Author Topic: Who's your favorite sport's analyst(retired player)?  (Read 9723 times)

Who's your favorite sport's analyst(retired player)?
« on: November 30, 2008, 07:33:27 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Im asking you who is your favorite xplayer because lately quite a few retired players have come on the scene as basketball analysts,announcers or whatever you want to describe them as.Steve Smith x player for several teams during his career in the NBA best connect him with the Atlanta Hawks is my favorite analyst these days .Smith is presently a analyst for NBA.tv where he gives NBA news, highlight,and analysis of games being played most nights.Why i like him best is,Steve is unbias about all players,teams in the NBA.He lets you know how he feels about his old teams hoping they win on any given night,but he also tells what their weaknesses are and where they need to improve.He also tells it like it is around the NBA including our beloved Celtics...he is the only xplayer in his position i here speak of the C's as the champs,and is still the team to beat without hesitation.He always gives Ray,Paul and KG a lot of respect in his analysis.He gives Perk and Rondo high marks on most nights when they play well.Unlike some other analysts(xplayers) lately, he gives credit when and where its due.Give me your opinions and best xplayer turn analyst? 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 08:27:19 AM by housecall »

Re: Who's your favorite sport's analyst(retired player)?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 07:37:17 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Anyone who isn't Rick Barry. I like Charles and Kenny, good chemistry and more often than not make a case - more so Kenny, I just find Charles comical.

Pretty much all of those TNT guys though, Reggie and Steve Kerr pre-Phoenix GM days. Marc Jackson is a very good commentator, always like it when he's on the game along with JVG.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 08:16:18 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
Anyone who isn't Rick Barry. I like Charles and Kenny, good chemistry and more often than not make a case - more so Kenny, I just find Charles comical.

Pretty much all of those TNT guys though, Reggie and Steve Kerr pre-Phoenix GM days. Marc Jackson is a very good commentator, always like it when he's on the game along with JVG.
thanks for your comments,but im still wondering which (1) is your favorite? :)

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 09:36:30 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
The Mark Jackson/Jeff Van gundy combo is awesome.  Bill Walton was off the deep end but I always was highly entertained by him.  Worst analyst- Reggie Miller.  He is horrible- surprisingly dumb for a hall of fame type player, who played an intelligent game.  And no sense of humor either.  A benefit if he played for the C's last year would be that it would have kept him out of the booth.

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 09:50:14 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3782
  • Yup
I'll be a homer.

Yup

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 10:22:50 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Webber and Gary Payton are great on NBA tv. If I had to choose 1 from those guys, it would be Webber. I love how honest both of them are about other players.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 12:32:15 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 02:42:04 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Walt Frazier, Kenny Smith, I dont think Gregg Anthony ever did games but I always liked his analysis post game on espn.

Mark Jackson is ok, but if JVG wasnt there, he'd annoy me.

As far as just being funny goes....Barkley, Bill Walton, and Heinson.

Some of my favorite Bill Walton lines...

"Antoine Walker...dribbling the ball up the court with the left hand, shades of Bob Petit."

"The Boston Celtics vs. The Phildelhpia 76ers, a historic rivalry, from the days of Bill Russell vs Wilt Chamberlain, to the new age of Mark Blount vs. Samuel Dalembert, a seemless transition from one generation to the next."

Funniest Tommy Heinson moment is the game against the Seattle Sonics, years ago when he kept calling Vladamir Radmonovic a Russian Tank Driver.

...As far as most hated goes, just in general, ex player or not....Reggie Miller....Mike Tirico....Steve Buckantz who does the games for the Washington Wizards, He'll scream "Dagger" after a wizards basket putting them up 10 with 8 minutes left in the game among other things.....and the most hated of all, the guy who use to do Detriot Pistons games, I think he does Clevelands now....man do I hate that guy with a passion.

Sorry if I'm kind of hijacking the thread, I dont know his name but that old Pistons broadcaster Ive hated with a passion ever since a Celts/Pistons game years ago when he made some very irritating comments about Tony Allen (who was a rookie) after Tayshaun Prince blocked his shot.

One advantage of having league pass is you get a taste of every teams homer broadcasters and learn to be very irritated by them.  It has been very fun over the past year though because we've been a championship team, and instead of hearing broadcasters making cocky comments when we play them, we get to hear them talk about why the Celtics are so much better than them.

Sorry again for the thread hijacking.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 02:49:38 PM by greg683x »
Greg

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 03:13:24 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
Walt Frazier, Kenny Smith, I dont think Gregg Anthony ever did games but I always liked his analysis post game on espn.

"Antoine Walker...dribbling the ball up the court with the left hand, shades of Bob Petit."

"The Boston Celtics vs. The Phildelhpia 76ers, a historic rivalry, from the days of Bill Russell vs Wilt Chamberlain, to the new age of Mark Blount vs. Samuel Dalembert, a seemless transition from one generation to the next."

Funniest Tommy Heinson moment is the game against the Seattle Sonics, years ago when he kept calling Vladamir Radmonovic a Russian Tank Driver.

...As far as most hated goes, just in general, ex player or not....Reggie Miller....Mike Tirico....Steve Buckantz who does the games for the Washington Wizards, He'll scream "Dagger" after a wizards basket putting them up 10 with 8 minutes left in the game among other things.....and the most hated of all, the guy who use to do Detriot Pistons games, I think he does Clevelands now....man do I hate that guy with a passion.

Sorry if I'm kind of hijacking the thread, I dont know his name but that old Pistons broadcaster Ive hated with a passion ever since a Celts/Pistons game years ago when he made some very irritating comments about Tony Allen (who was a rookie) after Tayshaun Prince blocked his shot.

One advantage of having league pass is you get a taste of every teams homer broadcasters and learn to be very irritated by them.  It has been very fun over the past year though because we've been a championship team, and instead of hearing broadcasters making cocky comments when we play them, we get to hear them talk about why the Celtics are so much better than them.

thats exactly the kind of walton quotes that crack me up.  Funny stuff!

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 03:56:44 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Clyde, Tommy, JVG and Mike Fratello, assuming the last two at least played college or high school. Walton is merely amusing, at least if you like nosense, Van Gundy is the best overall.

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 04:06:41 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff

I don't feel you hijacked the thread,your comments were to the point,and provided good info.I have had some of the same experiences when i added NBA.tv,with Steven Smith being more like Greg Anthony was for ESPN,providing highlights,analysis,etc.,but does the same as you say with your league pass guys,"they talk about what other teams need to do in order to get to the Celtics level.It is fun watching it and listening to unbias comments.tp for your post. :)

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 04:13:15 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2438
Tommy is my favourite too

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 04:20:59 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 04:27:22 PM by housecall »

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 04:22:53 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
Tommy is my favourite too
Tommy is my favorite on the air for the Celtics also...when i started the thread i should have been more specific and excluded home team analysts.How can i not love Tommy,i should have said other than our own.tp for you. :)

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 06:09:38 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I have to go with Kenny Smith, though he doesn't call games. He is intelligent, insightful, and balanced. He should run for governor before Barkley.

The weirdest is Brad Daughtery doing Nascar analysis for ESPN. That surprised me the one time I watched Sportscenter in the last year.

I like Cedric Maxwell too, especially when he is a guest on the afternoon sports radio shows. Hilarious. It would be fun if he did more Celtics TV games.

For baseball, Ron Darling is my favorite. Very insightful and intelligent. I'm glad to see him get picked up for national broadcasts, so long as he continues to do Mets broadcasts too. We need someone like him for the Celtics, who is insightful, has history with the team, and is balanced. Max is a little too goofy to fit that role.