Author Topic: If You Redo The Draft's, We have four top five Picks on our team.  (Read 2670 times)

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Ray Allen was drafted 5th, and Camby Shareef and Stephon were drafted ahead of him.

As stated yesterday here, The 2006 draft done over again would put Rondo in the top 5 with Roy, Gay, and Aldridge the only clear cut guys you would want over Rondo.

Pierce most likely goes #1 in the draft now. Unless you want Dirk, Jamison, Carter, Bibby or the Kandy man. I'll take pierce.

And Kg went 5th. But he is the undisputed number one pick. Unless you want Stack, Sheed, Or Joe Smith. The only thing Mchale ever got right was that pick.

So how about that we have two number one picks on our squad and two more top five picks. And what does that get ya???

A championship. Hopefully three more.

Re: If You Redo The Draft's, We have four top five Picks on our team.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 03:37:35 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'm not sure that Pierce would definitely go #1 in his draft; a lot of teams would probably prefer Dirk, I think, whereas others would go with Pierce.  I doubt Carter or Jamison would get much consideration.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 04:13:55 PM »

Offline noro

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
  • Welcome to the Loud House
Perk would most likely be a top 15 pick in 2003 as well.
2003 National Champions

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 04:43:48 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1714
I think you also have to look at the needs of the teams when they were drafting.  Paul Pierce might be drafted lower than his value because the teams that passed on him were set at the wing positions for a long time, for example.  It would be similar to the Celtics drafting Derrick Rose last year, had they had the pick.  Derrick Rose was widely considered to be the best asset in that draft on draft day, but we already have our point guard of the future in Rondo, so Danny probably would have either traded the pick or picked somebody who fit the team's needs better - maybe Mayo for scoring off the bench and to take over for Ray in a couple of years.

It's actually an interesting thing to think about - I wonder who Danny would have taken had we somehow ended up with the first pick that night. 

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 06:02:20 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I think you also have to look at the needs of the teams when they were drafting.  Paul Pierce might be drafted lower than his value because the teams that passed on him were set at the wing positions for a long time, for example.  It would be similar to the Celtics drafting Derrick Rose last year, had they had the pick.  Derrick Rose was widely considered to be the best asset in that draft on draft day, but we already have our point guard of the future in Rondo, so Danny probably would have either traded the pick or picked somebody who fit the team's needs better - maybe Mayo for scoring off the bench and to take over for Ray in a couple of years.

It's actually an interesting thing to think about - I wonder who Danny would have taken had we somehow ended up with the first pick that night. 

#1 and Scals to Portland for Portland's pick Outlaw and Rodriguez

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 06:08:22 PM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
I think Sam I Am goes top 5 in 1993 re-do.

Webber, Penny, then all bets would be off with Sam, Alan Houston, Mashburn, JR Rider, Gin Baker, Lindsey Hunter and our man Rodney Rogers battling for 3-5
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 07:52:32 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I don't know.  When you have a chance to draft a really special player I think you take him and figure it out later.  You could always trade the excess talent at one position and probably get a really good deal.  Especially a lottery team in a rebuilding phase I think you should just try to aquire the best talent possible then you have extra chips to trade for needs later.  Your comparison with the Celtics drafting Rose is very unlikely.   Very few championship caliber teams will have a chance at a lottery pick so it's mostly teams looking to upgrade their talent base that have a chance to draft a special talent.