Author Topic: Which baseball players would really shock you if they were caught with steroids  (Read 17496 times)

Offline OriginalODb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 31
I was listening to WEEI today and a couple people remarked that they were truely floored by the news that A-rod had tested positive. My question is are there any players out there that would completly suprise you if they were caught using HGH/steroids. I still have a couple, probably more if I realy thought about it

I would be really shocked if Manny or Jeter were found to have been cheating. (Originally I was going to put Griffey on this list as well but the more I thought about it, it wouldn't be too suprising) Another one would be Gabe Kapler, only because I remember reading an SI article about his weight lifting habits and how he volunteered to take a urine test and passed)

I would be incredibly  sad if Ellis Burks was on any of those lists. He was my favorite player growing up and I adopted any team he went to as my 1A favorite.

Are there any that would truely shock you

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I would be really shocked if they said Jason Bay were using roids.

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
David Eckstein.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Kapler was released from the Rockies because of steroids.  It wasn't public knowledge but I heard it from a very reliable source.  I mean really, just look at the guy.

The only guy on the Sox who it would shock me would be Beckett.  Anyone else, including Pedroia, wouldn't.
God bless and good night!

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Kapler was released from the Rockies because of steroids.  It wasn't public knowledge but I heard it from a very reliable source.  I mean really, just look at the guy.

The only guy on the Sox who it would shock me would be Beckett.  Anyone else, including Pedroia, wouldn't.

Really? Even Lugo? The guy's a stick.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186
Surly not Nomar!

I am guessing this is in reference to the late 90's early 00's.

Pedro, due to his size and his breaking down.  Same for Wakefield.  

Timlin, Embry, Varitek, & Nomar would not surprise me.

I am on the fence over Millar & Mueller.
Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Greg Maddux.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

Not claiming to be an expert in the subject, but steroid usage does not necessarily equate to bloatedness/massive gain a la Bonds/Clemens/McGwire.  Certain types of steroids can be taken in, and with the proper workout regimen be used to build tone/speed a la Lugo, Soriano, etc.

I know it's OT: but is there any real reason to ban steroids other than the undeniably bad message it sends to the youth?  I mean, I could beef up on steroids and it doesn't mean i'm going to be able to hit a baseball.  Roids =/= skill.  Why doesn't the league just allow it instead of making for all these "scandals" and singling out players when the whole [dang] league is doing it?
God bless and good night!

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

Not claiming to be an expert in the subject, but steroid usage does not necessarily equate to bloatedness/massive gain a la Bonds/Clemens/McGwire.  Certain types of steroids can be taken in, and with the proper workout regimen be used to build tone/speed a la Lugo, Soriano, etc.

I know it's OT: but is there any real reason to ban steroids other than the undeniably bad message it sends to the youth?  I mean, I could beef up on steroids and it doesn't mean i'm going to be able to hit a baseball.  Roids =/= skill.  Why doesn't the league just allow it instead of making for all these "scandals" and singling out players when the whole [dang] league is doing it?

Because they are/can be dangerous.  the potential negative health effects are huge. 

As for who I would be shocked about...looking at recent Sox players, I would be surprised to hear names like Gabe Kapler (even though he was jacked...I got the sense it was more a result of overall nutrition/obsessive working out).  I would be surprised if someone like Kevin Millar was involved. 

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Felix Pie...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3780
  • Yup
Kurt Bevacqua
Yup

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
I would be shocked if Manny Ramirez were caught. But above all, I just hope that Ortiz doesn't use steroids. It's one thing if a home run record had an asterisk, but if Ortiz were to be caught for steroid usage, 2 World Series titles would have asterisks.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Dustin Pedroia. I would not, however, be surprised to find out he abused coffee as a preteen.

Offline OriginalODb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 31
Dustin Pedroia. I would not, however, be surprised to find out he abused coffee as a preteen.

TP

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.

i bet he's happy that his last name isn't peroida...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."