Author Topic: Coco Crisp reportedly traded  (Read 10988 times)

Coco Crisp reportedly traded
« on: November 19, 2008, 10:00:11 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
According to Brian McRae reporting for Sports Radio 810 in Kansas City, the Royals acquired Coco Crisp from the Red Sox for reliever Ramon Ramirez.  I emailed McRae to confirm, and he said, "It's a done deal."  The Royals get speed and a capable center fielder, while the Red Sox receive a quality late-game reliever.

Crisp, 29, hit .283/.344/.407 in 409 plate appearances this year.  His center field defense saved 26 bases over the average last year, but was two below this year.  Crisp will earn $5.75MM in '09 and has an $8MM club option with a $500K buyout for '10.

The Red Sox trim payroll here, as Ramirez is not yet arbitration-eligible.  He will not reach free agency until after the 2012 season, so the Red Sox impressively acquired four years of his services.  The 27 year-old posted a 2.64 ERA in 71.2 innings this year while whiffing 70.  The Royals might have to add a reliever to compensate for his absence.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Guy seems pretty solid, but I had hoped for more then a middle reliever who seem to be hot and cold.

Re: Coco Crisp reportedly traded
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 10:03:09 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
wow, im not really happy with this trade.

I mean, coco is no world beater, but he's a gold glove 4th outfielder who has speed and hits 270, was hoping for a bit more than a (imo) pretty crappy MRP.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 10:03:39 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3782
  • Yup
Well, Elsbury's got to step it up now.  Coco redeemed himself this year.  Good luck in KC.
Yup

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 10:11:42 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
I guess it leads to a few questions:

1. are they going to flip Ramirez as part of a trade for a catcher?

2. are they going to keep Ramirez and flip someone like Delcarmen or Masterson as part of a trade for a catcher?

3. are they trying to clear some additional cap space in a push for Tex (they dont seem to have any need to cut salary, but who knows)

4. is Masterson going back to the starting rotation (meaning, maybe the Wake rumors are true)

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 10:24:35 AM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 354
I guess it leads to a few questions:

1. are they going to flip Ramirez as part of a trade for a catcher?

2. are they going to keep Ramirez and flip someone like Delcarmen or Masterson as part of a trade for a catcher?

3. are they trying to clear some additional cap space in a push for Tex (they dont seem to have any need to cut salary, but who knows)

4. is Masterson going back to the starting rotation (meaning, maybe the Wake rumors are true)

5. Will Ramirez wear #24 so I don't have to rip out the stitching of my jersey and pretend it's a Dwight Evans replica?   ;)   I'll probably do that anyways.

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 10:54:51 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The similarities in Ramirez's stats and those of Manny Delcarmen are eerily similar, almost to the point of being exactly the same. Also, they both have above average curves and like to leave the heat high.

My guess is if the Coco trade is happening, either Ramirez or  Delcarmen or Masterson are gone in another trade. Something big.

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 10:58:31 AM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I actually like this trade on it's surface, even assuming that none of the dominoes  suggested above me fall( subsequent trades, Masterson to the rotation). I like the idea of a deep pen. What's wrong of having the luxury of Papps, JM, OKI, MDC, and now this guy as the top 5 guys coming out of the bullpen in a 162 game season? If we had another arm last year, we may have won game 2 against the Rays, either by yanking Beckett an inning earlier, or not having to resort to Timlin in the 12th.

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 11:00:45 AM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202
Last year we all would have been pleased with this, but I think this year we saw a healthy Coco and giving up an every day centerfielder for a set up man is a bit iffy.

Rocco Baldelli can't be too far behind then (as a 4th outfielder).
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 11:06:23 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Last year we all would have been pleased with this, but I think this year we saw a healthy Coco and giving up an every day centerfielder for a set up man is a bit iffy.

Rocco in Red Sox would be awesome. I think it would be a brilliant signing.

Also, let's not forget to add Javier Lopez to that bullpen list. He was excellent last year and a bullpen with Paps, Masterson, Okijima, Manny, Lopez and this kid Ramirez would be excellent with only the need for a long relief guy needed to fill the bullpen up. Of course that guy will probably be our sixth starter, in reality, waiting for someone to get injured.

