Author Topic: ESPN Sportscenter Teaser..Red Sox on verge of trading Manny  (Read 39414 times)

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 965
Ugh..here we go. To the Marlins it appears....a sad day for Sox fans. I am a bit bummed at this but I guess it is inevitable...As Long as he does not become a Yankee next year...

What the news outlets are saying and on radio...

Theyre talking with Marlins "in negotiations" was the term used - though he didnt make it seem all that close.
- Bottom line on ESPN News reads a breaking news: "Red Sox in serious discussion with Marlins about trading Manny Ramirez" - seeming b/c of the Gammo report.
- It would be for Hermida and "a couple young players."
- Sox love Hermida.
- He was unsure if Sox would keep Hermida or swing him for a right handed bat.
- He took some more pot shots at Manny, ie for not running out that grounder last night.

Re: ESPN Sportscenter Teaser..Red Sox on verge of trading Manny
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 06:14:20 PM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
I don't know what to think, if this is true.

I hope FLA pays the entire remaining portion of Manny's contract, though I somehow doubt they will.

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 06:15:31 PM »

• Don Nelson
It sounds like things are changing by the minute..literally

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/07/sox_tryingbut.html

It looks like a 3 way is a possiblity as well as Theo wants to protect Big Papi...ugh...this is going to be a crazy next few hours...Servers Be Warned

Re: ESPN Sportscenter Teaser..Red Sox on verge of trading Manny-NOT
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 07:14:27 PM »

• Don Nelson
Here is a better scenario

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/sports/17042677/detail.html

Pick up his option..trade him out of the AL in offseason..sign me up for this option. Yankees be [dang]ed..I for one, do not want see Arod and Manny back to back...

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 07:57:21 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887
Wait until November????

That doesn't make sense to me.  They can get more for him right now than in Nov.

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 08:32:07 PM »

Offline Sun Devil

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Wait until November????

That doesn't make sense to me.  They can get more for him right now than in Nov.

Can't get a world series in November

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 08:46:47 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Wait until November????

Can't get a world series in November
I know that the party line is we can't win the WS without Manny but I am one of those in the minority that no longer believes that.  It is time to trade Manny and get the most we can for him.  The magic is over.  Red Sox Nation is going to have to face this (IMHO).  There will be life after Manny.

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 08:54:46 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Big mistake if they trade him, he is one of the few players whose performance is worth his antics. They should be realizing that there is no way they can get equal value back, and they will still be paying Manny, screw that, that's just bad business and a poor decision. Right now the Sox control Manny's destiny, use his situation to your advantage and don't act foolishly.

Trading Manny would be giving up on the season and defending the World Series Title, which in a City like Boston is not an option.

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 09:04:04 PM »

Offline greenteam17

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 37
Relax, do you seriously think theo would make a move and take his team out of the world series hunt? Obviously not, hes not stupid. Thats why the Sox will be receiving Jason Bay, from the Pirates for 2 of the 3 prospects the Sox get for Manny. Bay is currently hitting .282, 22, 62 with a .377 obp. That easily matches what Manny is giving you right now. Plus his defense and hustle would be a major upgrade. Good deal for the sox. Pull the trigger.

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 09:07:49 PM »

Offline bandonox

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
Big mistake if they trade him, he is one of the few players whose performance is worth his antics. They should be realizing that there is no way they can get equal value back, and they will still be paying Manny, screw that, that's just bad business and a poor decision. Right now the Sox control Manny's destiny, use his situation to your advantage and don't act foolishly.

Trading Manny would be giving up on the season and defending the World Series Title, which in a City like Boston is not an option.

amen.. and a tp
furbush.tumblr.com

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 09:09:25 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
"They haven't asked me for anything," Ramirez told ESPNdeportes.com's Enrique Rojas on the phone from Fenway Park before the Red Sox-Angels matchup on Wednesday night. "The Red Sox don't deserve a player like me," Ramirez said. "During my years here I've seen how they [the Red Sox] have mistreated other great players when they didn't want them to try to turn the fans against them. "The Red Sox did the same with guys like Nomar Garciaparra and Pedro Martinez, and now they do the same with me. Their goal is to paint me as the bad guy," Ramirez added. "I love Boston fans, but the Red Sox don't deserve me. I'm not talking about money. Mental peace has no price and I don't have peace here."
This is what is called irreconcilable, even with a free spirit like Manny.

It is time to face it that the Manny ride is over.

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 09:12:06 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
on SI.com they are talking sox trading Marlins players for Jay Bay.
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 09:17:45 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Jason Bay is definitly a theo player

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 09:19:10 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
That is a very sensible approach.  Take the prospects from Florida (a "buyer") and flip them for a solid player from a team that isn't winning (a "seller').  Pitt would be one place to look, Seattle perhaps another (Seattle has relievers) or maybe even they are looking at a couple of "sellers".  It is much more complicated of course since the Sox will need to get multiple things lined up but if the Florida piece is solid, the rest will fall into place.

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
I think it's time to trade Manny.  I won't be disappointed if we don't but I think his time here is officially over.  They need to get rid of him for a few reasons...

First, day after day he's making a new statement about how he hates it here and that he wants to leave.  If he isn't traded I think that's gonna be very bad for this team later on in the season.  The only way it isn't is if he hits the crap out of the ball and at least helps get us to the World Series.

Second, this team looks dead lately.  They need some kind of deal to reenergize them, need to get some new blood in there.  If Manny is traded and we get a good bat to contine to protect Ortiz, then I think everything will fall into place...hopefully.