Author Topic: We could have won 70 games in 2008?  (Read 5852 times)

We could have won 70 games in 2008?
« on: August 27, 2008, 10:00:40 PM »

Offline 2008CELTICS17

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
If you remember alot of the games. Alot of them slipped away! We still one 66 games which does'nt happen often! Only the 71 Bucks won 66. Other teams have won 67,or better of course. Anyways.One game we should of had. After the Texas traiangle sweep.We go in the fourth quarter up on the Hornets. The Celtis up most of the game let it slip.Then the next game same thing with the 76ers.We have 2 buzzer beater games to the Magic,and then to the Warriors.
A one point game lost to the Cavs,and two games lost by two points to the Pistons at home.When Chauncy got a lame foul call with 0.3 seconds to go. Then to the Magic the first loss of the year.We might have won 72 games,but it did'nt matter we got number 17 now!

Re: We could have won 70 games in 2008?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 10:04:31 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
If you remember alot of the games. Alot of them slipped away! We still one 66 games which does'nt happen often! Only the 71 Bucks won 66. Other teams have won 67,or better of course. Anyways.One game we should of had. After the Texas traiangle sweep.We go in the fourth quarter up on the Hornets. The Celtis up most of the game let it slip.Then the next game same thing with the 76ers.We have 2 buzzer beater games to the Magic,and then to the Warriors.
A one point game lost to the Cavs,and two games lost by two points to the Pistons at home.When Chauncy got a lame foul call with 0.3 seconds to go. Then to the Magic the first loss of the year.We might have won 72 games,but it did'nt matter we got number 17 now!

I'm not entirely sure what the overarching message is supposed to be here, but it seems worth mentioning that the flip side to that is that the Celts also snuck away with a few this season.  The early-season Ray Allen trey to beat the 'Cats at the buzzer off of the steal by Pierce and House comes to mind.  So does the January game in Jersey when the team seemed buried in malaise for three quarters before a run sparked by Big Baby and the second teamers brought them roaring back.  It took an Allen buzzer-beater just to win the season's second game in Toronto as well.  Or the Powe lay-up in Minnesota.  The list goes on...that's sports: You get some breaks, you miss some, too.

I'm feeling pretty okay with how it all turned out.  ;D

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 10:36:19 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
I think we could have won 76 games easy.

We really played it cautious with Ray and KG...injury wise too.

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 10:39:33 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
I'm not entirely sure what the overarching message is supposed to be here, but it seems worth mentioning that the flip side to that is that the Celts also snuck away with a few this season.  The early-season Ray Allen trey to beat the 'Cats at the buzzer off of the steal by Pierce and House comes to mind.  So does the January game in Jersey when the team seemed buried in malaise for three quarters before a run sparked by Big Baby and the second teamers brought them roaring back.  It took an Allen buzzer-beater just to win the season's second game in Toronto as well.  Or the Powe lay-up in Minnesota.  The list goes on...that's sports: You get some breaks, you miss some, too.

I'm feeling pretty okay with how it all turned out.  ;D

-sw

i thought the same thing, that we got some wins we necessarily didnt deserve as well, so it all balances out.

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 10:41:58 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
We won 82 games, so no need to worry about only 70.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 10:43:51 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
We won 82 games, so no need to worry about only 70.

lol...thats so true ;D

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 11:19:57 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I really think nothing less than 82 regular season wins is acceptable next year, I mean really, like another team can beat us on any given day? that's crazy. We have Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett AND Ray Allen... they should give us 84 wins in an 82 game season, just to prove the point
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 11:29:03 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3780
  • Yup
I can really only remember a half dozen or so games all year where I felt like the Celts could have given a better effort that perhaps would have translated into a win.  The trip west that started in Denver comes to mind.  A loss at home against Charlotte.  The Washington losses were a bit weird.  Just the fact that I can remember most of the losses tell me all I need to know - there weren't that many!
Yup

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 11:50:19 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I can really only remember a half dozen or so games all year where I felt like the Celts could have given a better effort that perhaps would have translated into a win.  The trip west that started in Denver comes to mind.  A loss at home against Charlotte.  The Washington losses were a bit weird.  Just the fact that I can remember most of the losses tell me all I need to know - there weren't that many!

I went to New Orleans to watch the c's play, and that was one loss I'll remember, still a fun trip and stayed at the same hotel as the c's...
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 12:10:54 AM »

Offline 2008CELTICS17

• Xavier Tillman
I went to the Warrior game against the C's. The heartbreaking buzzer beater by Baron Davis. I can remember there fans thinking they were the best,and they would make the playoffs and do good. We know they have some good fans,and they had a playoff team,but did'nt make it. I knew in my head that bigger and better things were going to come! Of course Number 17 ;D

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 05:05:49 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I would have loved to see
Barkley in Speedos.
But the 'Ship is just fine, too  ;D

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 08:18:04 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
You Win Some, You Lose Some...
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 08:36:29 AM »

Offline pbon

• Neemias Queta
 After what happened to the Patriots last season this should not even be a post. Its how you play at the end that matters

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 09:01:30 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I went to the Warrior game against the C's. The heartbreaking buzzer beater by Baron Davis. I can remember there fans thinking they were the best,and they would make the playoffs and do good. We know they have some good fans,and they had a playoff team,but did'nt make it. I knew in my head that bigger and better things were going to come! Of course Number 17 ;D

I was at that game too.  I took a ton of pictures, and when I get around to dumping them off my memory card, I'll post a link here.  Better late than never, right?

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 09:59:12 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As long as we make the playoffs and win the last game we play in, who cares how many total games we win.

Seems I remember some of those Russell Celtics championships were attained by teams seeded a whole lot lower than #1. Should we give them back because the team didn't win enough regular season games for our satisfaction?