Author Topic: Have you ever dated someone who roots for a rival?  (Read 6176 times)

Have you ever dated someone who roots for a rival?
« on: November 20, 2008, 02:51:06 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
This is somewhat a meaningless video, but I thought I would share it anyway.  It's a simple yet interesting concept - An attractive girl enters a Boston bar during one of the 2008 NBA Championship games wearing a Kobe Bryant jersey and tries to see how many guys she can get to buy her a drink.

http://player.theplatform.com/ps/player/pds/Jp9ndSWK25?pid=fTjC7zip2ig0Jx9sUuC__AtC_JRIsHvS

Not that I honestly care, but I was entertained by the fact that so many people jokingly gave her a hard time.  This video led me to wonder, how many of you have or had a boyfriend/girlfriend who roots for a rival of a Boston sports team?  Any good stories?

Re: Have you ever dated someone who roots for a rival?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 02:56:41 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1648
  • What a Pub Should Be
Dated a girl a year or two back who was from Long Island and was a diehard Yankees fan.  One of our first dates was a Sox-Yankees game at Fenway.  Of course, I rocked the Sox gear while she was wearing Yankees attire.  (Sidebar:  Girls in baseball caps are a definite plus in my book, even if its a Yankees hat) Anyways, it was the game where the Sox hit 4 consecutive home runs.  Sox also won that game.  That toned her down.  She ended up being a really cool girl but we're no longer together.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 03:09:02 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Well, my GF is from Philly, and her whole family are Sixers and Eagles fans.  But luckily she was easily influenced, and after a couple of games, she became a big Celtics fan.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 03:25:31 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Few people will understand this, but I went out with an Arsenal fan. And I hate Arsenal. That didn't play a part in the break-up, but then again it's possible that something inside of me pushed me away for that reason alone.

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 03:27:45 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Dated a girl a year or two back who was from Long Island and was a diehard Yankees fan.  One of our first dates was a Sox-Yankees game at Fenway.  Of course, I rocked the Sox gear while she was wearing Yankees attire.  (Sidebar:  Girls in baseball caps are a definite plus in my book, even if its a Yankees hat) Anyways, it was the game where the Sox hit 4 consecutive home runs.  Sox also won that game.  That toned her down.  She ended up being a really cool girl but we're no longer together.

side note plus: defintly, though only if the rock the ponytail. Bunched up long hair under the cap, not so hot.

Side side note: I really dig shoulder length hair, i've never dated a girl with short hair.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 03:33:14 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I can't do it.  Girls who have even joked about liking the Yankees and Lakers have really rubbed me the wrong way.  I've dated fans of other sports teams, but never somebody who rooted for one of our hated rivals.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 03:46:32 PM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
I'm with Roy...I cant do it.

I "talked" to a girl that who claimed to be one of the Patriots/Yankees fans and it made me so frustrated to see a girl rocking a Brady jersey and trying to explain to me why Arod is more clutch that Papi.
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 04:05:20 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics

I had a similar situation with a Long Island girl.  The only sport she really cared about was baseball.  Luckily we dated during a time when the Sox were the better team, made it a lot easier.

She didn't really care about the Knicks so she watched and cheered for the Celtics because she knew my mood depended on the games.  Come to think of it I probably should've kept her around...
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 04:24:50 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
When I first started dating my gf, it was obvious she was not into sports, which was just fine and dandy with me. Then, through multiple dates/conversations, I discovered that she didn't really know anything about sports because none of her ex-boyfriends were into sports (weirdos). After quickly discovering how passionate I am about sports, and the Celtics in particular, she took an interest. That interest has blossomed into fandom (if that's even a word), and now she's asking me when the next game is, lol. She was easily influenced and despite being brand new to the game, she really enjoys it and finds solid entertainment out of it.

To date, we've watched 5 celtics games together, and she knows the entire starting lineup. She calls Perkins "the big scary man", she calls KG "the purple man" (because of his dark complexion - not intended to be/sound racist at all), she calls Ray Allen "Jesus", she calls Paul "the 4th quarter guy" and Rondo "the sneaky guy".

That's about all I got, we move in together in a month and I'm super pumped.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 05:36:21 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Never dated a fan of another team, but my current girlfriend had no sports allegiances, I have since converted her to like all my teams.

In regards to that video, I wouldn't buy her a drink because buying girls drinks is a waste of money, I could care less what shirt she has on. Never, ever buy a stranger a drink, a lot of girls go out just to see how many free drinks they can get, and look at guys that buy them as suckers. If a guy buys a girl a drink, he's a sucker, if a girl buys a guy a drink, well then you my friend have found a gem.

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 05:41:45 PM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
LOL, I went to that game too.

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 03:07:01 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I honestly wouldn't care because the Celtics are better. You can't hate someone for being worse than you are. Just pity them.

However, one of the most awesome thing about having a girlfriend is not having to pander to girls doing things for attention. I like pretending to be anti-attracted to them, because honestly what do I have to lose? My plans are already pretty much taken care of for the night, right?

For instance:
BostonTV girl: Will you buy me a drink?
Me: No.
BTVG: Why not?
Me: Your eyes are too far apart and your hair looks stupid. Like the shirt though.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 03:09:03 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I honestly wouldn't care because the Celtics are better. You can't hate someone for being worse than you are. Just pity them.

However, one of the most awesome thing about having a girlfriend is not having to pander to girls doing things for attention. I like pretending to be anti-attracted to them, because honestly what do I have to lose? My plans are already pretty much taken care of for the night, right?

For instance:
Me: Your eyes are too far apart and your hair looks stupid. Like the shirt though.

And the crazy thing is, after that exchange, she probably is even more attracted to you.

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 03:14:06 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

For instance:

And the crazy thing is, after that exchange, she probably is even more attracted to you.

Warning: Clip is pg-13, but highly accurate. This is how life really works. And its why I love Jason Segel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK8ickjX4lI

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 03:16:28 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

For instance:

Warning: Clip is pg-13, but highly accurate. This is how life really works. And its why I love Jason Segel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK8ickjX4lI

TP.  I think that is one of the more underrated movies out there.  It is much more entertaining than most of the college based comedies that have come out in the last 10 years or so.