 22854 times)

Re: Who would be on Boston's Mount Rushmore of sports?
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2009, 06:05:39 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
C'mon what about Donny Marshall?lol
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2009, 02:18:03 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
This is an awesome thread

Who I would expect to be up there would be

Orr, Brady, Larry, and Ted

I just think those guys are the most loved, although I could see Red getting in there and nobody would argue, but he already has a statue.

Who I'd want to be there in terms of taking my boy to see it and then telling him the stories

Flutie
Viniateri
Orr
Schilling
Larry

Yeah that's right. I'd have 5. And if it were up to me they'd go to the real Mount Rushmore and get Reagan in there and if they couldn't fit him then cut off Jefferson.

« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2009, 02:30:01 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1565
Not a Boston native and really can't stand any team aside from the Celtics, so I'm probably not qualified for this, but here would be mine

Bird, Red, the Hoodie, and Teddie Ballgame

apologies to Russell, Brady, Orr, Bourque, and Kid Nichols
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2009, 02:58:55 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Boston would need more than four sculptures.

There is no way you could omit Ted Williams, Bobby Orr, Bill Russell, Tom Brady,Bill Belichick, Larry Bird, Bob Cousy, Carl Yazstremski, John Havlicek or Red Auerbach.

That's 10 sculptures.

« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2009, 03:01:15 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 746
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Red, Bird, Orr and Teddy Ballgame

« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2009, 03:06:08 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

There is no way you could omit Ted Williams, Bobby Orr, Bill Russell, Tom Brady,Bill Belichick, Larry Bird, Bob Cousy, Carl Yazstremski, John Havlicek or Red Auerbach.

That's 10 sculptures.

Brickowski is right that you'd be omitting guys that are considered possibly the best to ever play. If Brady wins one more ring he's basically the best QB that ever played. Russell, Cousy, and Red revolutionized everything they touched.  Belichek is one of only two coaches to coach a perfect regular season.  Ted's the last guy to hit over .400.  There's just no way to have more.

Holy moly. We are the greatest sports town in the world. That clinches it. I don't think there's any other town that can boast maybe a top 5 franchise in every major sport and a local Heisman winner. The Celts are #1. The Pats have to at least be in the top 7 or something, the Bruins are at least top 5, and the Red Sox are at least top 5.  Plus we have the best marathon

I don't think any other city can do that. Rangers, Yankees, Giants, Knicks?  I don't think so.

Bulls, Bears, Cubs, Blackhawks?  Close but no.

I know. I know. I'm realizing this just now? I wonder why we are so blessed.

« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2009, 03:24:25 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
Bill Russell, Orr,Williams, Brady

« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2009, 08:53:18 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1565

That's 10 sculptures.

Brickowski is right that you'd be omitting guys that are considered possibly the best to ever play. If Brady wins one more ring he's basically the best QB that ever played. Russell, Cousy, and Red revolutionized everything they touched.  Belichek is one of only two coaches to coach a perfect regular season.  Ted's the last guy to hit over .400.  There's just no way to have more.

Holy moly. We are the greatest sports town in the world. That clinches it. I don't think there's any other town that can boast maybe a top 5 franchise in every major sport and a local Heisman winner. The Celts are #1. The Pats have to at least be in the top 7 or something, the Bruins are at least top 5, and the Red Sox are at least top 5.  Plus we have the best marathon

I don't think any other city can do that. Rangers, Yankees, Giants, Knicks?  I don't think so.

the Bruins are not a top 5 hockey franchise.  And frankly I wouldn't be so sure the Red Sox or Patriots are top 5 franchises.  Mere rebirths of late doesn't negate the decades upon decades prior. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2009, 09:07:17 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

That's 10 sculptures.

the Bruins are not a top 5 hockey franchise.  And frankly I wouldn't be so sure the Red Sox or Patriots are top 5 franchises.  Mere rebirths of late doesn't negate the decades upon decades prior. 

The Pats are tied with 4 other franchises and behind 3 for 3rd most Super Bowl wins. All those teams have had many down years, but the Pats are the only one with a perfect regular season so yes they are. Pre-NFL/AFL merger stuff doesn't count

The Red Sox have the 3rd most World Series titles just ahead of the Dodgers, Reds, Pirates, San Francisco Giants, and Tigers all of whom haven't won one in well over a decade so yes they are

The Bruins have the 5th most Stanley Cup wins, the longest post season streak ever, and the best player in league history. So yes they are