Author Topic: Kobe says Lakers gave up too much for Pau Gasol  (Read 14039 times)

Kobe says Lakers gave up too much for Pau Gasol
« on: August 17, 2008, 08:13:30 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Kobe Bryant doesn't think the Lakers should have given up Marc Gasol in the trade that brought his brother Pau to Los Angeles, according to The Memphis Commercial Appeal.

"In hindsight, we probably didn't have to give him up to get Pau," Bryant said. "We should have kept Marc, too."

Link.

That kind of cracks me up.  Yes, clearly the Lakers overpaid.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Kobe says Lakers gave up too much for Pau Gasol
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 08:15:41 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 08:41:32 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Probably cs needed to give DW to get Ray because they wanted Rondo ( suposed to)
but I am pretty sure that parting with Big al theo and all company was enough to get KG without giving Gomes
thats the thing with those kind of deals
interested team have to give and give and robably overgive in order to get something valuable

Just like we did, and they did
Mark is a VERY good player
probably Kobe saw at the olympics the kind of center he miss at finals
My 2 cents
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 08:47:31 PM by Edgar »
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 08:43:20 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
The most ridiculous thing I've heard in months. Yeah, Kobe, Kupchak should have traded Kwame for Gasol straight up.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 08:56:24 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
This thread is quite deceptive on what was actually meant. There's nothing ridiculous about this.  It's as if Pierce came right now and said "In hindsight, we probably didn't have to give Gomes up to get Garnett".

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 09:03:17 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
This thread is quite deceptive on what was actually meant. There's nothing ridiculous about this.  It's as if Pierce came right now and said "In hindsight, we probably didn't have to give Gomes up to get Garnett".

I think it's funny.  Kobe is suggesting that the Lakers should have given up less for Pau than they actually did.  Thus, they overpaid.  There's nothing deceptive about that at all.

And yes, if Pierce started saying "we should have kept Gomes, too", I'd find that almost as comical.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 09:22:15 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
unless it was stated to Kobe that they threw Marc in and could have possibly used another player in the trade instead.  Now Kobe sees Marc playing well and says the comment. 

Kobe isn't dumb, that was a great trade for them.  But if they could have given up Sasha or Turiaf then "in hindsight" they should have.

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 10:08:28 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
does this guy ever not complain and is he ever happy? i cant stand him!

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 10:22:38 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Yeah. the Subject here is very misleading. Kobe simply was putting out a compliment to Pau's bro about how talented he was. It's obvious the lakers overspent as I think Memphis's plan was to rid themselves of Gasol's contract anyway, and when LA threw in a younger Gasol, they were even more eager to accept. In trades like this and others, I always wonder if the initial team offered smaller packages first just to see if the other team would accept. Look at how long NJ took to give up Kidd. There were at least 3 different public trade possibilities. Oh well, LA is still a good team, and it's crazy to see them get a steal in the 2nd round with Sun Yue. Maybe he's the next Ginobli?

Congrats to myself as this is my 200th post!!!
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 10:25:21 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
It's obvious the lakers overspent as I think Memphis's plan was to rid themselves of Gasol's contract anyway, and when LA threw in a younger Gasol, they were even more eager to accept.

???

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 11:09:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I know this is not the point of this thread, but after watching Gasol in the finals, and his struggles against a top defending team like the Celtics, I feel that the Laker-Memphis trade wasn't such high way robbery. Of course the Lakers got the better of the deal, at least short term, but I feel that Gasol's numbers were somewhat inflated against the offensive oreiented West teams. He is a good player, but not All Star material. Plus, it will be interesting to see how well he works with Bynum when they play together. Just not a fan of Gasol.

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 11:15:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I hope my memory is serving me well but wasn't Memphis offered a heck of a lot better package from Chicago and Chicago wouldn't do it because besides Noah, a draft pick, and Noccioni they were looking for something else?

I mean how did the Lakers overspend sending Kwame Brown, the rights to someone who has still yet to play in the league in Gasol, Crittendon, and two late 20's draft picks to Memphis for Gasol? That package pales in comparison to the Chicago offer that had been bandied about and a couple of others that were rumored from other teams.

The reason that LA got it done is they offered one of the biggest expiring contracts and draft picks instead of players where Memphis would taken on salary. That's the only reason LA was able to close the deal where others couldn't. Sending expiring contracts of stiffs and unknown unproven players and late 1st round picks isn't overpaying and stealing when you consider the quality of player that LA got.

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 11:24:02 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
The most ridiculous thing I've heard in months. Yeah, Kobe, Kupchak should have traded Kwame for Gasol straight up.

Hey, don't forget Javaris!  Deal-breakaaaaaaaaa!  ;)

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 11:33:01 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
hahahaha
Kobe should be a comedian.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 12:02:27 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Not a Kobe defender here, but I think what he's trying to say is Marc was basically a throw in, and maybe they didn't need to use him as the throw in.  I'm not so sure Memphis perceived him as a throw in, but who knows what they were thinking.
Yup