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 11:10:56 AM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown

Also, let's not forget to add Javier Lopez to that bullpen list. He was excellent last year and a bullpen with Paps, Masterson, Okijima, Manny, Lopez and this kid Ramirez would be excellent with only the need for a long relief guy needed to fill the bullpen up. Of course that guy will probably be our sixth starter, in reality, waiting for someone to get injured.

I would think that a Ramirez acquisition would move Masterson to the starting rotation (not sure where Clay fits in) -- but what confuses things a bit is the fact that the Sox are in negotiations with AJ Burnett (although they could be just driving the $$ for the Yankees).

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 11:14:26 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

couple things:

Baldelli is flawed for our needs in the sense that he cant play everyday for an extended period of time.  while we want him as a fourth OF, with guys like Drew, chances are he would be needed for a extended stay at some point.

I think it likely increases the chances that we try and convince Kotsay to resign (he can play all 3 of and 1b)

Javier Lopez is a FA, so he is no guarantee to be back.

as for this guy being like MDC, I'd argue he is better then MDC.  Ramirez gave up 2 homers all year.  his FB isnt nearly as fast as MDC, but his secondary pitches are significantly better (simply because he can actually locate pitches consistently).

Also,
10:02am: Red Sox exec Ben Cherington was on XM's MLB Home Plate radio station recently.  He says "the report is premature."
maybe more moving parts...

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 11:17:07 AM »

Offline TripleThreat

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7

I would think that a Ramirez acquisition would move Masterson to the starting rotation (not sure where Clay fits in) -- but what confuses things a bit is the fact that the Sox are in negotiations with AJ Burnett (although they could be just driving the $$ for the Yankees).

I think the Red Sox are legitimately pursuing Burnett. When the Sox traded away Arroyo a few years ago they were bit by the injury bug and were down a starter. I don't think its ever a bad thing to carry 6 or more potential starters.

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 11:26:02 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
This is an interesting trade.  It is certainly not the exciting kind of trade we all love to hear about, but it seems like a pretty smart move.  Ramirez is another young, cost controlled reliever, who could really help to solidify the back end of their bullpen.  It allows them a lot more flexibility to be able to move Masterson to the rotation, or possibly trade him in a bigger deal.  It also could make someone like Delcarmen available. 

I think the biggest plus though, is that the Sox were able to get a back of the bullpen reliever without having to shell out big bucks for some guy on the open market. 

Certainly it is tough to see Crisp go after the way he finished last year, but he simply didn't have a permanent home here, and a $6 million a year 4th outfielder simply is not necessary. 

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 11:32:27 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
WEEI.com is confirming it.

http://www.weei.com/

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 11:32:41 AM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
CAFARDO CONFIRMS TRADE   (from Boston.com)

The Red Sox have traded center fielder Coco Crisp to the Royals for righthanded relief pitcher Ramon Ramirez, the Globe's Nick Cafardo has confirmed.

The deal was first reported this morning on Kansas City sports radio station WHB 810 by Brian McRae, a former Royals outfielder who is a part owner of the radio station. A Red Sox spokesperson told MLB.com the club had no comment on the report.

Ramirez is an interesting acquisition for the Red Sox -- his arrival would suggest that the ball club is considering using Justin Masterson as a starter.

Reports on the Ramirez say he throws in the low 90s, with an outstanding curveball and a good splitter, but lacks a changeup. He's coming off a very good 2008 season, having posted a 2.64 ERA in 71.2 innings this year while striking out 70. He allowed just two home runs.

Crisp, 29, batted .283 with seven homers, 41 RBIs and 20 stolen bases in 361 at-bats last season, his third in Boston. He started 98 games in center field while sharing the job with rookie Jacoby Ellsbury.

Trading Crisp would clear some payroll for the Red Sox -- he will earn $5.7 million in 2009, with a club option for 2010 for $8 million or a $500,000 buyout.